Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defunct pubs: a discussion (aka Britannia - pub or bank?)

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Agree with all of this.

I must admit I add my share of closed pubs, mostly because when I'm out doing photos I'll often come across a building that was obviously a pub (either the remnants of a hanging sign's bracket, or just the name of the house which it's become clearly deriving from the pub it once was, or sometimes the trap for lowering barrels into the cellar) and will photograph it, half expecting to see it already listed on Pubs Galore when I get back to my PC. I reckon the photo makes it clear it's now in residential (or whatever) use, but I should really make a little extra effort and do a bit of research before adding it to the site.
    I took a load off the site as there was no context to them. I love the historical aspect, as you all know, but if people put on ancient pubs without context, they run the risk of having them removed. I await a closed pub from from Pompeii.

With the way the site has developed, it does need an 'archive' category.
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I totally agree with this. An interesting subject, but as it stands ,gets in the way of "live" pub searches.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    I took a load off the site as there was no context to them. I love the historical aspect, as you all know, but if people put on ancient pubs without context, they run the risk of having them removed. I await a closed pub from from Pompeii.

There are lots of closed pubs already from Pompey.

This Space For Hire

I also think they should be moved to a dead pubs list.Also any pub that has closed would be better removed and moved back if it re-opens.Easier said than done no doubt.
    I may have a different agenda from many others on this site as I want decent beer as well as a chance to try new pubs so reviews that are years old seem to be pointless info to me.And as for a review while passing the pub on a bus. Well I never. Rant over. cheers john

This Space For Hire

As there's a box you can tick saying "show closed pubs" whenever you search for anything I'm not sure what the issue is. If you want to see closed pubs you can, if you don't you don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    As there's a box you can tick saying "show closed pubs" whenever you search for anything I'm not sure what the issue is. If you want to see closed pubs you can, if you don't you don't have to.
    Agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Agree 100%.
    I think you're somewhat missing the point some of us are trying to make here:

Distinguishing (easily) between pubs that are closed but their fate has not been decided, as opposed to those that are long gone and are now a house/kebab shop/bank.

Some of the more assiduous travellers like to check the former category out to see what's happening to clarify the situation (I did this myself in Windsor yesterday). If a pub is listed closed and never appears on the search map, we run the risk of losing track of what has re-opened, as those who like to have a look are getting increasingly hampered searching through ever-increasing reams of closed pubs that haven't existed as such for donkey's years and are being added retrospectively. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a labour-intensive exercise. Hence my suggestion for an additional icon to show this and Soups idea for an 'archive' category.

If it's one of those things Dave can set up, then I'm sure the usual suspects will happily assign closed pubs into the right box. And the site improves as a result. Win.
    Last edited by Quinno; 02-03-2014 at 10:38.

Yes I agree with what you say to a point, It is useful seeing closed pubs if you are researching an area you are not familiar with for a pub crawl,however my issue is with pubs that appear as a closed pub that was demolished 50 years ago, pointless clutter in my view. I'm not saying they should be forgotten, but as previously suggested moved to a separate archive spot,as it is an interesting subject.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    I think you're somewhat missing the point some of us are trying to make here:

Distinguishing (easily) between pubs that are closed but their fate has not been decided, as opposed to those that are long gone and are now a house/kebab shop/bank.

Some of the more assiduous travellers like to check the former category out to see what's happening to clarify the situation (I did this myself in Windsor yesterday). If a pub is listed closed and never appears on the search map, we run the risk of losing track of what has re-opened, as those who like to have a look are getting increasingly hampered searching through ever-increasing reams of closed pubs that haven't existed as such for donkey's years and are being added retrospectively. Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a labour-intensive exercise. Hence my suggestion for an additional icon to show this and Soups idea for an 'archive' category.

If it's one of those things Dave can set up, then I'm sure the usual suspects will happily assign closed pubs into the right box. And the site improves as a result. Win.

Well argued Quinno,I agree that if your (and Soupy's) idea of an archive category is technically feasible it would satisfy all parties and improve the site.From my point of view the definition of "archive" would be when the building in question can no longer be brought back into use as a pub.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

If a new icon is added then if they have a picture it helps identify what category some of the closed ones fall into... E.G a block a flats would confirm it's a goner as would original building showing business names/nursing home etc. Help with the tidy up if it happens...