Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dwarf Alert - New Photo Correction Feature

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    My PC was considerably older than that, and when it finally gave up the ghost I was "forced" to buy a new one, which "forced" me to embrace Windows 10.
    I see, when I got mine it was Win 7 or a later version. (Win 8?) so I went for Win 7. I'm guessing that today there is no choice. They keep updating Windows but it takes up more and more resources and apart from stability isn't really that much better.

Just Missed the Round

Just a thought, but could the 90 degree rotation feature not be enabled for mere mortals too? I've learnt that any I take on my phone in portrait rather than landscape show perfectly fine on my phone and on the computer, but once uploaded to the site are 90 degrees out. As such I have learnt to open and re-save the photo on the PC prior to uploading. But for the examples listed by other contributors to this thread, it would save them uploading, realising it's wrong, deleting, taking corrective action and re-submitting. I'm thinking this could work so that the photo was previewed prior to being submitted, or if that is too technically challenging, to add the option to rotate after submitting (in the same way that you can move the watermark from top to bottom and vice versa).

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Just a thought, but could the 90 degree rotation feature not be enabled for mere mortals too? I've learnt that any I take on my phone in portrait rather than landscape show perfectly fine on my phone and on the computer, but once uploaded to the site are 90 degrees out. As such I have learnt to open and re-save the photo on the PC prior to uploading. But for the examples listed by other contributors to this thread, it would save them uploading, realising it's wrong, deleting, taking corrective action and re-submitting. I'm thinking this could work so that the photo was previewed prior to being submitted, or if that is too technically challenging, to add the option to rotate after submitting (in the same way that you can move the watermark from top to bottom and vice versa).
    It is a possibility that I'll enable it for everyone, but need to make sure it actually works first - I think there will be some bugs.

HOWEVER, I've added some extra code that in some cases will be able to detect the correct orientation of photos and automatically rotate them.

So please try uploading some photos from your phone without going through the re-saving process as it may just now work without the need for anyone to need to press a rotate button.

This Space For Hire

Every single one of my photos gets a tweak - however small - in Photoshop prior to uploading, so it would be easy to spot a photo that had its orientation altered. However, I have seen rare examples of my photos that have been rotated through 90 degrees so I suspect that there may be a bit of a bug somewhere.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I've added some extra code that in some cases will be able to detect the correct orientation of photos and automatically rotate them.

So please try uploading some photos from your phone without going through the re-saving process as it may just now work without the need for anyone to need to press a rotate button.
    Excellent, I shall give this a try next time I have one to upload.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    I've added some extra code that in some cases will be able to detect the correct orientation of photos and automatically rotate them.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    Excellent, I shall give this a try next time I have one to upload.
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I had completely forgotten about this advice and had still been manually checking orientation prior to uploading.

I've now uploaded some 'portrait' orientation photos and they appear on the site correctly, without me having to open and save them first.

So a belated thanks Dave, that makes life easier!