Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another penny off beer duty

This Space For Hire

Default Another penny off beer duty

...another penny in the till for the pubcos?
    Last edited by NickDavies; 19-03-2014 at 13:20.

Last year on the Pubs Galore crawl of Leicester, one of the pubs had a bowl of pennies on the bar and gave one to everyone who bought a pint.
    Come On You Hatters!

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    one of the pubs had a bowl of pennies on the bar and gave one to everyone who bought a pint.
    That means Quinno missed out
    MILD:

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Most pubs seem to sell beer rounded to 0 or 5 these days so not sure if we will get a £2.94 or £3.19 pint.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup Dragon View Post
    That means Quinno missed out

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Most pubs seem to sell beer rounded to 0 or 5 these days so not sure if we will get a £2.94 or £3.19 pint.
    You won't get either, the cut will be absorbed into production costs which means that it'll take a little longer for prices to go up. Don't expect a 1p cut at the bar beyond a short-term gimmick (Tim Martin, I'm looking at you...)

It's the brewers that pay the excise duty so this is good news for them more than anyone. To put it in perspective, a saving of 72p on the production cost of a firkin won't make any difference. The scandal is the way that for years the pubcos and breweries with pubs have used 1p increases on duty to justify a 10-20p increase on a pint, probalby more so in the South East.

Does anyone know what happened with the "Park Bench" beer tax or the relief for beers up to 2.8%?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's the brewers that pay the excise duty so this is good news for them more than anyone. To put it in perspective, a saving of 72p on the production cost of a firkin won't make any difference. The scandal is the way that for years the pubcos and breweries with pubs have used 1p increases on duty to justify a 10-20p increase on a pint, probalby more so in the South East.

Does anyone know what happened with the "Park Bench" beer tax or the relief for beers up to 2.8%?
    They can still get a discount for beers up to 2.8 but it only applies to the bigger brewers.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I had e-mail from Fullers, free pint of London Pride for me.

before the die in ditch real ale fans jump on me my only choice locally is Fullers, or Fullers, so gift horses & teeth spring to my mind, and it is not my normal choice, but any port in storm

At around £3.25 a pint that is 325 pennies back at least, and by taking care of pennies the pounds look after themselves

Not sure I can squeeze any more clichés in there and live
    I drink to make others more interesting

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    They can still get a discount for beers up to 2.8 but it only applies to the bigger brewers.
    I didn't know that! So for all the micros having a bash at making these beers it's more of a challenge or vanity project. I've seen several of these beers in Supermarkets, but they never seem as good value as the Special Offers, Multibuys or best of all line clearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I didn't know that! So for all the micros having a bash at making these beers it's more of a challenge or vanity project. I've seen several of these beers in Supermarkets, but they never seem as good value as the Special Offers, Multibuys or best of all line clearances.
    The 2.8% duty discount applies to all brewers, but it doesn't make much difference to smaller brewers.

According to Rob & Tom from Hand Drawn Monkey it saves them about 72p per barrel which is nothing to them when they have a 6 barrel plant.

Apply the same to e.g. Fullers with several hundred thousand barrels a year and it makes a major difference.

And as you point out HDM brewed Smaller IPA & Smaller Stout just to prove that they could get lots of flavour into a low ABV beer.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas