Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Autumn 2019 Shrewsbury Crawl Dates and Venues

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    For some reason the Dolphin is not in the latest GBG.
    Perhaps Oggy can enlighten us?

...surely the nearest [to the station] is the Salopian Bar? I believe it opens at 11:00.
    Seems like a good place to meet up, then. Unless anyone has a better idea?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post

The Salopian seems like a good place to meet up, then. Unless anyone has a better idea?
    Only 6 minutes from the station (OSM and Google agree ) and only 1 minute from the Shrewsbury Hotel for the breakfast eaters.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Only 6 minutes from the station.
    That'll be about 20 for me!!
    For those who don't want to walk to the Woodman/Royal Oak and/or the Dolphin, the bus station is next door to the Premier Inn and these are between the rail station and the Salopian Bar. It would make sense for those wanting to include any of these to visit them after the Salopian and then return and travel away from the river into the main town. Anyone staying in the town who wants to go to the JDWs would do well to get them out of the way early doors.
    My plans at the moment are to go to Newtown on Wednesday, Ludliow Tap Thursday, probably returning to see what's on in the JDWs then the Salopian. I haven't planned anything for the Saturday but am booked on the direct train back which I think leaves around 15:40.

I can't make this trip but have noticed there is planned industrial action on CrossCountry Trains for 17th to 19th Oct, may be a pain for some.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanH View Post
    Only 6 minutes from the station (OSM and Google agree ) and only 1 minute from the Shrewsbury Hotel for the breakfast eaters.
    That sounds like a traditional PuG crawl starting venue.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I can't make this trip but have noticed there is planned industrial action on CrossCountry Trains for 17th to 19th Oct, may be a pain for some.
    I hadn't seen that, it wouldn't affect travel from London apart from possibly congested trains in the West Midlands. I think it would make journeys via Reading virtually impossible and from Manchester awkward. I'm not sure about Yorkshire or the North East. I think that relies on a Cross Country service via Burton & Tamworth. .

There's a train from Manchester Piccadilly direct to Shrewsbury run by Transport for Wales.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    There's a train from Manchester Piccadilly direct to Shrewsbury run by Transport for Wales.
    Of course! I've been on it to Crewe and had forgotten all about it. So it's Reading to the Midlands avoiding London that's the big problem. Going to Hereford or Newport and getting the Transport for Wales train is probably worse than going to London.

For some reason the Dolphin is not in the latest GBG.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Perhaps Oggy can enlighten us?
    I'll do the honours as I was there on 30th August, beer quality NBSS 2, that was on a par with the Albion Vaults and joint last of the Shrewsbury pubs I visited. The Royal Oak and the Bird in Hand both got 2.5 and the Woodman a 3. The Bull wasn't brilliant but it was better than the Dolphin as was the Britannia, so I'd say Shrewsbury Camra got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I'll do the honours as I was there on 30th August, beer quality NBSS 2, that was on a par with the Albion Vaults and joint last of the Shrewsbury pubs I visited. The Royal Oak and the Bird in Hand both got 2.5 and the Woodman a 3. The Bull wasn't brilliant but it was better than the Dolphin as was the Britannia, so I'd say Shrewsbury Camra got it right.
    What's your favourite in Shrewsbury? It might surprise people to know that mine is the Salopian Bar as despite the TVs and noise they usually have something worth drinking and with the combined Happy Hour and CAMRA discount it's a reasonable price. The building itself is very dull but the staff are cheery and pleasant. It's also very close to the Premier Inn.
    I chatted to a couple from Shrewsbury at the Llanbedr beer festival who highly recommended the Prince of Wales mentioned above. More importantly we discussed why it's sometimes called "Shroesbury" rather than Shrewsbury but they didn't have an answer as they had always used the Shrewsbury pronunciation as have I. The subject of Salop & Shropshire was raised as I could recall the old Western region steam loco being the County Of Salop not the County Of Shropshire. They informed me that it was changed when it became known that Salop was a French word for an unpleasant person or even when applied to a female a slag. Maybe San & Tray from VIZ will pay us a visit on the day!!