Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Brighton Spring 2018

Has anyone put together a list of pubs yet? Here's the GBG 2018 list but as it's years since I was last in Brighton I couldn't possibly comment.

The Admiral
    The Basketmakers Arms
    Brighton Beer Dispensary
    The Craft Beer Co
    The Evening Star
    The Hanover
    Mitre Tavern
    The Prince Albert
    The Victory Inn

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Has anyone put together a list of pubs yet? Here's the GBG 2018 list but as it's years since I was last in Brighton I couldn't possibly comment.

The Evening Star
    The Craft Beer Co
    Brighton Beer Dispensary
    The Victory Inn
    The Hanover
    The Admiral
    Mitre Tavern
    The Basketmakers Arms
    The Prince Albert
    Thanks for starting the ball rolling, OB.

I've reordered these initial suggestions to make a circuit (starting and ending with the two nearest the station) and Google maps makes it just under four miles (similar to Stockport, but this is before we add any wild cards!).

I've been to six of these (not the Admiral, the Hanover or the Mitre). You can read my reviews of the Basket Makers (my view was skewed by the depletion of available beers and the superabundance of fried fish), the Prince Albert (a suitable last port of call, I think) and the Victory. My favourite of these was the Victory. The Evening Star would be a good place to start a crawl as it's handy for the station. I liked the Beer Dispensary, not so much the Craft Beer Co.

In addition, I've reviewed the following: the Southover (quite a long way out but not as far as the Hanover), Cricketers, Foundry, Earth & Stars, Black Horse, Waggon & Horses, Mash Tun. I liked the Waggon & Horses. The Earth & Stars and the Foundry are not far from the Prince Albert, so might make suitable wild cards for those who have time and capacity before their trains.

I had a look in the King & Queen but didn't have a drink (only one real ale on, I think) and had a drink in the Prince George, but was suffering from Delhi belly at the time so have little to no recollection of the pub. The Seven Stars used to be a nice Fullers pub but is now a ghastly craft ale bar. The North Laine will float the boats of some people.

I've reviewed these in Kemptown: Saint Georges, Barley Mow, Thomas Kemp, Hand in Hand, Saint James. An idea: these might do for anyone who's planning on spending Thursday night in Brighton?

There's a bit of a gap in the above (very early draft) route between the Victory and the Hanover. This could be filled by the Waggon & Horses, the North Laine, The Geese (Have Gone Over The Water) (Nice review from Paul of Horsham) (NB opens at 4pm) and the Southover (NB opens at 3pm) without affecting the overall distance very much. (Or we could go up via the Admiral to the Hanover, then down via Southover and Geese before cutting across the Level to the Mitre.)

Similarly, it might be a good idea to go from the Dispensary to the sea front and along towards the pier, then cut inland on Black Lion Street to the Cricketers before the Victory, rather than try to find a route through the back streets and miss out the sea altogether.

So, here we go (1st draft):

1. The Evening Star
    2. The Craft Beer Co
    3. Brighton Beer Dispensary
    4. Cricketers
    5. The Victory Inn
    6. Waggon & Horses
    7. North Laine
    8. The Geese (Have Gone Over The Water)
    9. Southover
    10. The Hanover
    11. The Admiral
    12. Mitre Tavern
    13. The Basketmakers Arms
    14. Foundry
    15. Earth & Stars
    16. The Prince Albert

OK, hope this stimulates some discussion, especially from people who live near Brighton and may have been to other pubs more recently than I have been to these. (Or been to these and want to disagree with me!)

Cheers
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Anyone returning via London on the Saturday needs to know there's a replacement bus service between Brighton and Three Bridges that weekend.
    Thanks, I didn't notice that when I was booking my trains. It makes just 20 minutes difference, so I'll not lose any sleep over it.

I'm staying in Brighton Thursday and Friday nights and travelling back Saturday morning.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Agreed.

If we assume that the people who haven't spoken up are either a) not planning on doing Brighton or b) happy with either of the proposed dates, I imagine that your suggestion will not produce too many moans.
    Yup. March 23rd is good by me!

Not been to Brighton for a while myself, but looks like a decent list.

Maybe you could have a look at:
    Fiddlers
    Lion & Lobster (pushing the walking limits, but could swing by if looking to catch a view of the sea from the Dispensary)
    Lord Nelson
    Sir Charles Napier
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    Maybe you could have a look at:
    Fiddlers Elbow
    Lion & Lobster (pushing the walking limits, but could swing by if looking to catch a view of the sea from the Dispensary)
    Lord Nelson
    Sir Charles Napier
    Thanks Steve. Hope you'll be joining us.

