Ads not shown when logged in
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Worst Day Of The Year For Pub Regulars

My trouble is I like a pub crawl. I am not really one for sitting in the same pub all night. I like to move around and end up at a local. I would need a bank loan to buy a ticket for each pub. As a result I stay in on NYE and order a big Chinese meal. I am normally asleep before 12, only to get woken up by all the bloody fireworks - another "tradition" which has crept in since the Millenium - another pet hate of mine

I am a salmon !!

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    I am normally asleep before 12, only to get woken up by all the bloody fireworks - another "tradition" which has crept in since the Millenium - another pet hate of mine
    Don't mention the bloody millenium, I live about 8 miles or so north of Portsmouth, the poxy fireworks that went up from the Solent display off Southsea that evening woke me up with the bangs and flashes despite Portsdown hill being in between, thought it was an invasion by the Frenchies

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Well, I've come to this thread late, and a good many others no doubt, but I fancy joining the 'bah-humbug' debate. I'm as misery-gutted as the next bloke, no way I'll be about Christmas or New Year'e evening. But I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy my, booked and paid for' Christmas lunch at the Drover's Inn, Gussage All Saints in Dorset.
    I'm spending Christmas Day just down the road from you at the Stocks Inn, Furzehill.

I'm surprised you didn't give this place a try though, given their latest promotion!!

http://www.thisisdorset.co.uk/news/P...l/article.html

I'll stay on me own

I am a bit late answering this question but heres what i do on these days.

The last time i went in a pub on christmas eve was 1987.

The last time i went in a pub on new years eve was 1987.

On mothers day i go into a pub that does'nt serve food.

The irish saints day is a complete nighmare where ever i go, and my daughter even came in from the pub with a stupid guinness hat on which i threatened to set fire to i did'nt do it though.

And as for football in pubs my wife and i had a big row with a so called arsenal fan in Fellows,Morton & Clayton in Nottingham.
    Where do all these glory hunters come from,when we were going to watch Forest in the early 80s there was only 15000 to watch them play Man Utd and as for Chelsea they were getting smaller gates than that those days.

Well thats my rant for today i dont like any of those days to visit a pub but do like visiting pubs on any other day.

Official PG MILD tester Soup Dragon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post

The last time i went in a pub on christmas eve was 1987.

The last time i went in a pub on new years eve was 1987.
    Same session, mate?
    MILD:

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I'm spending Christmas Day just down the road from you at the Stocks Inn, Furzehill.
    Cor, how often d'ja get down this way, and, more important, when d'ja get here, when d'ja leave. I'd love a meet up if it can be arranged.........
    I drink at the Stocks every so often but I'm not overstruck on the food, more menu than substance for me.
    Whenever I go to the Drovers for a meal, which I do frequently, it's a lot like goin to me grans. I know everyone, know their stories. I'm at home..........
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........

Quote Originally Posted by runningdog View Post
    Cor, how often d'ja get down this way, and, more important, when d'ja get here, when d'ja leave. I'd love a meet up if it can be arranged.........
    I'll be back from 23rd - 27th. I think a meet-up will be tricky as I've got two birthday do's to attend (one on Christmas Eve, the other on Boxing Day) alongside the usual Christmas festivities.
    I reckon we could sort out a drink some time in the New Year though - I normally travel down on the train, so it might have to be somewhere with a station nearby.

So far today is my worst day of season. I have a chronic hangover.Lunch time yesterday I walked into town to do some small shopping.We had a good fall of snow yesterday morning so first port of call was the pub for a warmer.From then on it was encountering one mate after another ( some of them twice ,its only a small town ) all wanting or having a Christmas drink. Hobson's Twisted Spire,Wye valley Bitter, HPA and Butty Bach, Thwaites Bitter, it all went down the hatch. I remember a spell of drinking lager because the pub had run out of beer due to no delivery.
    I managed the walk home OK until I reached the front of my place when I fell over in the snow. I floundered about and managed to get to bed. Never did get my shopping and I feel to rotten to go and get it today.

Never again, Never again

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by arwkrite View Post
    I managed the walk home OK until I reached the front of my place when I fell over in the snow. I floundered about ...
    Good to hear you are never too old for snow angels

Hope you are feeling better later and swiftly forget the foolish hangover promises.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    I reckon we could sort out a drink some time in the New Year though - I normally travel down on the train, so it might have to be somewhere with a station nearby.
    Sounds good to me, I feel a bit isolated down 'ere. Give us a heads up,whenever.
    Enjoy Christmas Day, old son

That, by the way, goes for the rest of you out there
    Pubs are a hobby, real ale is a passion. Oh, and like me dogs, fear no evil..........