Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BBC2: Alexis Polizzi 'The Fixer' and Hunter's Microbrewery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I don't know them either, but according to the almost defunct GBG they expanded from a five barrel plant to a sixty barrel one. 240 firkins is an awful lot of beer to sell especially outside the holiday season. Devon also has a lot of cider available and a few fairly well established micros. Their four beers listed in the GBG have a range from 3.8% to 4.3% so maybe they are all too similar and not that interesting.
    I had a few when down in Torquay the other month. They weren't that great, though some had a sweet, heavyish taste, almost Scottish in tone. Another issue is that they tended to crop up in lower-grade pubs. Hard to build up volumes and repeat custom if 50% of your ale is cack when served...

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    60 barrel are you sure?

Quite right, the 60 barrel brew house is in fact a 15, he produces 60 FIRKINS a brew. A barrel is 36 gallons, not 9. Maybe someone should point that out...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    Quite right, the 60 barrel brew house is in fact a 15, he produces 60 FIRKINS a brew. A barrel is 36 gallons, not 9. Maybe someone should point that out...
    It will be interesting to see if the error is perpetuated in the imminent 2015 guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post

But Mr Paul Walker did come across as a bit of an amateurish knob.. if the facts are to be believed that he bought his original kit off ebay and paid £40K for a bottling machine from a company with no track record that he never visited..
    This was my overall impression. Why did he need his own bottling kit? We never really saw what the different beers all are but it sounds like the Devon Dreamer (it's called Denbury Dreamer in the 2014 guide) is a pale hoppy beer. If it's his best seller then what was the purpose of the blind tasting with just a small group of people?

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    If it's his best seller then what was the purpose of the blind tasting with just a small group of people?
    Because Stuart Howe didn't really like it that much, preferring the Royal Hunt. The small group contained some beer bloggers and (beer?) sommeliers and so were probably well up on the current beer scene. They also preferred the Royal Hunt signalling to AP that was the beer to concentrate on. It was reckoned that Devon Dreamer's popularity was largely down to its name
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Because Stuart Howe didn't really like it that much, preferring the Royal Hunt. The small group contained some beer bloggers and (beer?) sommeliers and so were probably well up on the current beer scene. They also preferred the Royal Hunt signalling to AP that was the beer to concentrate on. It was reckoned that Devon Dreamer's popularity was largely down to its name
    It also sounds to me like Devon Dreamer is a "summer" style beer which given the brewery's proximity to the South Devon resorts would make it a popular choice at the height of the tourist season. I don't suppose these "experts" or the muppet from Sharp's even took that into account. Doom Bore isn't popular because of any quality it has but because they are part of a global corporation that has the power to muscle their way into the pubcos. Sadly that also includes Wetherspoons. I have to admit I almost lost the will to live when they dragged Sharp's into the programme.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

I watched the programme and clearly editing can produce a "story line " which paints the central subject in a poor light.However he did seem to lack a lot of basic business skills,but I warmed to the man when in conversation with his wife a long way from camera essentially saying why would anyone take note of the tasting opinion of the person responsible for brewing Doom Bar.

The piece of the programme I found interesting was in the design studio and the ideas to change the confused branding used hitherto by Hunters.
    It's such a crowded market and although you need to brew decent ale (jury out on this regarding Hunters) it seems vital to present the right marketing image in a consistent manner.Food for thought there for any aspiring micro,especially when so many pump clips seem to confuse the customer by being overburdened with colours,images,verbage ,strange fonts and weird shapes. Or is it just me ?
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Just watched it. Quite funny really, all the guff about rebranding hasn't hit Torquay yet (I was there a couple of months back), all the pumps where I spotted his beer were all old style ones. So clearly the marketing/organisational side is still fairly backward.

That bottling machine 'debacle' was quite sad but I do wonder which company was making it. There are a number that offer the service....

It's worth a view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Food for thought there for any aspiring micro,especially when so many pump clips seem to confuse the customer by being overburdened with colours,images,verbage ,strange fonts and weird shapes. Or is it just me ?
    Proof of the pudding is in the eating ,so to speak.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The piece of the programme I found interesting was in the design studio and the ideas to change the confused branding used hitherto by Hunters.
    This was one thing I totally agreed with. London brewers like Redemption and even the new kid Wild Card have very recogonisable style pump clips so that a casual glance will immediately show the presence of their beer on a bar. Of course this also has the unwanted effect where a punter that doesn't like the brewery can quickly rule it out as an option.