Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless card only pubs

Quote Originally Posted by Komakino View Post
    Here's a new one to me in the recent cash vs card developments.

I'm currently in The Merchant - a Fuller's pub in London's Docklands. I ordered a pint of Mallinson's Amarillo and one of my eyebrows did its best Roger Moore impersonation when I was asked for £6 for the privilege. Whilst rooting around for the money, the barmaid, who was oblivious to my fumblings (story of my life...) held out the card machine only to be taken aback when I proferred cash (a five-pound note and a £2 coin). An awkward 15-20 seconds of her tapping on the EPOS machine ensued after which she said "five pounds" and gave me back the coin. When I asked why I got the "refund" she told me it was cheaper as I'd paid by cash! I couldn't see any 'minimum card' transaction signs anywhere.

The Amarillo was in fine form, but then again, I'd expect that for £5...
    Beggars belief.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

I'm currently in The Merchant - a Fuller's pub in London's Docklands. I ordered a pint of Mallinson's Amarillo and one of my eyebrows did its best Roger Moore impersonation when I was asked for £6 for the privilege. Whilst rooting around for the money, the barmaid, who was oblivious to my fumblings (story of my life...) held out the card machine only to be taken aback when I proferred cash (a five-pound note and a £2 coin). An awkward 15-20 seconds of her tapping on the EPOS machine ensued after which she said "five pounds" and gave me back the coin. When I asked why I got the "refund" she told me it was cheaper as I'd paid by cash! I couldn't see any 'minimum card' transaction signs anywhere.

I'd get onto Fullers if I were you - seems rather dodgy. I wonder if they are running through gratis tips on the card on the assumption that nobody will notice.

Being a lifelong cynic I would suggest this is why certain places are so keen on card only transactions. If like many places they are also giving out short measures then they're really raking it in.

This Space For Hire aleandhearty's Avatar

It would appear the concept has reached Leeds. Just read an online review (Yorkshire Evening Post) for North Brewing Co Tap Leeds and they are card only.
    'And where he supped the past lived still. And where he sipped the glass brimmed full' John Barleycorn, Carol Ann Duffy.

This Space For Hire

The bar where your cash is worthless

"Somewhere in the region of 10-13% of the total revenue would be cash and the rest was card"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46507529

Looks like this one

This Space For Hire

I was watching an old FBI files last night and thought who robs banks these days which is not quite as similar as pubs but it's clearly got to be a crime on the decline as volumes of cash reduce.... Unlikely cash will be removed as it's got to be needed by those that refuse to change and as a backup. Can you buy a 5p sweet on a card and make it cost effective to the shop keeper and I'm upping the value from a 1p sweet.

What I find annoying is when they say there is a minimum card spend, which is more than the price of a pint, yet they won't let you run a tab and pay for it all together.
    'Beer is for all day, not just for breakfast'.

Quote Originally Posted by bcfczuluarmy View Post
    I was watching an old FBI files last night and thought who robs banks these days which is not quite as similar as pubs but it's clearly got to be a crime on the decline as volumes of cash reduce.... Unlikely cash will be removed as it's got to be needed by those that refuse to change and as a backup. Can you buy a 5p sweet on a card and make it cost effective to the shop keeper and I'm upping the value from a 1p sweet.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46468279
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Beat me to it, part of the night time economy round here, nick jcb / land rover etc, drive to quite village & smash shop front in & nick ATM
    I drink to make others more interesting

This Space For Hire

Yes sorry, fully aware of ATM as the new cash crime over shooterz and stockings, but you'll be surprised how many attempts fail and only about 700 goes last year iirc from BBC documentary. Gun in face generally saw you coming out with cash. Just a shame no pubs to spend it in now...