Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Take the Doombar challenge

I took the challenge Had a Pint Doom Bar or should that be glum bar in the Wetherspoons The Admiral Byng it was not inspiring at all very weak and bland tasting not a patch on years ago. Same as London Pride it just not the same now.
    Don't You just hate Pubs that say
    ( We don't stock any Real Ales as theres Just no call for it.)

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I'm off now down to Kelham Island in hope of finding something more interesting.
    Dark Star Darkness 3.5% at Kelham Island Tavern, Wharfedale Black 3.7% at The Fat Cat and Little Ale Cart Annesley Runner Stout 5.2% at The Wellington. Yummy!
    Come On You Hatters!

Dark Star Darkness 3.5% at Kelham Island Tavern, Wharfedale Black 3.7% at The Fat Cat and Little Ale Cart Annesley Runner Stout 5.2% at The Wellington. Yummy!
    now your talking
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

That was your reward for going beyond the call of duty with 3 pints of Doombar.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    The problem is the same with Pride and most other mass produced beers. If conditioned and served correctly you won't find much technically wrong with them. But most of it goes in chain pubs as the default real ale where no-one has much idea what they're doing, and even if they do they're too lazy to bother. It will be served a few hours after it's landed in the cellar without secondary fermentation, and still be being served flat as a pancake four or five or six days later. During the day you've got a good chance of getting something that been sitting in the line for several hours and the lines themselves will be none too clean. The same may well go for the glassware. Much of that is what turned people off real ale in favour of keg bitter and then lager 50 or 60 years ago and it's still going on today.
    I saw Doombar in a pub at lunchtime Friday but avoided it as it would have been the first one pulled that day. . Although in a good beer pub that should not be a problem. I would not worry about secondary fermentation as Sharps have said before 80 percent of their beer goes out bright and needs little or no settling.Something the bigger brewers are doing to quicken turnover.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I saw Doombar in a pub at lunchtime Friday but avoided it .
    You started it ,you cant avoid for ever, just go for it.
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    You started it ,you cant avoid for ever, just go for it.
    I have.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I have.
    Serves you right.
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Much of that is what turned people off real ale in favour of keg bitter and then lager 50 or 60 years ago and it's still going on today.
    Too true and I think we're running the danger of that repeating itself right now.

I managed a couple of halves in different pubs last night, unedited notes straight off my phone;

Pub #1
    Sampled as fourth beer of a slow evenings drinking and proceeded by a selection of other mainly bland session beers: Bland with a slightly fruity taste, thin body, not much aroma, the half I sampled was in excellent condition with just the right amount of natural carbonation. Not on the "avoid like the plague " list but just a third rate beer.

Pub #2
    This time a thickish malty syrup with faint fruitiness still bland and less appealing than the previous pub but to be fair I had been warned this was and I quote "a shithole".