Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 258

Thread: In the Hop Garden

  1. #31
    This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    3,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    I guess there's an element of familiarity breeds contempt, MD. They do actually brew some good beers - Silver King, Excelsior and Treacle Stout are great, if in good nick. However, they are also guilty of churning out endless indifferent pale seasonals around 4%, that just merge into each other, character wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    This is'nt a dig at you aleandhearty but why do people think that if a beer is readily available then it is not a decent drink,if that is the case then new brewerys would have to keep opening all the time to keep certain people happy about not drinking the same drinks all the time.
    Just to re-iterate, the main thrust of my whine against Ossett is the fact that they churn out too many insipid occasional brews. This is a view held by quite a few people in the pubs I frequent. Unfortunately, it does tend to impart a slightly jaundiced view of the brewery as a whole, despite the strength of their core brews.

    Al,regarding your point about new breweries opening all the time, I don't really follow your logic. If multi pumped venues have a constantly rotating stock of guest beers, surely they provide enough choice for the drinker?

    I guess it's horses for courses, but my drinking patterns have changed considerably over the last twenty years. At one time Landlord, or Ind Coope Burton Ale were my beers and I'd drink virtually nothing else. However,we live in a golden age for beer lovers. My usual mini-crawl of four pubs has thirty two pumps between them. Even if they all sold a couple of the same regular beers, I wouldn't want to drink them. I love variety and searching for the next WOW! find. (However, that's not to say I must drink totally new beers every session). Otherwise, how do you come across beers such as High Wire, The Accomplice etc?
    Other factors are that I like to support small breweries and a nagging fear that this golden age isn't going to last forever.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

  2. #32
    We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    down 'ere, from oop there
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    ...and a nagging fear that this golden age isn't going to last forever.
    Say it aint so Joe...!

  3. #33
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    and a nagging fear that this golden age isn't going to last forever.
    "I remember about the rabbits, George." "The hell with the rabbits. That’s all you can ever remember is them rabbits."
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  4. #34
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Way out
    Posts
    4,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "I remember about the rabbits, George." "The hell with the rabbits. That’s all you can ever remember is them rabbits."
    "Well,we aint got any" George exploded.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  5. #35
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    1,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Just to re-iterate, the main thrust of my whine against Ossett is the fact that they churn out too many insipid occasional brews. This is a view held by quite a few people in the pubs I frequent. Unfortunately, it does tend to impart a slightly jaundiced view of the brewery as a whole, despite the strength of their core brews.

    Al,regarding your point about new breweries opening all the time, I don't really follow your logic. If multi pumped venues have a constantly rotating stock of guest beers, surely they provide enough choice for the drinker?

    I guess it's horses for courses, but my drinking patterns have changed considerably over the last twenty years. At one time Landlord, or Ind Coope Burton Ale were my beers and I'd drink virtually nothing else. However,we live in a golden age for beer lovers. My usual mini-crawl of four pubs has thirty two pumps between them.
    I was trying to make the point that if you want to have a different drink whenever you go in a pub at some point you would have drunk all the beers from the brewerys so more would have to keep opening to satify your need for more new beers.

    I do take your point about it being hosres for courses,i am probably a bit different to most regular forum users,if i go in a local pub,there is a Spoons less than 5 minutes walk from my house with 10 different beers on i will try one if it tastes good then i will stick with that beer while i am in there.

    My original point was not directed to you but to some others on the forum who think if a beer is readily available then it is a boring beer because you can find a drink of it in lots of their local pubs.

  6. #36
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Way out
    Posts
    4,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    My original point was not directed to you but to some others on the forum who think if a beer is readily available then it is a boring beer because you can find a drink of it in lots of their local pubs.
    Some beers are boring not because they are readily available but because they are bland uninteresting middle of the road beers designed to keep the mainstream happy of which there are more than people who like beers with a bit of taste and edge about them, the former I am talking about are beers such as Bombardier ,Spitfire,Doom Bar, Greene King IPA,mass produced rubbish in my opinion,the chicken Korma's of the beer world. Now some people obviously like them hence their popularity, I dont dislike chicken korma but when out for a ruby, nine times out of ten would be more adventurous.My favourite brewery is Darkstar ,firstly because all their beers are bloody good, but also because they are readily available to me in the south east, whereas beers from brewers like Marble,Thornbridge and Magic Rock plus many others are harder to come by in my locality without trips to the likes of London or Brighton for example which unfortunately I cant afford to do more than once a month or two, so some of these lesser tasted beers build up a certain sense of mysticism about them.
    Anyway enough of all that deep rubbish,at the end of the day you either like,or not, a beer because you actually like it (or not), not on the frequency of its availability.
    Last edited by Mobyduck; 27-09-2012 at 19:55.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  7. #37
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    i prefer to try new beers and with about 8000 different beers brewed every year its unlikely i will have to resort to the mainstream beers ever again.is it not the case that when you get really good beers like Dark Star regularly its impossible to go back to bland beers like doombar etc.i regularly drank Fullers beers for twenty years until i started using a pub with ever changing guests.have say i have drank a lot of poor beers from poor brewers but the good ones make up for it.

  8. #38
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Way out
    Posts
    4,706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    is it not the case that when you get really good beers like Dark Star regularly its impossible to go back to bland beers like doombar etc.
    You have to be pretty desperate to do so ,or very disappointed if that's the only choice.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  9. #39
    Palookaville hondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,052
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

  10. #40
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brentford
    Posts
    2,521

    Default

    having tasted greene king -ipa gold i think the head brewer has wasted his time looking for a new hop for his beer.

Similar Threads

  1. Look in your Garden Shed...
    By arwkrite in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 06-06-2011, 22:11
  2. Garden House, Tooting SW17
    By Maldenman in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-05-2011, 10:26
  3. Hendon Garden - Sunderland
    By ROBCamra in forum That Doesn't Go There!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2011, 09:07
  4. Pete Brown's Beer Blog - Back Garden Bliss
    By Blog Tracker in forum Blog Tracker
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-07-2010, 09:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •