Ads not shown when logged in
Page 170 of 237 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2361

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Quite a few that I'll need to add to my post-lockdown to do list - I've been to 12, including Canny Mans, an excellent pub which is now bridling at your "token inclusons" gibe. Also in Edinburgh, The Cafe Royal, Guildford and Abbotsford would not be at all out of place on this list. Agree that it wouldn't have hurt to have cast their net a little wider.
    I still have The Canny Mans Xmas message from 1996 or 1997 neatly folded away in a box somewhere.

It's very funny and basically tells you why you won't be getting served over the Xmas holidays (tinsel hatted idiots).

Why his prices will be going up 20p per pint for the duration of the holidays (I have to work when you're on holiday, so I'll make it worth my while).

And many other gems. I'd be surprised if the guvnor that I knew is still around as he was getting on a bit then.

It's "real" name is The Volunteer Arms although I've never heard anyone call it that.

Morningside is a bit of a sod to get to from the city, especially if you're living in Dean Village as I was at the time, but it's worth it.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 20-11-2020 at 15:46.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

I've been to 12, including Canny Mans, an excellent pub which is now bridling at your "token inclusons" gibe.
    I didn't mean for that to come across as a slight to those two pubs, both of which look great - I just meant that in the context of the list, which comprised nearly 60% London pubs, having just one entry each from Scotland and Wales felt like tokenism on the part of the author - as you say, there are several other excellent pubs in Edinburgh alone that could've held their own on the list. Consider the Canny Mans and Ty Coch Inn duly added to my 'to do' list!

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    Morningside is a bit of a sod to get to from the city, especially if you're living in Dean Village as I was at the time, but it's worth it.
    My daughter was living in Marchmont at the time of my visit to Canny Mans in 2014, so quite a pleasant walk, but she now lives in Dunfermline, which would be even more of a trek than Dean Village!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    ...the list, which comprised nearly 60% London pubs, having just one entry each from Scotland and Wales felt like tokenism on the part of the author.
    Yes, I'm sure you realise it wasn't meant as a criticism of you, Leigh! Just the one from Liverpool, too. And Birmingham, for that matter - The Old Joint Stock is quite breath-taking - and I don't just mean the price list.

Consider the Canny Mans and Ty Coch Inn duly added to my 'to do' list!

The Ty Coch Inn seems to be a bit of an odd-one-out on this list, as it's been included for its location rather than the pub building's inherent beauty. I've only been to the Llŷn Peninsula once, and then only as far west as Llanystumdwy, which is only in the armpit, as it were, and thus not offside according to VAR so I'd like to go again when this is all over.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    9 for me too. Some of the descriptions look like they could have been culled from your reviews Tris.
    If so, perhaps it's lazy journalism on the author's part - maybe they haven't actually visited these pubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    9 for me.
    10 for me:

The Black Friar
    The Prince Alfred
    Princess Louise
    The Red Lion
    The Salisbury
    The Tabard
    The Viaduct Tavern
    The Victoria
    The Warrington Hotel
    Windsor Castle

...but again, some of these pubs are perhaps a bit of a victim of their own success as they aren't necessarily great places to drink, just lovely places to look at.

14 for me - just missing the Tabard and the list's token inclusons for Scotland and Wales. Some good pubs on there, although they could've cast their net a little wider.
    Quite a few that I'll need to add to my post-lockdown to do list - I've been to 12, including Canny Mans, an excellent pub which is now bridling at your "token inclusons" gibe. Also in Edinburgh, The Cafe Royal, Guildford and Abbotsford would not be at all out of place on this list. Agree that it wouldn't have hurt to have cast their net a little wider.
    I wasn't that taken with the Tabard, especially the dreadful service and AstroTurf beer garden. It's ok but I don't think it belongs on this list, IMHO. However, what should have been included is The Salisbury Hotel, because this really is spectacular, and with such few reviews too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    However, what should have been included is The Salisbury Hotel, because this really is spectacular, and with such few reviews too.
    Wow!!!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Agree on you with the Tabard interesting pub history but otherwise dull interior.

This Space For Hire

Wow!!!
    That's what I said when I walked in. Another very ornate pub - by the same architect and run by the same company - is The Queens Hotel which should have made the above list and is a must-visit for anyone with an interest in this type of establishment.

This Space For Hire

14 for me - just missing the Tabard and the list's token inclusons for Scotland and Wales. Some good pubs on there, although they could've cast their net a little wider.
    Here we are then:

Scotland

Wales

Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Here we are then:

Scotland

Wales

Northern Ireland
    I certainly wouldn't put The Pear Tree in ANY list of good pubs, never mind the metropolis that is Edinburgh. It's corporate and generic.

Agree with Kelly's Cellars and Duke of York in Belfast though.
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 23-11-2020 at 18:59.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas