Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I like Black Sheep Beer and I am proud of it!

Even the 'Spoons in Cornwall didn't venture much beyond the local beers when we were last in the area. I was also going to mention the Star at Crowlas for a bit of variety. The Old Ale House in Truro is another that is worth a peek if you are in that area.

It strikes me that Cornwall has taken the whole LocAle concept a little too far in some ways.

I've just been going through my notes of the 10 pubs I visited last month (and yes I really should get them written up and on the site) and I only saw two beers that weren't from one of the big three down there. Those two being Brains SA and Courage Best.

And just to add a bit of an on topic point, I had my first Riggwelter a couple of nights back after a friend bought me a bottle of it. Very nice it was too, shame I only had the one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    shame I only had the one!
    If you'd had 2, you wouldn't have remembered drinking either of them!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Unfortunately, we're travelling down on the 31st. After an 8-9 hour drive and pitching the tent I think we'll be fit for very little.
    If you can't quite make that, you might consider treating yourselves to a B&B at Spreyton's Tom Cobley to sample many of their 20+ beers. Assuming that you are doing M5, then A30 wouldn't be much of a diversion... (hark at me, sounding like a driver!). Anyway, I was gutted to miss this national poty finalist last year, as they were closed the weekend we were nearby.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Had a well kept Black Sheep Bitter at Cadgwith Cove Inn, Cadgwith, Lizard today. Also on there was Otter Bitter. Great change from the big three.

About 6 months ago I had a pint of Black Sheeps Golden Sheep in Alberts bar in Harrogate.

I didn't think much of it as it was gold coloured but had a really strange malty taste. I thought it was probably the bar that wasn't keeping it very well.

Last night I tried another pint in the award winning Baum, knowing that it would be well kept here.

It was sh*te. Clear as a bell it just tasted crap. Simon the landlord agreed with me, so it's not just my taste.

Crossover from the Bloody Awful Beer Of The Week thread I think.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It was sh*te. Clear as a bell it just tasted crap.
    For God's sake ROB, stop sitting on the fence and tell us what you feel! Must admit I'm still curious to try it, but there's no rush after yours and Oggy's judgements.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Heading down to St Ives agin this year, in a couple of weeks. Last year's holiday beers were dominated by the big three (Sharps, Skinners and St Austell) I'm hoping to find something a bit more off the beaten track this year. I might even give The Blue Anchor, Helston a second chance if we're over that way.
    As I hinted on the BOTW thread, Enjoyed the beer in Cornwall much more this year. Probably still dominated by Skinners and St Austell, but there seemed to be a much greater variety of brews available. (The 'Black Prince' was a revelation.) By sheer chance stumbled upon a mini beer festival at The Witchball, The Lizard which featured beers from Chough and Wooden Hand, amongst others.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    but pop to the Star at Crowlas for their beer when over that way.
    Loved the Star, trying a couple of Penzance brews, including Potion No.9. Nearly my pub of the holiday, just pipped by The Star at St Just.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Had the best Black Sheep beer at Embleton, Northumberland in Greys Inn, a 2010 GBG pub. It was Riggwelter and very very drinkable. BOTW for 15.8.10 for me.

Both the Doombar and the Tribute have not been available in one of my locals for a while. Granted they have not tasted great recently but the majority of drinkers now appear to have lager or the one smooth flow on offer.I hope the landlord is just changing to a couple of different ales.