Ads not shown when logged in
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Other than beer what should be in a pub?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    A jukebox - so you may choose whether you want to listen to music or not - this is not an essential item, but I would prefer it to television screens showing sport.
    I would have these banned from pubs. The trouble is that nobody else in the pubs gets to choose whether or not to listen to your choice of music. It's OK if you want to listen to music, and you share the musical tastes of the person who has put the money in, but it's not usually the case in my opinion. I do find it annoying when I'm trying to watch and listen to the commentary of a football match and someone puts some "music" on the jukebox.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    I would have these banned from pubs. The trouble is that nobody else in the pubs gets to choose whether or not to listen to your choice of music. It's OK if you want to listen to music, and you share the musical tastes of the person who has put the money in, but it's not usually the case in my opinion. I do find it annoying when I'm trying to watch and listen to the commentary of a football match and someone puts some "music" on the jukebox.
    They would be fine if they had 4'33" in them.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Have to admit I am a fan of the jukebox, with the proviso that there are areas you can talk in the pub. When all you can hear is the music (as you gradually go deaf) it does get on my nerves.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Have to admit I am a fan of the jukebox, with the proviso that there are areas you can talk in the pub. When all you can hear is the music (as you gradually go deaf) it does get on my nerves.
    Just mark me down as grumpy old sod in the corner , hate jukebox, hate poxy sport TV, hate pool tables, hate fruit machines [despite having once having job servicing them]

So, just beer & crisps with maybe option of a cheese roll should I feel like it

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

An anorexic 70 year old flashing her tits NO NO NO , knocked me pint back and went across the road
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Sport on TV. If 20 of your mates want a game on, the TV gets switched and it's good when the remote control is handed to you to control volume etc. Best of all, multiple satellite receptions including dodgy feeds to get as much sport in the better.

Not just beer, but some decent strength beer (not just stout or "old ales") - one of my big bugbears of well known real ale house in Birmingham is that they can sometimes have 16 ales on and nothing above 5%. I want to get a bit merry without having to make numerous visits to the bog. Some offers on spirits for when you get a bit gassed up or drowned from all the liquid.

Busy enough to have atmosphere, but not too busy that there are no seats left.

A large area outdoors to take your pint on a sunny day, a bit of concrete is fine.

Some fruit machines, in good visibility of most of the pub, in order to shark naive punters who put a few quid in.

Some food, you just can't have a 3 hour + session in the same pub if it doesn't do food.

A nearby bookies

Pool table, with everything available (queues, white ball) without having to leave a deposit at the bar.

The nearest I've found to this is Shooters Sports Bar in Leeds, but it hardly ever has Brewdog or Thornbridge so tend to wind my way here for 3pm Saturday when there's loads of football on.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    Sport on TV. If 20 of your mates want a game on, the TV gets switched and it's good when the remote control is handed to you to control volume etc. Best of all, multiple satellite receptions including dodgy feeds to get as much sport in the better.

Some fruit machines, in good visibility of most of the pub, in order to shark naive punters who put a few quid in.

A nearby bookies

Pool table, with everything available (queues, white ball) without having to leave a deposit at the bar.

The nearest I've found to this is Shooters Sports Bar in Leeds, but it hardly ever has Brewdog or Thornbridge so tend to wind my way here for 3pm Saturday when there's loads of football on.
    I think this demonstrates why there is such a diversity of pubs, if a pub supplied the above it would not have me in the door [no offence meant Spinko], not that they would miss my meagre few quid with Spinko & his mates in there

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spinko View Post
    ...The nearest I've found to this is Shooters Sports Bar in Leeds, but it hardly ever has Brewdog or Thornbridge so tend to wind my way here for 3pm Saturday when there's loads of football on.
    Suddenly, I've got this mental image of you dashing backwards and forwards, up and down The Headrow, between Shooters and Mr Foley's.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by aleandhearty View Post
    Suddenly, I've got this mental image of you dashing backwards and forwards, up and down The Headrow, between Shooters and Mr Foley's.
    Not far off, I do like to start in Veritas with a sup and a read of their papers, nip via Victoria, then a quick one in Foleys, then William Hills on the way to Shooters sounds like a good start to Saturday! Shooters do now have Brewdog in bottles..

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Hooks at (under) the bar, for jacket, bag etc.
    Don't know why these are relatively rare, they can be so handy.