Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Yet another beer is watered down.

Default Yet another beer is watered down.

I spent a few days in North Wales this week giving me a chance to visit a Robinson's tied house. On returning I checked the Robinson's web site to confirm that their Double Hop is 5% ABV, and was surprised to find it was only 4.8%. I then checked the 2013 GBG where it was 5% meaning that it has definitely been watered down.

I tried Googling the beer to see if there had been any announcements or exposure of this and found nothing.

This is such a shame as Robinson's has always been my favourite of the four Manchester regional independents and they seem finally to be taking their seasonal beers seriously as their Hoptimus is a very strong contender for BOTW. Ones I've tried before (Young Tom sticks in my mind) have been insipid boring affairs, making good contenders for BABOTW.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I spent a few days in North Wales this week giving me a chance to visit a Robinson's tied house. On returning I checked the Robinson's web site to confirm that their Double Hop is 5% ABV, and was surprised to find it was only 4.8%. I then checked the 2013 GBG where it was 5% meaning that it has definitely been watered down.

Some time last year

March 2012

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120...p/category/22/

August 2012

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20120...p/category/22/

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post

So it looks like it was reduced after last year's budget. I drank it in North Wales last October and near where I live in December. I don't tend to look closely at pump clips for beers that I know, but I will make a point of checking the regional brewer's beers from now on as they all seem to be watering down the beer.
    At least there is some honour among thieves as when my local brewer recently brought back the Jamaican Stout it had risen in ABV from 5.0% to 5.3%.

Another thing that annoyed me about Robinson's was that they are trying to wear the "Craft" beer tag. I've been drinking Robbies for some 40 years now so how it has magically transformed into "Craft" beer is beyond me!!

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    Another thing that annoyed me about Robinson's was that they are trying to wear the "Craft" beer tag. I've been drinking Robbies for some 40 years now so how it has magically transformed into "Craft" beer is beyond me!!
    Oh, they're all at it. The one that really sticks in my craw is the Greedy King IPA pump clip where it's pronounced to be 'hand crafted India Pale Ale'. What on earth does that mean?

http://www.greeneking.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=112
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

Its means someone in a white coat pushed a button somewhere to start the machinery to brew the beer

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    Its means someone in a white coat pushed a button somewhere to start the machinery to brew the beer
    No if it's "crafted" he took off his white coat. He may have put on a silly hat though and he probably had a beard.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    No if it's "crafted" he took off his white coat. He may have put on a silly hat though and he probably had a beard.
    ....and possibly a pair of brightly coloured cord trousers. Strawberry red seem very vogue-ish.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.