Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Not tried any of these beers so just guessing,
    A - Bad Co
    b- Northern Monk
    c- Kirkstall
    Spot on!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 16-06-2020 at 23:52.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire Real Ale Ray's Avatar

On Northern Monk Eternal Session IPA, I really like this beer. Also have Kirkstall Virtuous IPA...

Listening to Depeche Mode, a good combination
    Last edited by Real Ale Ray; 16-06-2020 at 21:03.
    'I only drink on two occasions, when I'm thirsty and when I'm not'
    Brendan Behan

Spritzer Swallower

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Spot on!
    Remember we where talking about conspiricy theories in the other thread. Well check out the can of beer on the right in the first photo you linked! because if you know your symbols then that can is ridiculed with illuminati

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by flatcap View Post
    Remember we where talking about conspiricy theories in the other thread. Well check out the can of beer on the right in the first photo you linked! because if you know your symbols then that can is ridiculed with illuminati
    We as a group tried to help you with advice on buying a pub although we have little or no knowledge on the subject. Please go away.

Default Another beer tasting event at the Sheffield Hatter's Inn tonight

My second tasting session of the week, with three cans as before:

Magic Rock Clairvoyance 7.2%
    Northern Monk Newer World 7.6%
    Rooster's Baby Faced Assassin 6.1%

The two higher abv beers were in 440ml cans, with the lower alcohol Rooster's in a 330ml "kiddy kan".

One of the beers was noticeably darker when I was pouring, which again makes it hard for me to "forget" which one was which (but I'll try not to drop any hints so that you can try to guess the identities). All the beers poured with big frothy heads, though beer B's head subsided quicker. The two paler, more hazy beers gave out great wafts of tropical fruit aroma while I was pouring, and yes I was maintaining an appropriate distance while doing so.

So, beer A is pale and hazy, with a flavour reminiscent of pith and suggesting grapefruit to match its colour. It is lightly carbonated, with a pleasant mouth feel and a fairly dry finish.

Beer B is the slightly darker one, and is almost clear, and in fact the apparent darkness is due to background colours being more noticeable - if held up to the light there is almost nothing in it. Almost no aroma (at least, by comparison with beer A), but the taste is of very astringent seville oranges. The mouth feel is rather thin. The flavour is still present at the finish, even after swallowing.

Beer C is the other pale one, though not as hazy as A, but cloudier than B. Tropical fruit on the nose, but the taste is much sweeter than the other two, with a suggestion of coconut. A very smooth mouth feel, but a rather sweet finish.

I quite liked beer A, although I have to suppress my antipathy to grapefruit when assessing it. The pleasant mouth feel and bitter finish suit me, but I can't see myself singling this out again in the supermarket. B has the taste of oranges which I prefer to grapefruit, but it's very in-your-face. A subtler version of this (like Fullers 1845) would be more to my taste - or some maltiness to balance the bitterness. C is too easy drinking, too eager to please, too goddam sweet. For anyone old enough to remember Juke Box Jury, this one would get that strange motor-horn sound for MISS. (Just like Tell Laura I Love Her did back in 1960, before spending three weeks at No.1 in the charts.)

Can you say what they are yet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

My second tasting session of the week, with three cans as before:

Magic Rock Clairvoyance 7.2%
    Northern Monk Newer World 7.6%
    Rooster's Baby Faced Assassin 6.1%

The two higher abv beers were in 440ml cans, with the lower alcohol Rooster's in a 330ml "kiddy kan".

One of the beers was noticeably darker when I was pouring, which again makes it hard for me to "forget" which one was which (but I'll try not to drop any hints so that you can try to guess the identities). All the beers poured with big frothy heads, though beer B's head subsided quicker. The two paler, more hazy beers gave out great wafts of tropical fruit aroma while I was pouring, and yes I was maintaining an appropriate distance while doing so.

So, beer A is pale and hazy, with a flavour reminiscent of pith and suggesting grapefruit to match its colour. It is lightly carbonated, with a pleasant mouth feel and a fairly dry finish.

Beer B is the slightly darker one, and is almost clear, and in fact the apparent darkness is due to background colours being more noticeable - if held up to the light there is almost nothing in it. Almost no aroma (at least, by comparison with beer A), but the taste is of very astringent seville oranges. The mouth feel is rather thin. The flavour is still present at the finish, even after swallowing.

Beer C is the other pale one, though not as hazy as A, but cloudier than B. Tropical fruit on the nose, but the taste is much sweeter than the other two, with a suggestion of coconut. A very smooth mouth feel, but a rather sweet finish.

I quite liked beer A, although I have to suppress my antipathy to grapefruit when assessing it. The pleasant mouth feel and bitter finish suit me, but I can't see myself singling this out again in the supermarket. B has the taste of oranges which I prefer to grapefruit, but it's very in-your-face. A subtler version of this (like Fullers 1845) would be more to my taste - or some maltiness to balance the bitterness. C is too easy drinking, too eager to please, too goddam sweet. For anyone old enough to remember Juke Box Jury, this one would get that strange motor-horn sound for MISS. (Just like Tell Laura I Love Her did back in 1960, before spending three weeks at No.1 in the charts.)

Can you say what they are yet?
    Not sure if I've had the Clairvoyance before without checking back, Newer world fairly recently in a tin and Baby Faced Assassin some time ago on cask. So another stab in the dark, aided by your tasting notes, while bearing in mind, as peoples differ, so I believe, does what they actually taste ,or perception of what they are tasting, if any of that makes sense?

Anyway...

A- Clairvoyance
    B- Baby Faced Assassin
    C- Newer World
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    ... advice on buying a pub although we have little or no knowledge on the subject.
    Speak for yourself, John!
    Come On You Hatters!

Speak for yourself, John!
    He did.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    He did.
    That must have been a royal "we" that he used, then!
    Come On You Hatters!

Quote Originally Posted by flatcap View Post
    ... that can is ridiculed with illuminati
    Interesting use of ridiculed. It got me reaching for the dictionary:

ridicule: derision, mockery; to make fun of
    ridicule (2nd meaning): same as reticule (now dialect, but also seen in Jane Austen), meaning a small handbag made of netting
    reticule: alternative spelling of reticle
    reticle: network of reference lines attached to an optical instrument
    reticular: netted or netlike
    riddle: a large coarse seive; to make full of holes (like a riddle)
    riddled: shot full of holes (like a riddle)
    illuminati: the enlightened; a name given to various religious sects; people who claim to have special enlightenment
    conspiracy theorists: people who claim to have special enlightenment
    ridiculed with illuminati: shot full of holes like a network of enlightened conspiracy theorists
    Come On You Hatters!