Page 71 of 237 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Yet another list

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Sair Inn at Linthwaite.
    Thanks. Added to my "to do" list.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Well, it's more their personal preferences than saying any one pub is "better" than any other. The fact that they refer to managers and staff by their names suggests that they go to Sheffield pubs more often than I do (too busy clocking up the miles for Pubs Galore).

They're clearly into pale and hoppy beers - I once stopped going in the Shakespeares because there was almost nothing that I fancied. I was there the other week to meet two or three mates who had started before me, so I decided to catch up by having a half of Lost Industry Streets in the Sky TIPA (which I imagine stands for Triple IPA, since its strength was 11.1%). Well, I soon caught up. But the beer was disgusting - like tangerine juice with vodka.

The Broadfield, Sheaf View and White Lion are not my part of town - they mention on their blog that they mostly drink in southwest Sheffield. Of these, the Sheaf View is one that I visit from time to time while regretting the fact that it's a long way from home. The Beer Engine is on the way into town from there, but again I find that too many of the beers taste of grapefruit or lemon juice for my taste. The Dev Cat has improved, though some people don't approve of the new layout. Sometimes I go in for a half and end up having three or four, other times I look around the beer offering and walk straight out.

The Wellington has too many Neepsend beers - well, it is the brewery tap. Again, too many New World hops for me, and there's nothing in their range between pale & hoppy and dark & chocolaty, unless you count red ales with American hops. No best bitters, and when I mentioned this to one of the barmen he scoffed at the idea of beer tasting of twigs. That was me told.

I haven't been to the Old Workshop yet - it's keg only. The Beer House is Sheffield's first micropub and I find it variable. Comfy it is not.

The "Birkett portfolio" in their blog refers to the Sheaf View, the Blake and the Wellington, owned by Canadian James Birkett, who now also owns Neepsend Brewery. My favourite of his three is the Blake Hotel, which is on my side of town.

Their three to watch (Guzzle, Ecclesall Ale Club and Public) are two newish micropubs and a (keg only) cocktail bar under the town hall that only opened last month.

OK, I suppose you want me to name my favourites. So here goes, the official list of the best pubs in Sheffield:

Kelham Island Tavern
    Fat Cat
    Gardeners Rest
    Blake Hotel
    Lescar
    Ecclesall Ale Club
    Dog & Partridge
    Sheaf View
    Itchy Pig
    Closed Shop

This is based on an estimate of the number of visits I have made in the past year, but including only those pubs that I have never walked out of (because there was nothing on that I wanted to drink at the time).

Some pubs that I would go to more often if they weren't so far away:

Rising Sun
    Guzzle
    Ale House
    Horse & Jockey

And one that I didn't go to at all in 2017 but which could be one for this year:

Albion
    I went for a weekend to Sheffield for my 60th birthday with 3 others and did about 20 pubs but more for the beer rather than the pubs.Great weekend.We found the locals to be so friendly and made the weekend.
    Top pubs to me were
    Sheffield Tap
    Wellington (little ale cart beers then)
    Sheaf View
    Fat Cat
    Shakespear
    Harlequin
    and loved these last two
    Gardeners Rest (beer garden on a sunny day)
    and my favourite
    Rutland (great beers and atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Three for me Shakespeares and the double one Devonshire Cat & Rutland. I suspect the others are in outer Sheffield but I'm sure we will find out.
    It's four! I went to the Wellington when it had the Little Cart beers and wrote that it was my favourite (which it probably was!). I rate Neepsend beers highly from what I've tried so it's a priority for a return visit.

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Just the two for me, 2 and 11.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

None for me.
    "At that moment I would have given a kingdom, not for champagne or hock and soda, or hot coffee but for a glass of beer" Marquess Curzon of Kedlestone, Viceroy of India.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Three for me,numbers 2,7 and 11.

Thanks for posting the link,I've put a few on them on my "to do" list.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

7 for me.
    3-8, 11, I didn't know the Effra was Antic, never made it inside, was closed on my only attempt.

This Space For Hire

8 Antic pubs for me.Unaware that the Old Red Lion was one of theirs.

Crikey, I've been in No2.