Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I hate Tetley's and think everyone should know!

This Space For Hire

Default I hate Tetley's and think everyone should know!

As someone who has never had a good pint of anything brewed by Tetley's in my life, and had to put up with living across from it with their alarms going off at any time of day, emergency vents being opened due to their being unable to control their brewing process, trucks crashing over their roadhumps day and nights when fully loaded with barrels, I am not disappointed in the slightest.

A brewery like Tetley's closes. Breweries like Thornbridge, Leeds, Brewdog and and Kirkstall open. It's win-win.

One fewer boring brown beer, one more interesting hoppy ale.

Admin edit: This thread has been split off from the Tetleys of Leeds – in memorium thread so that those who want to enjoy the other thread can.
    Last edited by Conrad; 10-06-2011 at 23:03. Reason: Clarification

I'll stay on me own

I have to disagree with what you have said.

Any brewery that closes down is a sad day in my opinion and Tetley bitter and mild have in my opinion been very nice drinks especially when drunk in its heartlands in Yorkshire.

As for one less boring brown beer,i think we should enjoy all beer styles i like light hoppy beers but also like brown beers, mild, stout and porters.

I think is is far more interesting to see different beer styles on the bar.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    I have to disagree with what you have said.

Any brewery that closes down is a sad day in my opinion
    Even when their beers have always been at best boring, and at worst offensive to you? In a capitalist society, which ours is unfortunately drifting from, we need creative destruction. The weakest need to go to the wall, and tetley's recently have been a very weak brewery.

and Tetley bitter and mild have in my opinion been very nice drinks especially when drunk in its heartlands in Yorkshire.
    Yorkshire has many better breweries now. Leeds, Kirkstall, Burley St, Yorkshire Dales Askrigg are all churning out much better, more interesting, and tastier brews. I do not begrudge the passing of an old brewery when they are no longer serving good beers.

I would however begrudge the passing of beer styles that people like to drink, but that isn't happening here.

As for one less boring brown beer,i think we should enjoy all beer styles i like light hoppy beers but also like brown beers, mild, stout and porters.
    But we have enough BBBs everywhere. Every single pub has one of them on the bar. You'll most likely find them in a pub near that's about to close down for not having any interesting beer on.

I think is is far more interesting to see different beer styles on the bar.
    I agree, and the pubs that have a variety of styles on tend to find the BBBs are the ones that just sit there untouched.

Thanks mate, my motive was to mark the passing of a formerly great brewery not argue the toss about golden ales versus bitter beers or encourage some naive tripe about the capitalist system.

Admin edit: Referring to the fact it was originally part of the other Tetley's thread.
    Last edited by Conrad; 10-06-2011 at 23:04. Reason: Clarification

This Space For Hire

I went and forgot Ossett.

This Space For Hire

And Fernandes.

Spout the names of as many small Yorkshire breweries as you wish, even taken together they don't sell as much beer as the Tetley brands, in a capitalist system they wouldn't even exist because a) there wouldn't be Progressive Beer Duty and b) large companies like Carlsberg would easily crush them if they got too big. Tetley Leeds is closing for the good business reasons that there is capacity elsewhere and Carlsberg can realise the value of a lucrative city centre site. Any ideas about the quality of its products having any relevance to the closure is absurd, the Tetley brands will continue to be made and to sell much more than a few niche market suppliers. There is no linkage between where Carlsberg brew Tetleys and some bloke starting to brew hop tea in his shed, to think there is any shows a total lack of understanding of the true state of the UK beer market.

This Space For Hire

The beer scene in Leeds tonight:

1) Boring bars: people drinking boring brown beer talking about boring brown beer stroking their beards and wondering what boring brown beer brewers are doing with their sandals
    2) OK bars: people doing their usual Friday night thing with fizzy stuff, quite acceptably. The next generation is needed to pay off the debt the current one has built up after all. It's not like they're gonna do it.
    3) Good beer bars: people drinking good beer wondering what people are doing supping in the run-down pubs that only serve boring brown beer and Carling. Delirium Tremens, hic.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkin Donuts View Post
    This is the key, A&H, quite right. The closure ...oh no, wait a mo' ...the relocation is symbolic. It's not about the beer, it's about the end of an almost 200 year close association with the city, the county, and its citizens. Regardless of what you think about the beer, mourn the loss of the symbol.
    It's only beer. And it probably wasn't even that for the last twenty years, it was just boring fizyy brown nothingness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    It's only beer. And it probably wasn't even that for the last twenty years, it was just boring fizyy brown nothingness.
    It's community and conviviality,though the hedgies and assetstrippers have done their best to ruin it.
    I thought I was replying to the Tetley in memoriam thread. Just shows what a bottle of Hopdaemon Green Helles can do.
    Last edited by Wittenden; 10-06-2011 at 23:24.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.