Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Serendipitous Moment of the Week

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's good value by any standards You have to grasp the nettle when opportunities like this arise. How many pints did you get through?
    Just a half! I'm always making mistakes like that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Just a half! I'm always making mistakes like that!
    I'm usually making them in the other direction!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Popped outside from the almost empty Fox & Hounds in Caversham yesterday while pals had a tab in the sunshine; was highly surprised when I re-entered, just a few minutes later, to find a coach party had arrived, and there was gillhalfpint and Ray, sat centre room, both in fine fettle. Saw them again later, briefly, in the Nags before they re-boarded the charra and were off. Very pleased to see them, armed with beer diary and enjoying the circuits...

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Great you see you too Trainman. Miss doing the tours with you all, but so much easier doing a pub crawl by coach now we are getting on a bit.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Moored at Fradley Junction with the only option being The Swan which previously offered a pedestrian range of national brands and basic pub grub.
    We found it recently taken over by Everards and now offering four, well kept Everards beers and one guest which earned BOTW. The menu's been rejigged as well and the food was good. All excellent news it being the only pub in the village.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Never had any Phipps beers before yesterdays Northampton trip, I was well impressed with both the IPA (although only 4.3%) and the Golden Mild, two excellent beers.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Never had any Phipps beers before yesterdays Northampton trip, I was well impressed with both the IPA (although only 4.3%) and the Golden Mild, two excellent beers.
    Interesting, as I thought they were OK but not exceptional, maybe I was associating them too much with Watneys! I do have a recollection of a micropub landlady swearing by them. I certainly didn't get to try their Golden Mild.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Interesting, as I thought they were OK but not exceptional, maybe I was associating them too much with Watneys! I do have a recollection of a micropub landlady swearing by them. I certainly didn't get to try their Golden Mild.
    Not the best beers I've ever had but very, very nice and in tip top condition in two different pubs, one being the brewery tap, so you would expect good stuff.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

A glow of gentle contentment spread when I realised that no outstanding candidates for "Worst Pub of the Year 2018" had been visited.
    "Beer is food." Morse, Colin Dexter

Default Abbeydale Black Lurcher 7%

This is a beer that is brewed specially for The Three Stags Heads, a pub I have visited only two or three times in my more than 20 years in Sheffield. (It has limited opening hours - Friday evening, plus Saturday and Sunday - almost like a micro-pub.) So I was surprised to find Abbeydale Black Lurcher on a midweek visit to The Devonshire Cat. Apparently, a (wooden) cask of Black Lurcher was produced for the Dev Cat by Abbeydale for Sheffield Beer Week. It went on last Friday (15th March) and was still in good nick today at the discounted price of £2.75 per pint. I didn't discover the price until I'd already ordered a half, and was immediately tempted to have a pint as well, but eventually contented myself with a second half - it is 7% after all. Although described as an old ale, it comes across as more of a black IPA these days - very nice.
    Come On You Hatters!