Ads not shown when logged in
Page 40 of 94 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Back home after a bit of socially distant boating,the only beer in is Vocation Life & Death so thats the object of my drinking this evening.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

I thought I’d clear a few bottles to make space, so tonight’s mission is two Daleside Morocco Ales and my two remaining St Bernardus Prior 8’s. Might have to booster that with some Magic Rock Cannonball as it’s Saturday night apparently.

This Space For Hire

Three stouts tonight
    arbor -café crème superb 8.5 /10 tonight
    Carlow -irish stout good for the style 7.75/10
    howling hops -sabro stout 6/10 very disappointed with this beer as i really rate HH

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    ... as it’s Saturday night apparently.
    Yes, it's become somewhat irrelevant what night of the week it is.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Yes, it's become somewhat irrelevant what night of the week it is.
    Every day's a Sunday

This Space For Hire

Just been on the Marble Brewing's online order shop and saw the following statement at the checkout: NOTE: We are attempting to fulfil orders on a next-day delivery basis, however due to unprecedented demand & a skeleton staff some orders may be slightly delayed.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Last night these beers from morrisons kept me amused

magic rock -clairvoyance 7.2 score 8.5
    northern monk -order of the faith 6.0 score 7.75
    northern monk -new world 7.6 score 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Managed find an Order of Faith at my local Morrisons, but not the other two. Was going to do a taste test, to see if I came anywhere near your scores, John.
    Back at Morrisons today and found Clairvoyance and Newer World, and as Order of Faith is still lurking in the back of my fridge, I can have a tasting session.

Also on today's expedition, Bad Co Off-Tempo Double IPA 7.4% (also 440ml, and £3 a pop, like the others named above) plus Rooster's Baby Faced Assassin 6.1%, Kirkstall Virtuous IPA 4.5% and the two Allendale beers that I liked from my blind tastings, Wanderlust and Dirty Deeds. (These last were 330ml and I got all four for £6, though they're priced at about £1.85 to £1.95 each.)
    Come On You Hatters!

I topped up my stocks at Tesco's earlier and this caught my eye. 20200609_190730.jpg
    What a wonderful beer, clean and crisp it drinks nothing like its 9.5%,more like a session IPA, I get a brief initial flavour of banana, this soon gives way to a rich lime taste followed by a nice lasting bitterness. Fantastic at £2.50. 9/10. I shall be getting more.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I topped up my stocks at Tesco's earlier and this caught my eye. 20200609_190730.jpg
    What a wonderful beer, clean and crisp it drinks nothing like its 9.5%,more like a session IPA, I get a brief initial flavour of banana, this soon gives way to a rich lime taste followed by a nice lasting bitterness. Fantastic at £2.50. 9/10. I shall be getting more.
    Certainly a decent price, especially if you like citra. Do you like beers made with that hop, by any chance?
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

First up is a can I picked up at Morrisons a couple of weeks ago, Ridgeside Objects in Space 4.8%, described on the 440ml can as a double hopped pale. It's hazy and very pale - grapefruit colour, which doesn't bode well for me after my experience with Pentrich Barricades (see #317 in this thread).

This is how it was described on the brewery's Facebook page prior to release: "A brand new pale ale is in tank and ready to go! Dry hopped with Amarillo, El Dorado and Mosaic; this can only release [I think they mean can-only release] will be extremely easy drinking and has a low level bitterness and juicy body."

Hmm. Probably only easy drinking if you like your beer really fizzy and not tasting very much of beer.

This is what the blurb on the can says: "Hazy, soft and saturated, for 'Objects' we've blended US and European hops to produce heady, stone-fruit and berry aromas. Filled with flavours of tropical fruit pulp, and tempered by a restrained but satisfying bitterness, 'Objects in Space' is a new school pale that knows where it came from." So, blended US and European hops...knows where it came from. Amarillo, El Dorado and Mosaic are all American hops, I believe.

I don't know about stone fruit aroma, but I did get some blackberry on the nose. At first, because the beer was poured and sipped straight from the fridge, I didn't get much flavour at all, just an impression of grapefruit and soda water, but mostly the latter. As the beer approached room temperature it gained a bit more flavour but any low level bitterness remained speculative, if not imaginary. I swilled the second half of my first pouring around in my festival glass to release some of the gas, which was an improvement. (I have low tolerance of carbon dioxide in beer, and often use a fork to release it if drinking a larger amount. Though I did once embarrass myself by using a pen for that purpose in this pub: The Hermitage Bar ) It began to remind me a little of Settle Brewery's Nine Standards Golden Ale that I had in February at this surprisingly good Chef & Brewer pub in Lancaster: Greaves Park, though that was a well balanced beer with a bitter finish, while this is a hop-forward beer with no discernable bitterness.

So, £3 well spent then? I could hardly claim to have enjoyed this beer, having given it a bit of a pasting in the above notes. On the other hand, I've certainly had worse. As I mentioned when banging on about Barricades, this sort of beer reminds me of having to drink grapefruit juice with soda water when taking a course of antibiotics many years ago. This one, to be fair, has a bit of an alcoholic taste about it and the grapefruit flavour, compared with my memory of Barricades, could almost be described as subtle. But to me it still seems like a beer for people who don't like beer. Call me old fashioned (I know you won't let me down).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!