Ads not shown when logged in

Thread: Open Street Map

Default Open Street Map

I see Dave has switched the pub page mapping to Open Street Map, presumably due to Google Map licencing issues?

It will be interesting to see how this works out, because my past experience with Open Street map is that the quality in terms of accuracy and detail is quite variable.

On the other hand, we now get a zoomable map and the distance to a number (up to 3?) of railway stations within a certain (10 mile?) radius.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    On the other hand, we now get a zoomable map and the distance to a number (up to 3?) of railway stations within a certain (10 mile?) radius.
    ...and if you click on the "show" link, it creates a walking route on the map!

(And the limit to how far you can walk to the pub from a station seems to be more than 10 miles. I've found >16 miles here, but no railway station identified here.).
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 29-09-2018 at 09:55.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Hoping it's kept all the map points as they were. Eg corrected ones still in their correct locations. Looking at Midsomer Norton where I am now they look good.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    Hoping it's kept all the map points as they were. Eg corrected ones still in their correct locations. Looking at Midsomer Norton where I am now they look good.
    If you go to the interactive map you still get the Google version and can thus correct locations with the satellite imagery (so I hope that feature stays).

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've found >16 miles here, but no railway station identified here.).
    The limit was set at about 5 and half hours walking time. I've upped it to 8 hours just to see what happens on a few examples.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    No map points were harmed during this update.

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    If you go to the interactive map you still get the Google version and can thus correct locations with the satellite imagery (so I hope that feature stays).
    In terms of correcting locations I've no plans to remove the Google version, not least because the satellite imagery is vital for the way we correct map points on the site.

For the interactive map I'll probably look at creating an OpenStreetMap version of it but keep the Google version in place and allow users to choose which they prefer.

On the whole I prefer using OpenStreetMaps for getting about on foot, but there are still some patchy areas in terms of coverage. The routing engine I'm using for the directions is far from perfect but much better than when I first started experimenting with this stuff a couple of years ago.

Sometimes it all works really well, such as the route to the station here The William Withering (JD Wetherspoon) other times it goes very badly wrong, such as the 16 minute walk to the station here Grand Hotel (I can improve that one by updating the location of the station to the entrance rather than a platform)

This Space For Hire

I was only looking at the correct map point screen so obviously if on Google will be correct. Open street view may show points out but as said if try to correct will show true.

Any way to realign between the formats?

Recently came across an interesting walking route to this pub from the station at Askam in Furness.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/Jmal...bsgalore.co.uk Don't try this route if the tide is in! Or, perhaps more dangerously, likely to be in before long...

(If the screen shot has expired, just click on the "show" link next to Askam station below the map on the pub summary page.)
    Come On You Hatters!

Recently came across an interesting walking route to this pub from the station at Askam in Furness.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/Jmal...bsgalore.co.uk Don't try this route if the tide is in! Or, perhaps more dangerously, likely to be in before long...

(If the screen shot has expired, just click on the "show" link next to Askam station below the map on the pub summary page.)
    I think I would rather pay £2.50 for the 17 minute train ride!

It's not the only one in the area, requiring some wise words from the Ordnance Survey on its maps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duddon Sands.png 
Views:	150 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	1744