I can vaguely remember going in the Lion & Lobster in 2001 when I accompanied my mother and brother on a visit of a few days (me and my brothers were all born in Brighton).
    Come On You Hatters!

Thanks Steve. Hope you'll be joining us.

I can vaguely remember going in the Lion & Lobster in 2001 when I accompanied my mother and brother on a visit of a few days (me and my brothers were all born in Brighton).
    From Brighton to Luton to Sheffield, that is quite a trip!

It would be rude not to join you all as I only live 30 minutes along the coast from Brighton. As far as I know, I've been to all the pubs in Brighton (except the Richmond which I will pop into at some point during the day). Many have changed ownership, and name, since my visits so it will be interesting to see how they have changed.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Quote Originally Posted by Strongers View Post
    From Brighton to Luton to Sheffield, that is quite a trip!
    Via Lancaster and Leeds, too! I was only four when we left Brighton, but still got a soft spot for the place.
    Come On You Hatters!

Thanks for starting the ball rolling, OB.

I've reordered these initial suggestions to make a circuit (starting and ending with the two nearest the station) and Google maps makes it just under four miles (similar to Stockport, but this is before we add any wild cards!).

I've been to six of these (not the Admiral, the Hanover or the Mitre). You can read my reviews of the Basket Makers (my view was skewed by the depletion of available beers and the superabundance of fried fish), the Prince Albert (a suitable last port of call, I think) and the Victory. My favourite of these was the Victory. The Evening Star would be a good place to start a crawl as it's handy for the station. I liked the Beer Dispensary, not so much the Craft Beer Co.

In addition, I've reviewed the following: the Southover (quite a long way out but not as far as the Hanover), Cricketers, Foundry, Earth & Stars, Black Horse, Waggon & Horses, Mash Tun. I liked the Waggon & Horses. The Earth & Stars and the Foundry are not far from the Prince Albert, so might make suitable wild cards for those who have time and capacity before their trains.

I had a look in the King & Queen but didn't have a drink (only one real ale on, I think) and had a drink in the Prince George, but was suffering from Delhi belly at the time so have little to no recollection of the pub. The Seven Stars used to be a nice Fullers pub but is now a ghastly craft ale bar. The North Laine will float the boats of some people.

I've reviewed these in Kemptown: Saint Georges, Barley Mow, Thomas Kemp, Hand in Hand, Saint James. An idea: these might do for anyone who's planning on spending Thursday night in Brighton?

There's a bit of a gap in the above (very early draft) route between the Victory and the Hanover. This could be filled by the Waggon & Horses, the North Laine, The Geese (Have Gone Over The Water) (Nice review from Paul of Horsham) (NB opens at 4pm) and the Southover (NB opens at 3pm) without affecting the overall distance very much. (Or we could go up via the Admiral to the Hanover, then down via Southover and Geese before cutting across the Level to the Mitre.)

Similarly, it might be a good idea to go from the Dispensary to the sea front and along towards the pier, then cut inland on Black Lion Street to the Cricketers before the Victory, rather than try to find a route through the back streets and miss out the sea altogether.

So, here we go (1st draft):

1. The Evening Star
    2. The Craft Beer Co
    3. Brighton Beer Dispensary
    4. Cricketers
    5. The Victory Inn
    6. Waggon & Horses
    7. North Laine
    8. The Geese (Have Gone Over The Water)
    9. Southover
    10. The Hanover
    11. The Admiral
    12. Mitre Tavern
    13. The Basketmakers Arms
    14. Foundry
    15. Earth & Stars
    16. The Prince Albert

OK, hope this stimulates some discussion, especially from people who live near Brighton and may have been to other pubs more recently than I have been to these. (Or been to these and want to disagree with me!)

Cheers
    A decent list Will, not been to Brighton for about 18 months and 7 new ones on there for me, one pub I quite like, not far from the station is The Great Eastern despite the beer tending to be a bit pedestrian for my taste.I also enjoyed The Quadrant more than I was expecting to.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Yes, I have a liking for the Great Eastern but agree they could improve with a better ale offering. Surprised Lord Nelson doesn't make the long list despite my feeling that lazy management has deserved a Harveys brewery visit, and subsequent replacement, for a very long time. Not looked at potential route but I also like(d) the Lion and Lobster (I think it changed hands now?), also close to Bankers chippy on West Street. I never spent much time in the laines, have to leave room for a joker at Evening Star, and last visits to Prince Albert have certainly seen that in the ascendancy.

I also like the Stanley Arms, 10 mins down the line at Fishersgate, although I haven't made it last couple of trips, doesn't open until 15:00 Weds-Fri.
    Last edited by trainman; 23-01-2018 at 22:39.