Ads not shown when logged in
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo supression dev request from dwarf

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    If you read Dave's post #14 you'll see that he's thinking of a hybrid version, with the dwarfs still manually filtering out those pictures that are not thought suitable for front page display, while using an algorithm to give more screen time to newer photos and less (tapering to none) for older ones. Tagging the photos with reasons for suppressing them could make it easier for other dwarfs to understand the decisions that have been made and not over-correct them.
    Are we going to suppress photos if the the pub's name changes?

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    That's what we're doing now. Why would it change?
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Unless there's a new photo in the current guise, I'm inclined to leave the newest 'old one' - better something than nothing, the general fabric of the building rarely changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Unless there's a new photo in the current guise, I'm inclined to leave the newest 'old one' - better something than nothing, the general fabric of the building rarely changes.
    Thats exactly how it should work.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    That's exactly how it does work now. I'm not sure this discussion is going anywhere, or is even necessary.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Quinno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    That's exactly how it does work now. I'm not sure this discussion is going anywhere, or is even necessary.
    Well, perhaps the discussion is necessary because there's room for debate about when is the correct time to suppress photos of the pub with its old name showing!

If all old photos are suppressed, the blank photo frame appears on the pub's front page, with the message underneath No current image posted for this pub: view older pictures (5 images) . (The link is to a pub in Wirksworth that has changed hands and acquired the name of a former micropub in the same town that has closed.)

I can see the argument for what Quinno, Mobyduck and ROBCamra are saying: the fabric of the building is (likely) unchanged, so why not leave the photo showing.

The argument the other way is two-fold: the new owners have decided to call the pub something different, but we seem to be ignoring that and retaining the old name, which might look like an oversight. Also, the absence of a photo might act as a prompt to one of our photographers and the gap will soon be filled. (Dave: Would it be possible for the photoless pubs map to pick up examples of this - the blank photo frame also appears on the area page, so there must be a tag that can be picked up.)

Also in Wirksworth is one of the four Greene King pubs that the company decided to rename because there was a perception that the name was offensive. Two were in Suffolk and have had their names changed (by us and by Camra/WhatPub); the fourth is near Reading, and Quinno has (with the benefit of local knowledge) half-changed the name and retained the old photos, as the name change is not going to be effected until next month.

If I am actioning a name change I tend to look at the photos of the pub with its old name to see whether the name is glaringly obvious. If it's not I will leave the photo showing on the main page. Otherwise I will suppress all photos so that the photo frame is blank. I'm not saying everyone else is wrong and I'm right - I'm saying there is the need for a discussion about this.
    Come On You Hatters!

If I rename a pub or reopen a closed one with a new name I always leave the "best" or most recent photo unsuppressed.

If an updated photo is then added I'll accept the new one and suppress the remaining "old" one.

I also check the old websites etc for validity and delete the invalid ones.

I then add any new ones I can find along with a Whatpub link if available.

I also update the Pub Details with any new info.

It's not just about the photos!

I do a lot of these!!!

I just did Olivia's Townhouse

Any way to delete that spurious Barracuda link Dave?
    Last edited by ROBCamra; 16-08-2021 at 15:58.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    I do a lot of these!!!
    I appreciate that you do a lot of these, but other dwarfs do them too. To my knowledge there has never been a discussion like the one we are now having, so I don't know (or didn't until recently) what you and the other dwarfs are doing in these circumstances.

As I said above, I can see the arguments on both sides, so I am not saying that you are wrong. But if Dave can get the photoless pubs map to pick up pubs that have had *all* their photos suppressed, I think that would be a good argument against what you describe as current practice, as it would signal to users that a new photo is required.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Speaking personally, I would prefer Rob's way, that the most recent photo is retained even if the name has changed. I think the photo is important and (almost) any photo is better than none, even if you could follow the link to find old ones - casual users will not bother. We actually don't capture name changes very well and the old name is often referred to in the reviews anyway.
    On leaving the bar, I felt a strong blow to the back of my head. Turning round, I discovered it was the pavement

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Speaking personally, I would prefer Rob's way, that the most recent photo is retained even if the name has changed. I think the photo is important and (almost) any photo is better than none.
    Earlier in this thread, Quinno said that displaying photos that are more than three or four years old makes the site look as though it is not kept up to date. Then he and ROBCamra agreed that they prefer to have a photo of a pub's old name after the page has been changed to the new name. Now you are saying "any photo is better than none".

I tend to agree with Quinno's first position - I just didn't think that expecting dwarfs to consistently achieve it by suppressing older photos was a reasonable approach. Dave's suggestion of getting the picture selection algorithm to do it seems like a good idea. But I also think that having a prominently displayed photo of a pub with a different name from what it says at the top of the page is not a good look - it makes us look slapdash.

And "any photo is better than none" - including one taken from 100 yards away through a rain-spattered top window of a bus?

... (almost) any photo is better than none, even if you could follow the link to find old ones - casual users will not bother.
    How do you know how casual users of the site will behave?

One of the reasons I was attracted to this site more then 10 years ago was the way the main page of each pub is so easy to navigate, with clickable buttons to take the user to older reviews and to the page of extra photos, and the way it is immediately apparent that new reviews and new photos are welcome. This is especially so when there are no reviews and/or no photos available. This is why I would prefer all photos to be suppressed after a name change - it encourages users to go out and take one!

We actually don't capture name changes very well.
    Do you have evidence to support this statement? You'll not make yourself very popular with ROBCamra and the rest of the dwarfs! For an organisation that is keeping tabs on 50,000 pubs the length and breadth of the country using only a handful of unpaid volunteers, I think we're doing pretty well.

... and the old name is often referred to in the reviews anyway.
    All the more reason not to have a photo of the pub with its former name showing. It makes it look like the new name is a mistake!
    Come On You Hatters!