Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Train Company Special Offers and General Rail Travel Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I've not tried to book advanced tickets on a Saturday but your question did lead me to wonder if there are any clever ruses or Virgin offers to Stoke on Trent for the Summer Pub Crawl on June 15th ?
    If you're returning on the Friday there should be some cheap advance tickets, If it's Saturday and there are no advance tickets then there are two options, the Crewe to Euston London Midland service but not too late as it will be very slow or a Cross Country to Brum and then the slow London Midland service which is only £3.95 with a railcard.
    The Virgin trains are preferable as it's usually only about an hour and a half to Euston. It takes that to get to most places on the South Coast!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    If you're returning on the Friday there should be some cheap advance tickets, If it's Saturday and there are no advance tickets then there are two options, the Crewe to Euston London Midland service but not too late as it will be very slow or a Cross Country to Brum and then the slow London Midland service which is only £3.95 with a railcard.
    The Virgin trains are preferable as it's usually only about an hour and a half to Euston. It takes that to get to most places on the South Coast!
    Thanks,as you say there are some decent advanced fares Euston - Stoke so will make it a day trip.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I checked on the National Rail planner and there are warnings about timetable disruption on the WCML, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ns/184755.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I checked on the National Rail planner and there are warnings about timetable disruption on the WCML, http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...ns/184755.aspx
    Thanks, that probably explains it!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    This bit is quite important:

"Where Advance tickets have not yet gone on sale, customers can still buy Anytime, Off‐Peak and Super Off‐Peak tickets where they are available. If customers buy one of these and later discover a cheaper Advance ticket on sale for the same journey, they should book the Advance ticket and ask for a refund on the original ticket – there will be no admin fee."

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Default Norwich Trains

From the pub crawl 2019 thread :-

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Norwich is inescapably out on a limb transport-wise, though I don't recall the vintage carriages you mention...
    Assuming you travelled from Sheffield you would have been on the Liverpool to Norwich service run by East Midland Trains using Class 158 DMUs which are almost thirty years old. It takes five and a half hours to get from Liverpool to Norwich which is an hour more than it takes to get from London to Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's 254 miles from Norwich to Liverpool.
    The London services are operated by a similar vintage electric loco with carriages and a DVT all inherited from the WCML They are supposed to be getting new EMUs so once again London is first in the queue for new stock.
    In summer some of the Great Yarmouth services are run by Direct Rail Services, a train company which exists mainly to rescue broken down trains. These consist of a rake of ancient coaches with a Class 37 diesel at each end. These locos were first introduced in 1961 so you can be certain they are well over 50 years old.

However, nothing is worse than the Pacers used widely in the North , less so in the S Wales valleys and a few around Exeter. These are described as "railbuses" and were introduced by BR as a stopgap over thirty years ago and were intended to last for just twenty years. They are truly awful!

This Space For Hire

From the pub crawl 2019 thread :-

Assuming you travelled from Sheffield you would have been on the Liverpool to Norwich service run by East Midland Trains using Class 158 DMUs which are almost thirty years old. It takes five and a half hours to get from Liverpool to Norwich which is an hour more than it takes to get from London to Glasgow or Edinburgh. It's 254 miles from Norwich to Liverpool.
    The London services are operated by a similar vintage electric loco with carriages and a DVT all inherited from the WCML They are supposed to be getting new EMUs so once again London is first in the queue for new stock.
    In summer some of the Great Yarmouth services are run by Direct Rail Services, a train company which exists mainly to rescue broken down trains. These consist of a rake of ancient coaches with a Class 37 diesel at each end. These locos were first introduced in 1961 so you can be certain they are well over 50 years old.

However, nothing is worse than the Pacers used widely in the North , less so in the S Wales valleys and a few around Exeter. These are described as "railbuses" and were introduced by BR as a stopgap over thirty years ago and were intended to last for just twenty years. They are truly awful!
    Are you actually my dad in disguise as he worked on the railways all his life and he's doing all the spoons so knowledgeable on everything you've just referred to given your competant knowledge of railways, engines, EMU's/DMU's and rolling stock. Can't beat a class 37.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Are you actually my dad in disguise as he worked on the railways all his life and he's doing all the spoons so knowledgeable on everything you've just referred to given your competant knowledge of railways, engines, EMU's/DMU's and rolling stock. Can't beat a class 37.
    That made me laugh! I've never worked on the railways but my Grandfather used to drive the main line trains out of Euston in steam, diesel and early electric days. I'm not a train spotter but more a rail enthusiast, I couldn't care less what the number of anything is but do want to know what class it is and what train company is running it. I'm quite keen on visiting proper heritage lines I haven;t been to already and found the SVR and WHR this year enormously enjoyable as well as the pubs very close to them.
    I think next year must include a NYM visit.
    Growlers (Class 37s to the uninitiated) are dinosaurs and don't belong on a modern working railway.

Assuming you travelled from Sheffield you would have been on the Liverpool to Norwich service run by East Midland Trains using Class 158 DMUs which are almost thirty years old.
    No, I went via Doncaster and the ECML to Peterborough, that well known border town, because it can be quite a bit cheaper that way, then the slow train via Ely to Norwich.

I've used those Direct Rail Services trains on the Cumbrian Coast - they run them between Carlisle and Barrow in Furness sometimes. They're great - love those old carriages, though the step up to the guard's van can be awkward with a laden bicycle. And those Class 37s! (Though they only use one at a time on that route - pulling going north and pushing on the return journey.)

Yes, the heart sinks when a Pacer comes into view from the platform. Are they really not much more than 30 years old? Hard to credit.
    Come On You Hatters!