Ads not shown when logged in
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast

Thread: Micro Pub

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm finding it increasingly difficult defining what are or are not micropubs, especially without visiting them. What about this place in Hucknall? It seems to be a cross between a pub, café and bike shop!
    The only rigid guideline I can come up with for a venue is that if it doesn't have at least one cask ale then it isn't a micropub.
    One of my concerns is it's becoming more difficult to find good real ale places which happen not to be tiny. Moving to Stockton shortly and I'll be starting my search at well publicised micropubs and will probably stumble on larger places later.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    One of my concerns is it's becoming more difficult to find good real ale places which happen not to be tiny. Moving to Stockton shortly and I'll be starting my search at well publicised micropubs and will probably stumble on larger places later.
    When I was in Teesside I don't think I went to anything other than JDWs and various flavoured micropubs.

This Space For Hire

I'm finding it increasingly difficult defining what are or are not micropubs, especially without visiting them. What about this place in Hucknall? It seems to be a cross between a pub, café and bike shop!
    The only rigid guideline I can come up with for a venue is that if it doesn't have at least one cask ale then it isn't a micropub.
    Like Real Ale . I can't make out if it's a micro. CAMRA says it sells real ale but I'm not convinced that what I had was cask real ale; there certainly aren't any pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Like Real Ale . I can't make out if it's a micro. CAMRA says it sells real ale but I'm not convinced that what I had was cask real ale; there certainly aren't any pumps.
    It looks as though the local CAMRA branch haven't actually reviewed it yet. It appears to me to be an off licence /craft keg venue.

This Space For Hire

Its a bottle shop not a micro pub and it will be keg beer rather than cask.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Its a bottle shop not a micro pub and it will be keg beer rather than cask.
    Thanks for the clarification. The fact it's just keg excludes it as a micropub, not because of the CAMRA revitalisation debate but simply because it's so far removed from the original micropub concept.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Thanks for the clarification. The fact it's just keg excludes it as a micropub, not because of the CAMRA revitalisation debate but simply because it's so far removed from the original micropub concept.
    I know this will anger some people, but I just review it for what it is. It isnt because i dont care, i just dont care in the same way anymore (like photographers putting completely shi*e places on PG as 'pubs'). Priorities change as you experience different things in life.
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I know this will anger some people, but I just review it for what it is. It isnt because i dont care, i just dont care in the same way anymore (like photographers putting completely shi*e places on PG as 'pubs'). Priorities change as you experience different things in life.
    You certainly don't anger me with your viewpoint. The problem is that there's a site option that says Yes or No for a micropub. Dave M added this in the days when they were fairly easy to define without realising unintended consequences!. He added this so that a list of micropubs could be accessed. The micropub model has expanded considerably and there are many borderline cases. What Pub's views on this vary from branch to branch and they don't have an option for it anyway. Given that someone has quoted this site as a good source for getting a list of them pleased me no end so I hope we can carry on marking them even though it's a daunting task!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

You certainly don't anger me with your viewpoint. The problem is that there's a site option that says Yes or No for a micropub. Dave M added this in the days when they were fairly easy to define without realising unintended consequences!. He added this so that a list of micropubs could be accessed. The micropub model has expanded considerably and there are many borderline cases. What Pub's views on this vary from branch to branch and they don't have an option for it anyway. Given that someone has quoted this site as a good source for getting a list of them pleased me no end so I hope we can carry on marking them even though it's a daunting task!
    To be honest, I would accept Micropuby what ever you or Real Ale Ray (in truth, Mrs Real Ale) said about a micropub as you care more and visit more. I did one in Ironbridge today not reviewed by either of you, I thought it ticked the boxes but was also a craft beer place - so all i can do is say what i think (also did the new one in Wolverhampton!). I think with a ticklist of choices it comes down to whoever reviews it last and if they want to argue the toss - i dont, i dont score pubs etc as they will be seen differently by others and am not as scathing as perhaps i could or should be (other than the odd comment!)
    MILD:

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    To be honest, I would accept Micropuby what ever you or Real Ale Ray (in truth, Mrs Real Ale) said about a micropub as you care more and visit more. I did one in Ironbridge today not reviewed by either of you, I thought it ticked the boxes but was also a craft beer place - so all i can do is say what i think (also did the new one in Wolverhampton!). I think with a ticklist of choices it comes down to whoever reviews it last and if they want to argue the toss - i dont, i dont score pubs etc as they will be seen differently by others and am not as scathing as perhaps i could or should be (other than the odd comment!)
    Mrs Ale here, had quite enough of micropubs after going all the way to Burslem yesterday to visit Johny's Micropub, and finding the dreaded closed sign on the door. Of course there was no note on the door to let people know, other than it was supposed to be open at 12. Chatting to the barman in the Bull's Head across the road, he told us it's been closed all week :

Another annoying thing about micros is they might say open at 3pm on their site, you get all the way there and there's a note on the door open at 5pm...rant over
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 28-07-2018 at 09:03.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan