Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: London Postcodes

Default London Postcodes

In another thread I asked for the location of The Horse and Groom, Groom Place (just off Belgrave Square) to be changed from Pimlico to Belgravia. RogerB has made a similar point regarding The Banker in EC4. Conrad says that as just having a postcode as the location is a bit dry, PuG has "mapped" all postcodes to a location, and for some reason SW1 has shown up as Pimlico. Fellow Londoners will be well aware that SW1 covers a much larger area than just Pimlico, and I don't think that there is a place name that can accurately describe SW1 in its entirety. The same goes for numerous Central London postcodes/area. In the absence of a better system conrad is disinclined to make any changes at the moment.

So, is there a better system? My own view is that as PuG has recently acquired a number of members with an extensive knowledge of London, he could just let us notify corrections as and when we spot them and eventually the London locations will be in much better shape. Could be a lengthy process, but it is one way of getting there in the end. There will be gray areas where a pub sits between two area, but I don't think that matters too much, and will be a lot better than having a pub stated to be in an area miles from where it really is. Anyone got any ideas on this one?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Default People who understand London

Just one of my I wonder if you can come up with a better idea threads.

Basically this stems from a couple of correction threads we have running asking for London corrections:
    http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...=4943#post4943
    http://forums.pubsgalore.co.uk/showt...=6542#post6542

It is explained a bit in there, but by way of some background. A pub is on our database, and has a number of elements that make it up, these elements help cluster it, for addresses they have a street and a town. The town operates as a way of grouping the pubs on our system, so Bristol is a town.

Just to complicate things a little more the town can either be a postal town in which case it shows under a county so Birmingham is a Postal town in the West Midlands, but Coleshill is a town in the Postal town of Birmingham. So in terms of navigating our system you would go Pubs Galore > West Midlands > Birmingham > Coleshill. And both Birmingham and Coleshill contain pubs.

Anyway this brings us to London, which is for me and Dave is a big mystery, to try and get it to work we dumped the Postal Towns once you are into the London postcodes and instead made each postcode its own Postal Town and gave them a name to offer some guidance, the names were taken from Wikipedia.

It is obvious this is confusing some of our Londoners who actually know London , so I was wondering if there was a better system that would work for Londoners and non-Londoners alike. So if anyone has any bright ideas lets hear them.

Something that occurs to me is that we could make each postcode a Postal Town and then make the names towns in the Postal Towns, but that would mean you end up with SW1 being empty and just containing the districts of Pimlico, Belgravia, etc. Also I am guessing some of these districts broach more than 1 postcode so we are in danger of more than 1 district or misleading names.

What I think it needs:

• Should reference postcode (eg. SW1)
    • Should be usable by people with or without knowledge of London
    • Should not allow duplication of place names
    • Pubs should only be listed once and can only have 1 town

It may be that there are just different bad solutions to this problem, and the maps certainly help but it is worth checking to see if anyone has any cooler ideas.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Hi Rex,

We just crossed over, I will merge my post into yours, it offered a load of background that hopefully will help anyone technically inclined.

Edit: And of course it merged above this post to be nice and confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Just to complicate things a little more the town can either be a postal town in which case it shows under a county so Birmingham is a Postal town in the West Midlands, but Coleshill is a town in the Postal town of Birmingham. So in terms of navigating our system you would go Pubs Galore > West Midlands > Birmingham > Coleshill. And both Birmingham and Coleshill contain pubs.
    But Coleshill is in Warwickshire...

Sorry I'll shut up.
    J.D Wetherspoon = Home of Hoppy: The Silk Kite, Tamworth.. http://www.tamworthblog.co.uk/2009/0...-blogs-review/

This Space For Hire

It's only really the central 'head' London postal districts - those that end in a '1' that cause a problem - the others are numbered alphabetically from the names of the areas they cover.

That could be got round by splitting them into 'villages' and to assist in that the head districts - those ending in a'1' are really a set of several postal districts in their own right - see the entry for SW1 here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SW_postcode_area

You could have something like (very roughly named don't flame me)

SW1A: Whitehall
    SW1E,H,P: Victoria
    SW1V: Pimlico
    SW1W,X: Belgavia
    SW1Y: St James's
    Last edited by NickDavies; 06-02-2010 at 18:12. Reason: clarity...

Former Pubs Galore Coder

That suggestion is a really easy change for us to make as it is basically what is already there, we can just dump the pubs by postcode into those districts if that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    SW1V: Pimlico
    Grrr.. prepare for a flaming!

My work postal code is SW1V and I work in Victoria - not Pimlico!

Though, I guess you could argue that the location is right on the border. Pimlico is literally a stones throw away

I reckon that Nick's suggestion is a definite runner. If we can sort out SW1 then that will be a mighty step forward. There will be pubs that will get mis-attributed (vis HTM69's posting above) but presumably any such can be corrected in the usual way? Nick has made a quick first stab at attributing areas to some of the SW1 "sub postcodes". Do you want suggestions for all of them? Happy to help, but don't want to tread on your toes!

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Ok, so is anyone against me splitting out Pimlico (SW1) to (The full postcodes are included in brackets to allow our search to pluck them out.):
    Belgravia (SW1W, SW1X)
    Pimlico (SW1V)
    St James's (SW1Y)
    Victoria (SW1E, SW1H, SW1P)
    Whitehall (SW1A)

I will leave this suggestion up for a couple of days, and if no one is saying that it is wrong we will go ahead and do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Ok, so is anyone against me splitting out Pimlico (SW1) to (The full postcodes are included in brackets to allow our search to pluck them out.):
    Victoria (SW1E, SW1H, SW1P)

I will leave this suggestion up for a couple of days, and if no one is saying that it is wrong we will go ahead and do it.
    I hate to throw another spanner in the works but I work in SW1H and it comes under Westminster!