Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Facebook and WhatPub links on new pub entries

Default Facebook and WhatPub links on new pub entries

An odd request for the attention of anyone submitting a new pub:

I've noticed that if Facebook and WhatPub links are submitted before a new pub entry has gone live (i.e. before it has been approved by one of the admin volunteers, aka The Seven Dwarfs), the link can only be approved as "offical site of (pub name)", rather than self-identifying as the Facebook and WhatPub links respectively, which is what happens normally. This appears to be a glitch, because obviously the admin wonks would much prefer that these links were added by the pub submitter than not. However, while the glitch persists (and it may be that Snow White has better things to do than to fix this), it would perhaps be better if pub submitters didn't submit these links, as it causes more work rather than saving it.

Heigh-Ho!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    … it would perhaps be better if pub submitters didn't submit these links...
    Rather than not submitting these links, if you wait until the pub goes live then they should self-identify as Facebook or WhatPub in the normal way without any further action (or perhaps that only works if you happen to be a dwarf - not sure)?

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Rather than not submitting these links, if you wait until the pub goes live then they should self-identify as Facebook or WhatPub in the normal way without any further action (or perhaps that only works if you happen to be a dwarf - not sure)?
    That's the way I do it. I'm not a dwarf although I'm not very tall and it works for me, I believe that Twitter, Facebook and What Pub links can be added without validation provided they are in the correct format. Obviously self validation is a good idea.
    While on the subject of web links, I've been trying to remember to delete any JDW Facebook and Twitter links and sometimes having to re-instate the What Pub link deleted in error. I've also been trying to update the main JDW web site link when it is incorrect. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

This Space For Hire

Probably aimed at me for getting all enthusiastic over the i Paper list of new/refurbished pubs. For what it's worth I do go hunting for twatter and proper web sites and submit them to WhatPub too.

I'll desist in future if it's deemed unhelpful, though I'm bound to forget to add them later, which is probably also unhelpful.

Apologies if I've caused annoyance or extra work.

N
    Last edited by NickDavies; 21-01-2019 at 21:16.

This Space For Hire

From experience if you update an existing pubs own website with one that's defunct over starting a thread saying dead link the magic happens by the midgets... No sure if it is a help or a hindrance to them. Maybe they can confer.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    From experience if you update an existing pubs own website with one that's defunct over starting a thread saying dead link the magic happens by the midgets... No sure if it is a help or a hindrance to them. Maybe they can confer.
    Often happens by magic!

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Probably aimed at me for getting all enthusiastic over the i Paper list of new/refurbished pubs. For what it's worth I do go hunting for twatter and proper web sites and submit them to WhatPub too.

I'll desist in future if it's deemed unhelpful, though I'm bound to forget to add them later, which is probably also unhelpful.

N
    Keeping adding them would be my vote - I just sort out any automatic misdirections which I come across.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    It's certainly not annoying, just a little frustrating because you're obviously trying to be helpful and it's not your fault that it involves a (small amount) of extra work to add the links in the way they're meant to be.

That's not my experience, because a couple of times I've forgotten and submitted the links pre-approval on pubs that I've added myself. Maybe it varies with what operating system and/or browser are being used?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    That's not my experience, because a couple of times I've forgotten and submitted the links pre-approval on pubs that I've added myself. Maybe it varies with what operating system and/or browser are being used?
    Talking slightly at cross-purposes possibly? The same happens to me if adding links pre-approval (first reported to Snow White many moons ago) - what I was suggesting was just waiting to add the link(s) until after approval which should then work automatically for Camra What?ub and Facebook?

Talking slightly at cross-purposes possibly?
    Yes, obviously! I misunderstood what you had written, which was essentially what I had said at the start of this thread...
    Come On You Hatters!