Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Hong Kong Blog

Wandering, or wondering, or wandering in.

Default The Hong Kong Blog

In a little under a month I'm heading out to Hong Kong to celebrate a mate's 50th birthday. It's a long flight, it's going to be hot and will no doubt cost me a fortune, but HK is a place I've always wanted to go to. To do it with some mates, and also having a local guide over there, was too good an opportunity to miss. I was persuaded that we should have a blog to cover the trip so rather than use PuG as I've done in the past I've set one up on the Google Blogger site.

You can access it here if you want to follow http://thehodgeblog.blogspot.com/

Any recomendations for pubs and bars always welcome if anyone else has been out there. I'll try to report on any interesting beers if I find any.

Cheers
    Clive
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

http://www.scoopergen.co.uk/Main_Page_again.htm

There is a site www.scoopergen.co.uk

When you get main page click the globe at the bottom and there is a Hong Kong page. Not used to moving links but the one at the top was on when I was on Hong Kong page. If that fails the scoopergen home page should get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    Nothing to do with Hong Kong, but this Scoopergen page is a bit of an internet classic:

http://www.scoopergen.co.uk/Lingo.htm

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

The only bars etc I could recommend would be very out of date, I was there in the 60s, serving in the Royal Navy, so it would be very much changed by now, but the Wanchai area was always lively back then

Glass Half Empty

I recall when I was there about 5 years ago, the most relaxing drinks I had were in Ned Kelly's in Kowloon, in theory an Australian bar, but run by a Welshman with Nepalese staff. Oddly, I can also remember having a useful business-related conversation there with an American auronautical engineer who worked in England. A refreshingly open, welcoming sort of place.
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

I've been 3 times but the last time was 2001. I don't have any specific recommendations but be warned, every time I was there the drinks were ridiculously expensive (both alcoholic and soft) in bars and restaurants but dirt cheap in the shops. What starts as a cheap meal suddenly becomes a bit wallet busting when you have a couple of beers with it! Hong Kong is a fascinating but sometimes frustrating place as you will find. If you get stuck for things to do, take the hydrofoil to Macau for a bit of Portuguese Asia. Look forward to the reports in due course.

Thanks for all the advice.

Roger, we have a Macau trip planned, over on the 7pm ferry and back on the 6am one!

Old Blue, yes, I want to get over on the Star Ferry to Kowloon and the 'real' Hong Kong.

Farway, is there anywhere you didn't go with the Royal Navy, I remember reminiscing with you about pubs in Gibraltar. I think Wanchai is still 'lively'.

Gill, thanks for the link. I picked up The Globe Bar from that and we've booked a table there to watch England's first rugby game against Argentina. The game starts about three hours after we land so we're straight into the action.

I'll try to keep the blog going and report on here with any pub/beer related news.

http://thehodgeblog.blogspot.com/
    I've just joined Alcoholics Anonymous - I still drink, just under a different name.

The Globe was a good recommendation. Difficult to find, especially for our cab driver, but a decent bar, plenty of screens for the rugby and popular with ex-pats. Unfortunately the locally brewed Typhoon Eastern Lightning was off but I made do with Brewdog 5am Saint and a couple of bottles of Youngs Luxury Double Chocolate Stout - a good start to the tour. Went to the White Stag in Wanchai later followed by a number of lager factories.

This Space For Hire

Haven't been there for a while, and some parts can change rapidly.

I think still there - the Brew House is worthwhile.

But the "must do" is the Gents at the bar in the top of the Peninsula Hotel in Kowloon!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Haven't been there for a while, and some parts can change rapidly.

I think still there - the Brew House is worthwhile.

But the "must do" is the Gents at the bar in the top of the Peninsula Hotel in Kowloon!!!!
    Thanks Pangolin, we've been to LKF but if we return again I'll try to find the Brew House.

Spent overnight in Macau, a pretty good replica of Vegas, especially the Venetian. Even won a bit of money. Caught the 6am ferry back just in time for breakfast at the hotel before a few hours kip. Tonight we are off to Lammu Island and one of their famous seafood restaurants.