Ads not shown when logged in
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Brighton Spring 2018

Default The Four Feathers

"Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    Thanks for starting the ball rolling, OB.

I've reordered these initial suggestions to make a circuit (starting and ending with the two nearest the station) and Google maps makes it just under four miles (similar to Stockport, but this is before we add any wild cards!).

I've been to six of these (not the Admiral, the Hanover or the Mitre). You can read my reviews of the Basket Makers (my view was skewed by the depletion of available beers and the superabundance of fried fish), the Prince Albert (a suitable last port of call, I think) and the Victory. My favourite of these was the Victory. The Evening Star would be a good place to start a crawl as it's handy for the station. I liked the Beer Dispensary, not so much the Craft Beer Co.

In addition, I've reviewed the following: the Southover (quite a long way out but not as far as the Hanover), Cricketers, Foundry, Earth & Stars, Black Horse, Waggon & Horses, Mash Tun. I liked the Waggon & Horses. The Earth & Stars and the Foundry are not far from the Prince Albert, so might make suitable wild cards for those who have time and capacity before their trains.

I had a look in the King & Queen but didn't have a drink (only one real ale on, I think) and had a drink in the Prince George, but was suffering from Delhi belly at the time so have little to no recollection of the pub. The Seven Stars used to be a nice Fullers pub but is now a ghastly craft ale bar. The North Laine will float the boats of some people.

I've reviewed these in Kemptown: Saint Georges, Barley Mow, Thomas Kemp, Hand in Hand, Saint James. An idea: these might do for anyone who's planning on spending Thursday night in Brighton?

There's a bit of a gap in the above (very early draft) route between the Victory and the Hanover. This could be filled by the Waggon & Horses, the North Laine, The Geese (Have Gone Over The Water) (Nice review from Paul of Horsham) (NB opens at 4pm) and the Southover (NB opens at 3pm) without affecting the overall distance very much. (Or we could go up via the Admiral to the Hanover, then down via Southover and Geese before cutting across the Level to the Mitre.)

Similarly, it might be a good idea to go from the Dispensary to the sea front and along towards the pier, then cut inland on Black Lion Street to the Cricketers before the Victory, rather than try to find a route through the back streets and miss out the sea altogether.

So, here we go (1st draft):

1. The Evening Star
    2. The Craft Beer Co
    3. Brighton Beer Dispensary
    4. Cricketers
    5. The Victory Inn
    6. Waggon & Horses
    7. North Laine
    8. The Geese (Have Gone Over The Water)
    9. Southover
    10. The Hanover
    11. The Admiral
    12. Mitre Tavern
    13. The Basketmakers Arms
    14. Foundry
    15. Earth & Stars
    16. The Prince Albert

OK, hope this stimulates some discussion, especially from people who live near Brighton and may have been to other pubs more recently than I have been to these. (Or been to these and want to disagree with me!)

Cheers
    Great work Will,this is going to be an excellent crawl.

Thoughts for version 2.

I noticed that WhatPub is quoting Craft Beer Co. opening at 4pm.If that pub get pushed further back in the running order,I then wonder if the crawl may arrive at The Geese before their 4pm opening ? You have mentioned an alternative order for this part of the crawl namely Admiral,Hanover,Southover,Geese,Mitre which might work better.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Thoughts for version 2.

I noticed that WhatPub is quoting Craft Beer Co. opening at 4pm.If that pub get pushed further back in the running order,I then wonder if the crawl may arrive at The Geese before their 4pm opening ? You have mentioned an alternative order for this part of the crawl namely Admiral,Hanover,Southover,Geese,Mitre which might work better.
    Well spotted, BF! If that's the case, then we might have to go in the opposite direction, i.e. clockwise, starting with the Prince Albert. Which may raise doubts about opening times for some of those in the town centre. (Assuming that no one comes up with a good reason for leaving Craft Beer Co out altogether. )

This website might be of interest.
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 24-01-2018 at 18:13.
    Come On You Hatters!

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Well spotted, BF! If that's the case, then we might have to go in the opposite direction, i.e. clockwise, starting with the Prince Albert. Which may raise doubts about opening times for some of those in the town centre. (Assuming that no one comes up with a good reason for leaving Craft Beer Co out altogether. )

This website might be of interest.
    Why not slip the Craft Beer Company in after #15 Earth & Stars ,they seem quite close together ? Your original anti clockwise route looked very elegant ,a shame to disturb that idea.

The only pubs of the 16 on version 1 that are NOT open at noon are Craft Beer Co (4),Geese (4) and Southover (3).
    Last edited by Bucking Fastard; 24-01-2018 at 18:43.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    I also like the Stanley Arms, 10 mins down the line at Fishersgate, although I haven't made it last couple of trips, doesn't open until 15:00 Weds-Fri.
    Thanks for the tip. A bit far out for this crawl, I think, but I quite fancy it for the Thursday evening beforehand.
    Come On You Hatters!

Great work Will,this is going to be an excellent crawl.

Thoughts for version 2.

Just looked on The Crafts Brighton website and they give a 12.00 opening time for Fridays, probably more reliable than Whatpub.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Why not slip the Craft Beer Company in after #15 Earth & Stars ,they seem quite close together ? Your original anti clockwise route looked very elegant ,a shame to disturb that idea.
    Glad you approve of anticlockwise!

The Earth & Stars is really only an afterthought for those with the capacity for more beer and in no great hurry to catch a train. I have however spotted that the Craft Beer Co's website says they open at 12 noon on Fridays, so I've sent them an email to ask which is correct. I'll update this thread when I get a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Just looked on The Crafts Brighton website and they give a 12.00 opening time for Fridays, probably more reliable than Whatpub.
    Thanks Mick. We crossed.
    Come On You Hatters!

I noticed that WhatPub is quoting Craft Beer Co. opening at 4pm.
    Craft Beer Co's website says they open at 12 noon on Fridays, so I've sent them an email to ask which is correct. I'll update this thread when I get a reply.
    They got back to me very quickly and it appears the website is wrong. Version 2 to follow in due course.

Thanks for the suggestions so far - please keep them coming. (So many pubs - so little time.)
    Come On You Hatters!

They got back to me very quickly and it appears the website is wrong.
    Just had an email from a guy who describes himself as the GM at Craft - they're going to open at 12 on that Friday! (I didn't even have to ask. Or use the magic words "Pubs Galore".)

[Actually there was no need to mention Pubs Galore - I've just Googled my own name plus the word "pubs". Rather disturbing, actually. ]
    Last edited by sheffield hatter; 24-01-2018 at 21:54.
    Come On You Hatters!

Discussion of opening times caught my eye, I thought I'd added them to the pub pages but for some reason had only done so for mobile version!

Anyway, if the Facebook page for the pub has opening times we now have them displayed near the bottom of the pub page.