Ads not shown when logged in
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Old photos from 1979

  1. #1
    I Keep Mine Hidden Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    1,165

    Default Old photos from 1979

    I'm sure this has been touched on before. I have access to a few photos of my local pubs from 1979 to add to the site. If I remember the general opinion was that they add to the individual pubs by giving them a bit of history - providing they don't show on the main page.
    The back story to this is that a couple were posted on a local history group I follow so I contacted the poster to ask if he had a photo of my old local - The Anchor . I'm happy to say that the answer was yes. Apparently he decided one day in 1979 to ride around our area and photograph all the pubs.
    I suggested that he join this site and add them but he seems happy to let me do it.
    Some of the pubs are sadly long gone but it has been great seeing them again after all these years. I have at least a dozen and maybe more to come.
    Am I safe in assuming there are no objections?


    I am a salmon !!

  2. #2
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    602

    Default

    Well I for one like seeing old pictures of pubs, especially if the pubs aren't there to see any more.

    Did we ever crack the issue of how to backdate photos?

    Incidentally, I just came across one of Ray's (July 2018 here) which is a picture of a bus taken from a pub - a direct opposite of some of our, errr, less-fussy contributors!
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

  3. #3
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Out saving pubs and enjoying it.
    Posts
    4,806

    Default

    No objections here.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  4. #4
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I'm sure this has been touched on before. I have access to a few photos of my local pubs from 1979 to add to the site. If I remember the general opinion was that they add to the individual pubs by giving them a bit of history - providing they don't show on the main page.
    The back story to this is that a couple were posted on a local history group I follow so I contacted the poster to ask if he had a photo of my old local - The Anchor . I'm happy to say that the answer was yes. Apparently he decided one day in 1979 to ride around our area and photograph all the pubs.
    I suggested that he join this site and add them but he seems happy to let me do it.
    Some of the pubs are sadly long gone but it has been great seeing them again after all these years. I have at least a dozen and maybe more to come.
    Am I safe in assuming there are no objections?
    I think it's a great idea. Two suggestions:

    1) Could you add a short sentence in the review box, something like "Photos added by me on dd/mm/yy were taken by my friend (insert name) in 1979."
    2) You could also add them to the Lost Pubs Project - https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/. (Just follow the Submit Pub link and attach the photos to emails.)
    Come On You Hatters!

  5. #5
    I Keep Mine Hidden Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Well I for one like seeing old pictures of pubs, especially if the pubs aren't there to see any more.
    So do I.


    I am a salmon !!

  6. #6
    I Keep Mine Hidden Delboy20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Black Country
    Posts
    1,165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think it's a great idea. Two suggestions:

    1) Could you add a short sentence in the review box, something like "Photos added by me on dd/mm/yy were taken by my friend (insert name) in 1979."
    2) You could also add them to the Lost Pubs Project - https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/. (Just follow the Submit Pub link and attach the photos to emails.)
    I was thinking the same sort of thing. I will put a comment in to date the pictures.

    I looked at the lost pubs site years ago. I'll take another look and add what I can.


    I am a salmon !!

  7. #7
    I'll stay on me own Lady Grey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    505

    Default

    I quite like looking at old pub photos.
    You could always write the date when the photo was taken, onto the photo using a photoshop programme.

  8. #8
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I think it's a great idea. Two suggestions:

    1) Could you add a short sentence in the review box, something like "Photos added by me on dd/mm/yy were taken by my friend (insert name) in 1979."
    2) You could also add them to the Lost Pubs Project - https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/. (Just follow the Submit Pub link and attach the photos to emails.)
    Yes. And I think Glenn at Lost Pubs would love to have photos of long-demolished pubs.

  9. #9
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    ...and also Pubs Wiki, Pubs by County link at the top of the page's index.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28-01-2020, 10:00
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2018, 13:38
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15-01-2018, 14:57
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2017, 12:52
  5. Photos, please
    By sheffield hatter in forum Requests
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-10-2014, 21:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •