Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 62

Thread: Halifax Crawl - 21 June 2024

  1. #21
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    5,049

    Default

    Finding myself unavoidably in Halifax today for some other reason, I won't be able to join you all on the 21st unfortunately.

    However, I have managed to do some reconnaissance for the team, and I'm sure you'll have a great day out.

    As an aside, I thought the Big 6 fantastic (of the "do places like this really still exist any more" variety), so we'll worth the effort to get there if you can.

    If not, I'm sending this from the Three Pigeons which is almost in the same class, but a lot closer to the town centre.

  2. #22
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    If not, I'm sending this from the Three Pigeons which is almost in the same class, but a lot closer to the town centre.
    ...and the railway station.

    Thx!

  3. #23
    I'll stay on me own Gann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    623

    Default

    I am currently knocking up a couple of options and I have to confess when looking at the Big6 it really is a pub we should do and defo the Three pigeons also. One issue is however that both do not open till 3.00PM on a friday, exposing a bit of a cunning floor in Daves crawl order.

    But the really big issue is how to get to The Big 6 and back. There is a bus from Town centre which drops you a couple of minutes from the pub but as somebody said it only runs once an hour. There are other more frequent busses that go down Kings Cross Street but then from the bus stop its a nine minute walk to the pub and Google has it as a 6 to 7 minute cab ride from the Cab rank on George Square to the pub. (less time than it takes to walk from the bus stop.

    All other pubs open by 1.00PM and are within minutes of each other in town with 6 mins being potentially the longest walk.

    So my proposal would be to knock off a few in the centre, then after 3.30PM get a cab down to the Big 6 (shouldnt be too expensive with four in each one (or even more if we can get a big one) and then back to the centre to finish in The Three Pigeons for a 6 minute stroll back to the station.

    What do people think of that ?
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

  4. #24
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    3,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    One issue is however that both do not open till 3.00PM on a friday, exposing a bit of a cunning floor in Daves crawl order.
    A flaw indeed. The Ossett Brewery concurs with CAMRA in stating, as you mentioned, that the Three Pigeons doesn't open until 3.00pm on a Friday; and this is supposed to be the meet-up pub. The other problem, as mentioned, is the bus conundrum to the Big Six - if it does take an hour's wait for a bus - and we have the world's worst luck - then that's a two-hour return journey. Though of course, we could have a 30-second wait at each end, which wouldn't be a problem. Your proposal to get a cab out to the Big Six then finish in the Three Pigeons does make sense. But where to meet up?
    Last edited by Tris39; 14-06-2024 at 06:03.

  5. #25
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huddersfield Narrow Canal
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I am currently knocking up a couple of options and I have to confess when looking at the Big6 it really is a pub we should do and defo the Three pigeons also. One issue is however that both do not open till 3.00PM on a friday, exposing a bit of a cunning floor in Daves crawl order.

    But the really big issue is how to get to The Big 6 and back. There is a bus from Town centre which drops you a couple of minutes from the pub but as somebody said it only runs once an hour. There are other more frequent busses that go down Kings Cross Street but then from the bus stop its a nine minute walk to the pub and Google has it as a 6 to 7 minute cab ride from the Cab rank on George Square to the pub. (less time than it takes to walk from the bus stop.

    All other pubs open by 1.00PM and are within minutes of each other in town with 6 mins being potentially the longest walk.

    So my proposal would be to knock off a few in the centre, then after 3.30PM get a cab down to the Big 6 (shouldnt be too expensive with four in each one (or even more if we can get a big one) and then back to the centre to finish in The Three Pigeons for a 6 minute stroll back to the station.

    What do people think of that ?
    I agree with this,cabs to the Big 6 at 3pm then back into town with an ultimate finish in the Three Pigeons.

    As Tris says we then just need a starting pub in the town centre open at noon.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  6. #26
    I'll stay on me own Gann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    North London
    Posts
    623

    Default

    The Ring o Bells is the closest decent pub to the station being a 4 minute walk away and opens at 12. And from there onto Dukes ( also opens at 12) and then do a few more to the North of town centre before taxi out to Big 6 and back to the remaining targets in the south of Halifax town centre:
    However north and south is a bit of an arbitrary description as Google would have the walk from the most north target to the most south town centre target of the Three Pigeons as a massive 12 minutes so Halifax does not seem to be the biggest of places and I could even put together a zig zag route for entertainment purposes ( no I won’t ).
    I’m staying over so an end stop time for me is not a problem, but what return trains have people got?
    I will then put together a timed schedule like Dave’s.
    Work is the curse of the drinking Class - Oscar Wilde

  7. #27
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Stockton-on-Tees
    Posts
    897

    Default

    I'll go with the flow.

    Bear in mind Friday's rush hour may start earlier (it's earlier in the north, regardless) and some taxi drivers will avoid it or be picking up their own kids.

  8. #28
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huddersfield Narrow Canal
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    Brian ,Ian,Steve,Clive and myself are going for a curry sometime after 7pm and are staying locally so that's when we will exit the crawl.No rushing to get a train home.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  9. #29
    Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Huddersfield Narrow Canal
    Posts
    3,339

    Default

    Roll Call

    It seems the following people are turning up,apolgies for any omissions and I will keep this list up to date as corrections come in.

    Gann
    Spinko
    Dave M
    Mobyduck
    Big Steve
    Tris 39
    Bucking Fastard
    Clive
    Brian
    Steve
    Ian
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

  10. #30
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out saving pubs and enjoying it.
    Posts
    5,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I’m staying over so an end stop time for me is not a problem, but what return trains have people got?
    I will then put together a timed schedule like Dave’s.
    Me and the Big fella have rooms booked in Bradford, so will likely be heading off somewhen between 7 & 8ish.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Similar Threads

  1. Poll for date of Halifax crawl.
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-04-2024, 16:20
  2. Cambridge PuG Crawl, Friday 5th April 2024
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 12-04-2024, 14:00
  3. Venue for Spring 2024 PuG crawl - The South
    By Quinno in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 29-12-2023, 13:40
  4. The next Pubsgalore Crawl in 2024.
    By Bucking Fastard in forum Pub Crawls
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 21-11-2023, 17:47
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 23:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •