Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Photo supression dev request from dwarf

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I quite like the idea of having the option of two pictures on the front page, one showing the pub, and another (if available) showing the sign.
    Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    We actually don't capture name changes very well and the old name is often referred to in the reviews anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Do you have evidence to support this statement? You'll not make yourself very popular with ROBCamra and the rest of the dwarfs! For an organisation that is keeping tabs on 50,000 pubs the length and breadth of the country using only a handful of unpaid volunteers, I think we're doing pretty well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    I can't speak for other regions, but given access to the London Drinker I think that - Rex? - and myself do a very good job of keeping tabs on name changes, many of which are submitted to What?ub/London Drinker by me, made all the easier given my epic daily hikes around the boroughs of Westminster, Camden, Islington and Hackney.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulOfHorsham View Post
    The problem with not capturing name changes very well as I see it, is that there is nothing in the history to show when the change was logged, nor what the previous name might have been. If a way could be found to add these updates to the history, it might clarify why the photo doesn't tally with the name.
    We process a lot of name changes (almost 22,000 of them since 2014 - thank you dwarfs ). Totally accept the 'not capturing them very well' sentiment as they don't show up in the pub page history.

However the good news is that I have been capturing the name changes.

Those changes just weren't displayed anywhere, not least because probably around half of them are correcting typos or adding/removing 'the', 'inn' etc. I've just done some quick filtering of really obvious small corrections and added a 'name history' section to pages where names have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    We process a lot of name changes (almost 22,000 of them since 2014 - thank you dwarfs ). Totally accept the 'not capturing them very well' sentiment as they don't show up in the pub page history.

However the good news is that I have been capturing the name changes.

Those changes just weren't displayed anywhere, not least because probably around half of them are correcting typos or adding/removing 'the', 'inn' etc. I've just done some quick filtering of really obvious small corrections and added a 'name history' section to pages where names have changed.
    back to you!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

We process a lot of name changes (almost 22,000 of them since 2014 - thank you dwarfs ).
    And those of normal stature who highlight the need for changes...

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Nice work, Dave. Amazing what's lurking in the archives!
    Keeping breweries in business for more than 40() years

And those of normal stature who highlight the need for changes...
    I try to highlight as many name changes as I can. I also add a short review about the name change which helps to retain the original name and the date it was changed.

I am of normal stature - I have no power

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I try to highlight as many name changes as I can. I also add a short review about the name change which helps to retain the original name and the date it was changed.

I am of normal stature - I have no power
    I would do this but it would distort my stats - I like to know just how many pubs I've actually visited. It takes me around three hours every quarter to go through my London Drinker to make or request necessary changes and I think Rex may do the same. For obvious reasons, I've not had access to the LD for quite a while.

Ordinarily the meek are exhorted to rise up, but in this case it may be better for them to kneel down.

I would do this but it would distort my stats - I like to know just how many pubs I've actually visited. It takes me around three hours every quarter to go through my London Drinker to make or request necessary changes and I think Rex may do the same. For obvious reasons, I've not had access to the LD for quite a while.

Ordinarily the meek are exhorted to rise up, but in this case it may be better for them to kneel down.
    The dwarfs know all those wonderful people whose contributions make this the best pub review site in Christendom, even when we log in and see 50 or 60 photos to approve, we really appreciate the work done by everyone. I will even say thanks to our partially sighted photographer who perhaps relies on his guide dog to take the photos- thanks guys keep keeping us busy, I’m sure all the dwarves will agree.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    The dwarfs know all those wonderful people whose contributions make this the best pub review site in Christendom, even when we log in and see 50 or 60 photos to approve, we really appreciate the work done by everyone. I will even say thanks to our partially sighted photographer who perhaps relies on his guide dog to take the photos- thanks guys keep keeping us busy, I’m sure all the dwarves will agree.
    Hear, hear!

I'll stay on me own

I've just done some quick filtering of really obvious small corrections and added a 'name history' section to pages where names have changed.
    Excellent Dave, I really like this. Sometimes you can see name changes from the reviews that have been written as that is retained, but of course that needs a review to be submitted under that particular name and doesn't give the date when it changed. This is very useful.

However, one query - Flight Club only shows one name change in the history, and yet it must have been known as BSB on this site as there is a review under that name? A similar thing with Four Wise Monkeys, there is no mention of the Bar@30 name.
    Last edited by Blackthorn; 19-08-2021 at 21:26.