Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Friendly Pubs

Glass Half Full

Default Dog Friendly Pubs

I quite like that many pubs are promoting themselves as dog friendly, to attract dog walkers / owners. Not everyone approves of it. Wetherspoons have a blanket ban on dogs in all their pubs. The Edinburgh Greyfriars Bobby (named after the famous dog that stayed on its dead owners grave for many years) has a no dogs allowed policy. I do like seeing dogs in pubs though. What is he general thinking here on pooches in pubs?

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

Mrs Ale here! I love seeing dogs in pubs, as long as they're well behaved. A cat is always a bonus too, but I'm a massive animal lover anyway...
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Just Missed the Round Brainypool's Avatar

They make a pub feel homely and lived-in - so it's a thumbs up from me, with the caveat that they must be quiet and well-behaved of course.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I'm in favour but then I used to have two (very well behaved ) dogs and many of my friends are dog owners too. I do sympathise with people who come to eat pub food and may not appreciate dogs close by,some pubs will allow dogs in certain sections and not others which seems sensible.My pub quiz venue these days has a resident cat and quite rightly dogs aren't allowed in,to avoid an inadvertant scuffle or worse.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Yes , no problem as long as they are controled, my local has a sign saying" Dogs are very welcome as long as paws are on floors".
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Not having a dogs welcome symbol on What pub or the Q and A section here does distract from a pub's appeal,whether we're visiting with or without our dogs. No objections if we have to sit in an uncarpeted section of the pub-in fact I'm more likely to object to the pub carpet.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    I quite like that many pubs are promoting themselves as dog friendly, to attract dog walkers / owners. Not everyone approves of it. Wetherspoons have a blanket ban on dogs in all their pubs. The Edinburgh Greyfriars Bobby (named after the famous dog that stayed on its dead owners grave for many years) has a no dogs allowed policy. I do like seeing dogs in pubs though. What is he general thinking here on pooches in pubs?
    Yes. As long as they're well behaved, aren't roaming around, sniffing crotches or howling. That goes for the owners too, where once in the Warrington, a dog owner was playing 'fetch' with a tennis ball, hurling it across the full length of the pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Ale Ray View Post
    A cat is always a bonus too,...
    Unless it's having a crap on the mat, like the one in Brum the other week!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    That goes for the owners too...
    So often, that is where the real problem is...

Quote Originally Posted by arthurchappell View Post
    I quite like that many pubs are promoting themselves as dog friendly, to attract dog walkers / owners. What is he general thinking here on pooches in pubs?
    I guess it depends on whether you like dogs or not.

Some of the dogs I see in pubs are quite clearly bored out of their minds. If they were toddlers you could give them some paper and some crayons, but they'd soon get fed up of that, too. That leaves eating biscuits or chews, and picking a fight with other dogs.

I was standing at the bar in the New Barrack Tavern this afternoon when I felt something forcefully insert itself between my legs from behind. It turned out to be a dog's nose, still firmly attached to the rest of its body. The dog's human companion apologised when I told her I thought my last hour had arrived. She wouldn't have put her hand between my legs, so why allow her dog to put his nose there?

Why do dog owners assume that everyone loves their dog - any dog? If I see a dog in a pub I avoid it and pay it no attention, and I want the dog to have the same attitude towards me.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I guess it depends on whether you like dogs or not.
    Why do dog owners assume that everyone loves their dog - any dog?
    Quite - something that my simple mind has never understood...