Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Pubs Galore Meet Up - Friday 12 November - Birmingham

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Should we have a firmer plan? It appears that the Briar Rose will be the meeting place and people will start arriving from 12.00 onwards

but

How long should we stay there in order to give most people a chance to meet up with everyone else? (I only work a few hundred yards away so it's not an issue for me but it might be for those travelling from much further afield)
    Where should we go from there? (I suggest not far so that any late comers can still find us easily - Wellington or Old Joint Stock?)
    Is there a contact for the late late comers to text to find out where we will be?
    How will we know who the rest of us are? (Pubs Galore on Tour T-shirts anyone?)
    Ahh, a man after my own heart, "failure to plan is planning to fail". It appears to have evolved organically to meet in the Briar Rose, Roger B will be there early doors but others will be arriving at New St etc from 11:27 (Trainman) up to 12:34 (Paul of Horsham), so maybe we stay until 1:30 (or until we've tried all the good beers) then move on to the Welly, then out the back door to the Joint Stock then a foray to Digbeth or whatever any smaller groups may prefer? A mob of 15 odd may be a little much for, say, The Lamp? Personally I'd like to get out to the Barton Arms as well.

Would you be volunteering as "register monitor" ? Maybe some altruistic soul could do this and PM a contact number for any stragglers to us confirmed crawlers?

I've met a few PuGers and not had much trouble recognising them but I like the idea of someone's (sorry whoever) of the code phrase about Taylors Landlord or possibly you're thinking a beer related costume?

BTW wasn't HTM69 a maybe?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    I've met a few PuGers and not had much trouble recognising them but I like the idea of someone's (sorry whoever) of the code phrase about Taylors Landlord or possibly you're thinking a beer related costume?
    I'm guessing me and Dave should be recognisable.

Just look out for the pair of muppets

I'll stay on me own PaulOfHorsham's Avatar

Possibly everybody should be dressed as their PuG avatar?

[QUOTE=oldboots;23107]Would you be volunteering as "register monitor" ? Maybe some altruistic soul could do this and PM a contact number for any stragglers to us confirmed crawlers?/QUOTE]

I set out some directions from the train and coach stations in post #94. If anyone wants the reassurance of directions when they arrive, or they want to be able to get in touch with someone to find out where we are, please PM me before 9.00pm next Thursday and I'll give you my mobile number.
    Waes hael!

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It's not the money, it's the time. It's still 4+ hours each way in total using the bus AND it won't be on time on a Friday!!
    schedule says total 2hr30* outbound but, having been on the northbound M6 two wks ago, I agree the rtn timetable may be open to 'traffic' influence...
    Last edited by trainman; 04-11-2010 at 23:16. Reason: *from Rochdale!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I'll be there as soon as my 9.30 bus gets in, probably about 10.15. I can wear my bright yellow Birmingham Beer Festival staff t-shirt and find tables suitable hopefully for a gathering to get started.

Won't be on-line for the next couple of days as we will be in Dublin, unless I get free wifi on my PDA. Have to be at Birmingham International for the coach 7.30 am tomorrow, so won't be posting much longer tonight.

We're not really 'ere! trainman's Avatar

I'm editing this post completely as, reading it this morning, it sounded rather self-serving, sorry.

I'm wondering whether any of the earlier arrivals might fancy a tactical early trip to tick Barton Arms, one of the less accessible/off route on my wish-list (+ probable joker after short bus ride)? This would enable a return to the centre when most are on parade.
    Last edited by trainman; 05-11-2010 at 09:00.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Happy to start wherever, and ok for a bus trip to Bartons Arms. It would be a bit of a hike from the centre if you want to get around a few during the day. Been in the Welly today. A lot of strong ones on, and I do mean strong like Last Rites at 11%. Had a few of the normal 3.8% - 5%. Very good too.

Will catch up when we get back Sunday.

My mention of the Briar Rose was merely to grab a convenient breakfast upon arrival at 10.30'ish rather than to be a specific meeting point. I don't really intend to be there beyond an opening pint and full english and will hopefully be off to do a couple of other pubs (with whoever else is there and wishes to join me) before the bulk of PG'ers arrive. We need to sort out a specific meeting point for between say 12 and 1pm when we can gather forces properly for the days events. Trainy's proposal of the Wellington sounds fine as it sounds good enough to be a 2 pinter at least for me.

So, can we all agree on the Welly between 12 and 1? Anyone expecting to arrive after 1pm will need to make themselves known so that we can swap a few mobile numbers to keep people informed of our whereabouts.

If anyone else is around earlier they will find me at the Briar Rose from 10.30 for however long it takes them to cook brekky. I am happy to PM anyone my mobile if they want to track me down anywhere else before noon.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerB View Post
    We need to sort out a specific meeting point for between say 12 and 1pm when we can gather forces properly for the days events. Trainy's proposal of the Wellington sounds fine as it sounds good enough to be a 2 pinter at least for me.
    Agreed!