Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Countryfile Magazine 2014-15 Awards

Default BBC Countryfile Magazine 2014-15 Awards

BBC Countryfile Magazine has opened its 2014-15 Awards. One of the categories is Rural Pub of the Year.
    CAMRA has nominated 10 pubs:

Surrey Oak in Newdigate, Surrey
    The Pilot in Swansea, Glamorgan
    The Salutation Inn in Ham, Gloucestershire
    The Windmill in Sevenoaks, Kent
    The John Bull in Alnwick, Northumberland
    The Steam Packet Inn on Isle of Withorn, Dumfries and Galloway
    The Freshfield in Formby, Merseyside
    The Prince of Wales in Foxfield, Cumbria
    Five Bells in Wickham, Berkshire
    The Harewood Arms in Broadbottom, Cheshire

To vote either visit the magazine's awards webpage (the CAMRA nominated list is here) or email awards@countryfile.com .

I haven’t heard of any of them. I feel like I’m missing out!
    Waes hael!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

There's only one for me, Freshfield in Formby.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

It's a big fat zero for me although I have been to a few pubs in Alnwick but have no idea what they were.
    As for the Surrey Oaks I've only heard of it in relatively recent years. The target pub in that area was always the K&B Plough at Blackbrook, often on a Sunday Lunchtime with a shambolic return to the Smoke punctuated by a stop at a burger bar for motorised bikers somewhere near Box Hill.

Hold on! How can a pub in Alnwick be a rural pub??
    EDIT: I definitely haven't been here as it is described as being in a new part of Alnwick, even so I would hardly call it a rural pub. It's not exactly the Tan Hill Inn is it?
    How did CAMRA select these ten pubs?
    Last edited by Aqualung; 11-01-2015 at 22:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    It's a big fat zero for me although I have been to a few pubs in Alnwick but have no idea what they were.
    As for the Surrey Oaks I've only heard of it in relatively recent years. The target pub in that area was always the K&B Plough at Blackbrook, often on a Sunday Lunchtime with a shambolic return to the Smoke punctuated by a stop at a burger bar for motorised bikers somewhere near Box Hill.
    I've been to the Soaks a few times, but the longstanding landlord, with the (for the Southeast)adventurous beer buying policy has retired, and word has it (at least on the Dark Side, which seems to be fairly active thereabouts)is that the new management are less enterprising. However, I haven't been since the change. Nor have I been to the only other pub in my manor, The Windmill at Sevenoaks Weald:it does have good reports on pubsandbeer.co.uk.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    How did CAMRA select these ten pubs?
    All of these pubs were in the final 16 for this year's CAMRA National Pub of the Year award. Out of these 10, I've only been to the Pilot and that was back in my pre-ale drinking days as a student. I believe it's a brew-pub nowadays - must get back there and give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    All of these pubs were in the final 16 for this year's CAMRA National Pub of the Year award...
    The list does appear to have just been lifted from the Press Release. I wouldn't call a number of these "rural" either, unless your definition of rural is "not actually in a city street"

I haven't been to any, sadly just missed out on a trip to The Prince of Wales which is extremely highly rated.

I thought when I was adding the pub links that some of them appeared to be in suburban areas. I had to double check whether I had the right pubs.
    Surely there are enough places in the UK National Parks, like the Peak District and Snowdonia, to come up with a better list than this one.
    Waes hael!

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I haven't been to any, sadly just missed out on a trip to The Prince of Wales which is extremely highly rated.
    This is the only one I've been to, and it's definitely worth the trip, though it is a little bit out of the way. The trains stop a few yards from the pub, but it's a very infrequent service from Barrow in Furness, and on Sundays there are no trains at all. If you are out this way, combine a visit to the Prince of Wales with the nearby Manor Arms Hotel in Broughton, or possibly The Punchbowl, further along the line towards Millom, if trains suit.
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    I thought when I was adding the pub links that some of them appeared to be in suburban areas. I had to double check whether I had the right pubs.
    Surely there are enough places in the UK National Parks, like the Peak District and Snowdonia, to come up with a better list than this one.
    You don't even have to go to the National Parks, there are plenty of pubs in the Home Counties and SE England that are genuinely rural, even in Greater London there are a few that are just as rural as that one in Alnwick.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wittenden View Post
    I've been to the Soaks a few times, but the longstanding landlord, with the (for the Southeast)adventurous beer buying policy has retired, and word has it (at least on the Dark Side, which seems to be fairly active thereabouts)is that the new management are less enterprising. However, I haven't been since the change. Nor have I been to the only other pub in my manor, The Windmill at Sevenoaks Weald:it does have good reports on pubsandbeer.co.uk.
    It's been many a long year since I've been to the Surrey Oaks,probably the mid 80's .That's the only one on this list that I have entered.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson