Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Disappointment of the week

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    That's a great shame for such an excellent brewer,they really should change the name. I do hope the reference that the new recipe will "fool all but the crustiest of sea dogs" isn't a personal dig
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thuck Phat View Post
    As long as they don't mess about with the Plum Porter.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

I'm puzzled by the change to Steerage, which the press release says is prompted by the advent of "extra sumptuous hops" that have led to the "market for this style of beer diminish[ing]", so they now want "to pack even more flavour" into the beer. To achieve this end, they are sticking with "the same recipe" but adding "slightly more pale malt". Yeah, right, a little extra malt should bring those lovers of "extra sumptuous hops " back to Titanic Steerage, no problem.
    Come On You Hatters!

I can't help thinking that some of these older micros like Titanic, Butcombe and most definitely Cottage are selling out. I don't hold Titanic with the same regard that others seem to and if I'm honest the same goes for Oakham. I'm not saying that Oakham or Titanic are rubbish like Cottage, but when I get to try their beers they are good but rarely outstanding.
    Nearly twenty years ago I went to Stafford to try a Titanic tied house right by the station. It was a hot day and the beers were coming up luke warm and completely disappointing.
    Given that East Midland cheap discounted singles have risen by nearly three quid this year maybe I should visit Stoke, a place I've never been to and know more about the pots from watching saddo daytime TV antique shows than the pubs!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Earlier this evening I requested a travelcard (with network card discount) for tmw.
    A couple of weeks ago £5.90, now £7.90 (or undiscounted up from ~£8.50 to £12.00)!!!!!!
    Either way, that's upwards of a 33% price increase!! WTF????????????????

How the heck was that not highlighted and lambasted on London News??

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    As long as they don't mess about with the Plum Porter.
    Did a brewery tour of Titanic and got 3 free pints - Titanic Plum Porter a favourite of mine too, and went down well.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Earlier this evening I requested a travelcard (with network card discount) for tmw.
    A couple of weeks ago £5.90, now £7.90 (or undiscounted up from ~£8.50 to £12.00)!!!!!!
    Either way, that's upwards of a 33% price increase!! WTF????????????????

How the heck was that not highlighted and lambasted on London News??
    Agreed that is outrageous. The East Midlands Trains increases are possibly steeper, last year's discounted advance single tickets to Derby, Loughborough abd Sheffield were £5.95. This year they are £9.25 which means I probably won't bother with the area at all. Cheap Virgin, Southern, Chiltern and East Coast advance tickets are unchanged. The Southern go anywhere ticket is now £17.90 (no discounts available) so I won't be using it again after next month, it was just £12.00 in 2013.
    SW and SE trains seem to be the worst companies from London as they don't seem to do any cheap advance tickets on a regular basis at all. Farce Great Western cheap advance tickets are not really all that cheap.

This Space For Hire

No plums are used in the making of Titanic -plum porter.Not a lot of people know that.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I can't help thinking that some of these older micros like Titanic, Butcombe and most definitely Cottage are selling out. I don't hold Titanic with the same regard that others seem to and if I'm honest the same goes for Oakham. I'm not saying that Oakham or Titanic are rubbish like Cottage, but when I get to try their beers they are good but rarely outstanding.
    Nearly twenty years ago I went to Stafford to try a Titanic tied house right by the station. It was a hot day and the beers were coming up luke warm and completely disappointing.
    Given that East Midland cheap discounted singles have risen by nearly three quid this year maybe I should visit Stoke, a place I've never been to and know more about the pots from watching saddo daytime TV antique shows than the pubs!
    I am glad you are not saying Titanic or Oakham are rubbish.