Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Quiz 01

Default Corona Quiz 01

Beer, Classic Rock and Railways. 16 enthralling questions of no importance whatsoever with a mix of easy and difficukt but if you know the answers they are all easy!
    I believe all of these questions can be unearthed with Google but how many can you answer off the top of your head? There is one question outside these categories.
    If anyone else fancies setting a quiz then feel free! I'm a fan of the Chase and Eggheads but have the right hump with the BBC for dropping Eggheads in favour of that boring tall bloke from Pointless.
    Apologies to younger viewers who will probably struggle with this.

1) Name the three independent Nottingham area breweries from early CAMRA days. I believe attempts have been made to resurrect all of them. (3 points)

2) Bearwood in Brum is notable for having a BCA and a reasonable GK pub close to each other. Which famous female songwriter, keyboard player and singer who is most fanous for being a member of a legendary rock band grew up in Bearwood?

3) What was a Dukedog?

4) Name the brewery that existed in early CAMRA days in the town of St Neots.

5) From where did the name of the 10cc album "Deceptive Bends" come?

6) What does the old Welsh nationalist slogan "Cofiwch Dryweryn" mean and refer to? (2 points)

7) What were the three Southern brewery names that pub giant Ind Coope (aka Allied breweries) resurrected in the 1980s? This was a scam as they had all stopped brewing but can you also name their locations? (6 points)

8) What is the major Welsh town that the Led Zeppelin house Bron Yr Aur overlooks?

9) What was the nickname given to the LNER and BR class A4 steam locomotives? The class included record breaking loco Mallard.

10) How many Batham's pubs currently exist?

11) Name the two major summits that Glasgow and Edinburgh bound WCML trains traverse.(2 poinrs)

12) The home depot of steam locomotives had a code that was attached to the front of the locomotive. What places did these codes represent? 81A, 1B, 50A, 60A, 89C? This was prior to 1963 when changes were made. (5 points)

13) Name the two defunct independent breweries from early CAMRA days that had a Bee in their trading logo. (2 points)

14) Which English city produced these groups, The Moody Blues, Black Sabbath and Duran Duran?

15) In the main, Mild wasn't produced by West of England brewers. What was the nickname applied to the low abv bitters they produced instead?

16) Name the defunct Salisbury brewery that produced a fine dark strong ale called Bishop's Tipple?
    Last edited by Aqualung; 29-03-2020 at 17:52.

Without looking I reckon I know 8 and could make a stab at 3 more; the others I'm clueless about.

I know people who would know #12 off the top of their heads but I'm not one in spite of train spotting propensities (I don't know #9 either, now if it was Bullied's that would be different) and #6 is unlikely to be "Ourselves Alone".

I know 3 of the music based ones and I could take a guess at a few others but I accept your apology because I will struggle with it !

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Without looking I reckon I know 8 and could make a stab at 3 more; the others I'm clueless about.

I know people who would know #12 off the top of their heads but I'm not one in spite of train spotting propensities (I don't know #9 either, now if it was Bullied's that would be different) and #6 is unlikely to be "Ourselves Alone".
    It just goes to show that "if you know them they are easy". I'm going to add a bit to #9 which might make it easier. I can understand the other two being difficult!

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I know 3 of the music based ones and I could take a guess at a few others but I accept your apology because I will struggle with it !
    If you can be bothered the use of Google is acceptable. It's not cheating!

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    If you can be bothered the use of Google is acceptable. It's not cheating!
    Thanks for prompting me to improve my general knowledge! Did a bit of Googling, not so that I could answer the questions, but to see if it would spark any interest. Without Google I was able to have a stab at just half a dozen or so. Interesting that a population of 2,235 qualifies as a major town in Wales! And that the original graffitist of Cofiwch Dryweryn got the initial letter of the second word wrong. Most of it unfortunately was too obscure to enable me to have an educated guess, and not interesting enough for me to want to find out (though I did look up Dukedog - found that it didn't seem any more interesting). Sorry.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    And that the original graffitist of Cofiwch Dryweryn got the initial letter of the second word wrong.
    Have you not heard of mutation in Welsh? It's by far the most difficult aspect of Welsh and it does my head in!! The word for town in Welsh is Tre but you'll often see dre as part of a place name but it still means town. As a result we have Tremadoc (Madoc Town) and Hendre (Old Town).
    In mid Wales and North away from the North Coast a population of 2,235 is regarded as an urban conurbation.

Have you not heard of mutation in Welsh?
    Yes, I've heard of it but apparently the guy who wrote it put a T where it should have mutated to a D! (It was later corrected to a D.)
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

16 enthralling questions of no importance whatsoever with a mix of easy and difficukt but if you know the answers they are all easy!
    Only 14). But Duran Duran took their name from a character in which film?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Only 14). But Duran Duran took their name from a character in which film?
    Ditto. The film is Barbarella (and no I didn't look that up!)
    "Breakneck speed we drown ten pints of bitter"