Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid Rules Stuff

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    A fairly shoddy piece or perhaps an illustration of how "journalism" works, it's trying to suggest this is about the NHS app but doesn't actually say that, it doesn't name names or present any evidence just the supposition of "experts" whose bias and agenda are unknown to us. More of a surprise than the fact that people don't read Ts & Cs is that they continue to believe internet balls.

I wouldn't use any of the pubco apps, partly because of what the article is about, also it would be more effective and efficient if everyone used only the NHS app as then there would be a better chance of identifying as many contacts as possible.
    Yes. The NHS app requires virtually no data because all you need in reality is a phone number to send a text alert - that's it. You're right as far as this being an article of sensationalist journalism with no evidence presented. The reason though why people don't read Ts and Cs is that if you don't agree, you can't use the programme/app. The small print is usually too long, probably to deter people from reading them.
    I too wouldn't want to use a pubco app, especially not the ones that ask for bank details and would give fake info when asked, save for a correct phone number and yes, it would be far simpler if everyone used the NHS app - I don't know why the Government doesn't make it compulsory and if it's a requirement for the hospitality industry, then why not shops?
    Last edited by Tris39; 13-10-2020 at 17:28.

Real Ale Drinker

The whole thing is pointless. Pubs in Liverpool, and everywhere else, have followed and put in place stricter guidelines than most supermarkets have been doing since March.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    The whole thing is pointless. Pubs in Liverpool, and everywhere else, have followed and put in place stricter guidelines than most supermarkets have been doing since March.
    Yes. It increasingly seems that the upsurge has occurred since schools and universities reopened. The most obvious thing to do would be to drop this joy of six rubbish - it's far too large a group size. I can't remember when I last went to the pub in a group of six. Three or four yes, but six? Closing the pubs at 10.00 is also a crazy move. People are just going earlier (which increases concentration of people inside and out) or drinking to get more in, in a shorter period. Outside New Year, I've never seen so many - young - people staggering about.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    The most obvious thing to do would be to drop this joy of six rubbish - it's far too large a group size. I can't remember when I last went to the pub in a group of six. Three or four yes, but six?
    Fewer than six would cause howls from families out for a meal with grandparents and whathaveyou.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Fewer than six would cause howls from families out with grandparents and whathaveyou.
    That's just bad luck. I'm sure people could make sacrifices. My sister and mother live in Oxford only a mile apart and she with the young teenage kids meet up with their mother for a walk in the park; they don't need to go on a pub crawl. Anyhow, it would be a great excuse to avoid the in-laws.

Fewer than six would cause howls from families out for a meal with grandparents and whathaveyou.
    It would also bugger up my weekly pub quiz team.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

And from my workplace, where Pub Thursday is a regular thing in Reading with 5-8 people turning up most weeks.

In some places at the moment our group probably accounts for 30-40% of the evening's takings.

Not to mention casual punters.

I went into a pub at the weekend that only had two tables in the bar due to the 2m rule. Each one had a single person sitting at it, and neither was prepared to share due to our not being in their bubble. So only two people could sit on the bar, and they were about 5m apart.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I got a fleeting message saying that I'd been in a plague pit, but the message disappeared before I could read it and I can't find it, so don't know to what venue it relates or when, which isn't good.
    BBC News: NHS Covid app updated to 'fix' phantom messages

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I've never seen any of the messages the BBC shows, are they the Android versions?