Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: American Pale Ale: Septic or Antiseptic Hops?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I would like to add Milestone American Pale Ale to the Less Drinkable category. If this beer is an APA then I'm an Aborigine.
    Having tried it soon after the excellent ELB Cowcatcher I can assure you that it is nothing more than a boring standard pale 4.8% beer. I have no faith in this brewer at all.
    I usually avoid Milestone beers.The Bree Louise has them on everytime I visit.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I agree ,their ales never really suited for me.Also easy to get them mixed up with Millstone which IMHO is a pretty decent brewer.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    I agree ,their ales never really suited for me.Also easy to get them mixed up with Millstone which IMHO is a pretty decent brewer.
    Yes its easy to confuse these brewers but not the taste of the beers.Millstone -Tiger Rut is decent but True Grit is a top beer imo.

I couldn't agree more with the comments above re Milestone and Millstone. Milestone beers seem to show up in 'spoons fairly regularly.

Update:

The Drinkable

Blue Monkey - US Ape 7.5% (TP)
    Burning Sky - Aurora (BF)
    Butcombe - Great Grey Owl 3.6% (MD)
    Church End - Fallen Angel 5% (TP)
    Darkstar - American Pale Ale 4.7% (TP)
    Hackney Brewery - Pale Ale 4.5% (MD)
    Hop Fuzz - Old American Pale 4.2% (Wit)
    Long Man - APA 4.8% (Aqua)
    Magic Rock - High Wire 5.5% (LC)
    Portobello - APA 5% (Aqua)
    Sadlers - Hop Monster 5% (LC)
    St Austell - Proper Job 4.5% (LC)
    Tillingbourne - Hop Troll (BF)

The Less Drinkable

Big Hand - Zeta 3.6% (TP)
    Caledonian - All American 4.1% (MD)
    Greene King - Yardbird 4% (BF by proxy)
    Milestone - American Pale Ale 4.6% (Aqua)
    Portobello - American Pale Ale 5% (BF, MD)

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Have to admit I used to get Millstone and Milestone mixed up, quite a lot. Plus, Phoenix and Pictish, even though they sound nothing alike.

By sheer coincidence, I tried the Milestone Sao Paolo Porter, in The Hop, Wakefield, yesterday afternoon. The barman waited until I'd finished then asked me what I thought of it. In all honesty, I didn't like it much, thinking it had unsettling savoury notes of Marmite and cheese. The barman told me that several punters had thought it very odd, with one even picking up hints of mint! They're obviously just one of those brewers. (See also Cottage and Brentwood).
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post

They're obviously just one of those brewers. (See also Cottage and Brentwood).
    I wouldn't put Brentwood in the same category as Milestone and most definitely not Cottage. They supply Locale beers to the Chingford Spoons and while ELB (Pale excepted) and most Portobello beers are better they aren't that bad. The Best is just an imitation of Courage Best and their Winter Warmer is a bit odd as it isn't dark or strong. Their Summer Virgin tried recently was pleasant enough and their Marvelous Maple Mild nearly made it to BOTW. They have an "experimental" wing now called Elephant's School. I've only tried two of these but they were OK.
    Over the Festive period their were at least four seasonal beers from Milestone in the William that they struggled to sell. They all looked and tasted the same, dark and very mediocre.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I wouldn't put Brentwood in the same category as Milestone and most definitely not Cottage. .. their Marvelous Maple Mild nearly made it to BOTW.
    Mmm. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I've never come across a Brentwood beer I like yet. I remember when you waxed lyrical about the Maple Mild, because I thought it really disappointing. The only Cottage beer that's done anything for me recently was their Junga and remember writing at the time something along the lines of Cottage in tasty beer shock, horror!

Being generous, with Cottage based in Somerset and Brentwood in Essex, it may be their beers don't travel too well, but other breweries seem to manage just fine. Also, I guess, there's the manner of dispense. I'm not even going to mention the 'S'-word, as I don't want to get Quinno into a lather (again ). Finally, we're blessed with so many breweries up here, I think we're spoilt for choice and anything that's not up to snuff just fails in comparison.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Mmm. I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I've never come across a Brentwood beer I like yet. I remember when you waxed lyrical about the Maple Mild, because I thought it really disappointing. The only Cottage beer that's done anything for me recently was their Junga and remember writing at the time something along the lines of Cottage in tasty beer shock, horror!

Being generous, with Cottage based in Somerset and Brentwood in Essex, it may be their beers don't travel too well, but other breweries seem to manage just fine. Also, I guess, there's the manner of dispense. I'm not even going to mention the 'S'-word, as I don't want to get Quinno into a lather (again ). Finally, we're blessed with so many breweries up here, I think we're spoilt for choice and anything that's not up to snuff just fails in comparison.
    I don't recall ever having a Brentwood beer but have had quite a few from Cottage , initially I thought their beers were OK, but over the last 4 or 5 years felt they had gone downhill, to be fair I haven't tried any in the last year.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'll stay on me own

I asked for a weaker beer in the Old Red Lion Kennington on Saturday,i could not see what was on the handpumps because a crowd of people were near them,
    the friendly landlord then offered me a taster of Cottage Sticky Wicket,it tasted crap,i then had the chance to see the pumps and i asked for a taster of Twickenham Naked ladies which was really nice so i opted for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I don't recall ever having a Brentwood beer but have had quite a few from Cottage , initially I thought their beers were OK, but over the last 4 or 5 years felt they had gone downhill, to be fair I haven't tried any in the last year.
    I tell a lie, I had a pint of Cottage -Battle of the Blues here in April, (Al's post above reminded me) and from my sometimes sketchy memory I think it was half decent.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields