Ads not shown when logged in
Page 31 of 63 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Wandle for £5.20 should rename it as Swindle or Scandal.
    I regularly see it in Spoons at £2.09 and I don't normally chose it there.. It's an old school cooking pale bitter that I reckon was originally based on Young's Ordinary. I won't drink beer in Central London but used to when I worked there. As far as the increased price for a half pint goes I don't see why beer should be any different from wines and spirits although I find it much more annoying when a venue only sells some options in sizes less than a pint.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I regularly see it in Spoons at £2.09 and I don't normally chose it there.. It's an old school cooking pale bitter that I reckon was originally based on Young's Ordinary. I won't drink beer in Central London but used to when I worked there. As far as the increased price for a half pint goes I don't see why beer should be any different from wines and spirits although I find it much more annoying when a venue only sells some options in sizes less than a pint.
    Agree some beers need to be drank in pints.After drinking mostly halves for the last 12 years or so I have started drinking more pints and quite a few beers that on first tasting I have thought they were pretty bland improve as you drink further done the pint. Bring back quarts of ale.

Agree some beers need to be drank in pints.After drinking mostly halves for the last 12 years or so I have started drinking more pints and quite a few beers that on first tasting I have thought they were pretty bland improve as you drink further done the pint. Bring back quarts of ale.
    I once had a four pint glass but managed to shatter it with boiling water. I recently had an example of this in the Keg & Comfort micropub. I had a pint of St Austell Proper Job which was fine but overall I thought was too sweet. This was followed by a pint of Green Duck Paradise which at first I wasn't sure about but got better down the glass enough for me to order a second.
    As for the price issue, the cost of ANY double spirit in a JDW is just £1.05 more than a single regardless of the price of the single. It's £1.06 if the single price ends in a 9. I remember years ago brandy being the most expensive generic spirit in a pub but in JDWs today it's gin followed by vodka.

This Space For Hire

Little Creatures have open a brewpub in Kings Cross.Their ipa is £6.50 a pint or £4 a half. Keg only .Although as they are an Australian brewery this might mean they are giving you a discount on the larger measures rather than gouging you for a half.Unlikely.

Little Creatures have open a brewpub in Kings Cross.Their ipa is £6.50 a pint or £4 a half. Keg only .Although as they are an Australian brewery this might mean they are giving you a discount on the larger measures rather than gouging you for a half.Unlikely.
    I rather doubt that it has an abv to justify that price.

This Space For Hire

The Cask pub and Kitchen had a lambic beer on today that was kegged in 2012 and they have left it in their cellar to age.
    £36 a pint but only available in thirds.A new record price for a draught beer in London unless you know different.

The Cask pub and Kitchen had a lambic beer on today that was kegged in 2012 and they have left it in their cellar to age.
    £36 a pint but only available in thirds.A new record price for a draught beer in London unless you know different.
    Was it any good?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Can't get close to £36(!) but £5.15 for a very underwhelming TEA here yesterday. Alone, I'd have walked...
    Counterbalanced by a with-voucher £1.99 Jaipur at the Wibbas Down

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Can't get close to £36(!) but £5.15 for a very underwhelming TEA here yesterday. Alone, I'd have walked...
    Counterbalanced by a with-voucher £1.99 Jaipur at the Wibbas Down
    An average beer at a ridiculous price buy unsurprising with it being a Young's house. The demise of Young's is one of several reasons why most London pubs are complete rubbish but an important one.
    Last edited by Aqualung; 09-06-2019 at 13:23. Reason: inserted word most

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    London pubs are complete rubbish
    I'm pretty sure that there are some great pubs in London, so am I going insane?