Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Visited Pubs Button

  1. #11
    Still about Mobyduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Locked Down in Hampshire
    Posts
    4,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    On the right hand side of the screen where you can follow areas pubs there should be 3 buttons . Click the bottom one - visited pubs.
    Oh yes, just put my reading glasses on.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

  2. #12
    Pub researcher (unpaid) rpadam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Low Weald
    Posts
    4,012

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    So initially if you click that you have visited it puts up the message "I have visited this pub at some point". It also gives that message where I have based it on a review, so I've changed that so it now says the date that is based on. (It may not be based on most recent review, in fact probably oldest I'm afraid)
    Many thanks for making that tweak Dave.

  3. #13
    This Space For Hire
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    1,659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    You need to be at "Town" level before it's visible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    On the right hand side of the screen where you can follow areas pubs there should be 3 buttons . Click the bottom one - visited pubs.
    Ah got it! Thx

  4. #14
    Between pubs sheffield hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    3,604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    So initially if you click that you have visited it puts up the message "I have visited this pub at some point". It also gives that message where I have based it on a review, so I've changed that so it now says the date that is based on. (It may not be based on most recent review, in fact probably oldest I'm afraid)
    Have you changed this again? I'm now seeing two different messages (taking Barnsley postal town as an example): the pubs I reviewed in 2017 to 2019 say "I visited this pub around 02/11/2017 (based on review)", but the pubs I reviewed in 2013 say "I have visited this pub at some point".

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I guess the important questions for anyone reading this are:-
    Do you want to record that you have visited a pub? I think it is useful to have a record even if you haven't reviewed it.
    Do you want to record a date (either exact or rough)? I can see how it could be useful, but not sure of a good interface to make it easy to do for historic records. Obviously I could add a 'check in' button for mobile version of site for recording as you go.
    How would you feel about other users being able to see which pubs you've visited? I think it could be handy in that someone may not have reviewed somewhere you are thinking of visiting so you could then check with them if it is worth it. But privacy issues maybe?
    Personally, I don't see this being very useful to me for two reasons. One, I'm not really fully into keeping records on a smart phone or an app, I'm more of a notebook-and-spreadsheets guy. Two, some of my uses of the Review field are to record historic information or trailing a new pub opening/changed pub reopening, and are not connected to my being anywhere nearby at the time. I can't see myself trawling through more than two thousand entries in postal towns throughout the UK to correct this.

    However, I can see a 'check in' button for mobile users as being potentially useful, with a view to encouraging activity for new users. There would be no privacy issue as far as I'm concerned if this information was shared publicly, but I can see why others might not be so unbothered; perhaps a 'share' button as well?
    Come On You Hatters!

  5. #15
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

    I guess the important questions for anyone reading this are:-
    Do you want to record that you have visited a pub? I think it is useful to have a record even if you haven't reviewed it.
    Do you want to record a date (either exact or rough)? I can see how it could be useful, but not sure of a good interface to make it easy to do for historic records. Obviously I could add a 'check in' button for mobile version of site for recording as you go.
    How would you feel about other users being able to see which pubs you've visited? I think it could be handy in that someone may not have reviewed somewhere you are thinking of visiting so you could then check with them if it is worth it. But privacy issues maybe?
    After some deliberation, I would find it useful, particularly as a reference tool when out and about without access to my paper records (well, they mostly pre-date electronics!). It would certainly take a bit of data entry but I reckon that would be worthwhile. One slight hesitancy - it looks as though it flags up a possible visit for contributions like photos, map corrections, weblinks etc. These are not necessarily an indication of a visit, whereas a review almost certainly is. It might be useful if there was some differentiation between a possible deduced visit and one I have entered myself.

    I am undecided about the value of a date field, largely due to the impossibility of coping with repeat visits. No problem with others knowing I have been somewhere (but if I haven't reviewed it I probably can't remember much about it!!)
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

  6. #16
    Administrator Dave M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    it looks as though it flags up a possible visit for contributions like photos, map corrections, weblinks etc. These are not necessarily an indication of a visit, whereas a review almost certainly is. It might be useful if there was some differentiation between a possible deduced visit and one I have entered myself.
    It should only be based on reviews, will look into that. You are quite right about differentiating confidence in visits, need to sort that out.

  7. #17
    I'll stay on me own
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    575

    Default

    I have had a play with inserting some entries. not too bad (apart of course from coping with name changes, county boundaries etc etc) - the date select widget is more fiddley than typing the numbers in, but I guess gives more consistent format. Marginally annoying at not being able to edit date (or when it is guessing at a visit) but work-round of deleting and re-inserting is no real problem. The greater question is how to make best use of the output: it's Ok as a live reference tool; outputting on a map would be good; maybe a symbol/flag on the pub entry itself; being able to download lists in some way would be quite handy; a stats output would be interesting. Being tied to postal towns might be a bit limiting though - counties perhaps?
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Similar Threads

  1. Best pubs visited this year
    By sheffield hatter in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-01-2020, 20:08
  2. New pubs visited 2015
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 274
    Last Post: 05-01-2016, 10:01
  3. New pubs visited 2014
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 404
    Last Post: 26-01-2015, 15:13
  4. New pubs visited 2012
    By Delboy20 in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 292
    Last Post: 12-03-2013, 12:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •