Ads not shown when logged in
Page 373 of 426 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4260

Thread: Random news of the day

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post

The deal includes The Bear and The Dog & Bacon here in Horsham. If anybody knows about such things, can they advise if I'm likely to be able to get hold of better beer? For the record, I regard Badger Beer as utterly dismal, so I'm hoping for some improvement, however slight.
    I doubt H&W will ever be forgiven for destroying K&B

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Joe Lycett has a go at Mr Humphrey!

https://yorkmix.com/joe-lycett-takes...-in-tadcaster/
    Humphrey has a point...up to a point. What drives me insane are the selfish millennials whose lives revolve around watching noisy YouTube (or similar) videos (or similar) anywhere they like. I was drinking in a Banned Phone Zone last night and although I don't make noises and had no intention of making a call, I wasn't sure if the rule extended to reading the paper on my phone or taking notes.

This Space For Hire

Plight of the pickled onion: how pub snacks went from simple nosh to properly posh

including The Beer House Sheffield

Reaches peak Grauniad here: "At Corto, a craft beer and natural wine bar in Clitheroe, Lancashire, Katie Mather serves sourdough and miso butter or pan con tomate....We’re trying something different that we enjoy about European cafe-bar culture"

I'll stick with the cheese and onion.
    Last edited by NickDavies; 30-09-2021 at 17:05.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Plight of the pickled onion: how pub snacks went from simple nosh to properly posh

including The Beer House Sheffield

Reaches peak Grauniad here: "At Corto, a craft beer and natural wine bar in Clitheroe, Lancashire, Katie Mather serves sourdough and miso butter or pan con tomate....We’re trying something different that we enjoy about European cafe-bar culture"
    Lots of places are doing pickled onion flavour Monster Munch and black pudding scotch eggs are popular here, but the Guinea Grill in Mayfair does very posh food yet serves Tayto crisps; the landlord is Irish though. Am going there for a pint and grub tonight, but it'll be pie 'n' mash at the bar as the restaurant is way too expensive.

Not news as such, but an amusing article in the Irish *u* relating to The Grapes

I'm not sure how pubs without a jar of pickled eggs on a shelf behind the bar are legally allowed to call themselves pubs. Put on in a packet of (preferably walkers) ready salted crisps, shake it about and you have a gourmet meal for one.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyMick View Post
    I'm not sure how pubs without a jar of pickled eggs on a shelf behind the bar are legally allowed to call themselves pubs. Put on in a packet of (preferably walkers) ready salted crisps, shake it about and you have a gourmet meal for one.
    I'm sure there are now generations that don't understand pickled eggs in a pub, I am not amongst them.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I'm sure there are now generations that don't understand pickled eggs in a pub, .
    Never have done,nor scratchings.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Never have done,nor scratchings.
    I make my own flavoured vinegars and love eggs but I've never tried a pickled egg. A few drops on an egg makes it rubbery so I've no idea what would happen to them when steeped in vinegar; I wish pickled onions would make a comeback. As for pork scratchings, I came to them a little over 30 years ago and initially liked them, but then encountered a nipple with a hair on it but threw in the towel when I got an extra large piece, bit into it and got a jet of liquid fat sprayed into my mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I wish pickled onions would make a comeback.
    Oh yes.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    Oh yes.
    These were good, but sadly since his death they obviously are no longer available.