Ads not shown when logged in
Page 376 of 426 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,760 of 4259

Thread: Random news of the day

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    On the other hand, it must be a year or so since I last had to use my emergency tenner because a pub didn't take cards.
    Yes, you're far more likely to find a pub that doesn't take cash than one that doesn't take a card - but the latter do still exist (Admiral Vernon). My local chippy only takes case as well. I've had to use my emergency cash reserve fairly frequently.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rattus View Post
    Yes, you're far more likely to find a pub that doesn't take cash than one that doesn't take a card - but the latter do still exist (Admiral Vernon). My local chippy only takes case as well. I've had to use my emergency cash reserve fairly frequently.
    The Little Driver
    The Palm Tree

Must be an East End thing.

On the other hand, it must be a year or so since I last had to use my emergency tenner because a pub didn't take cards.
    I've had to use cash a few times recently. Some pubs have a lower limit for cards and one pint (or one half!) is below their limit, although plenty of other pubs are happy to accept a card for £1.70. At one recently there was a £10 lower limit, and when I asked (in a friendly rather than challenging way) I was told that the card machine operator charges 0.75% on each transaction. Now that doesn't seem a lot to me - a £20 transaction would attract a charge of 15p. My pint of Peak Bakewell Best Bitter 4.2% was £4.10 (and worth every penny, I can tell you), so the charge would have been 3p or thereabouts - is that such a deal-breaker for them that they're going to make a fuss about it to every customer like me having just a pint? I should have said "charge me £4.20 and put it on my card"!
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I've had to use cash a few times recently. Some pubs have a lower limit for cards and one pint (or one half!) is below their limit, although plenty of other pubs are happy to accept a card for £1.70. At one recently there was a £10 lower limit, and when I asked (in a friendly rather than challenging way) I was told that the card machine operator charges 0.75% on each transaction. Now that doesn't seem a lot to me - a £20 transaction would attract a charge of 15p. My pint of Peak Bakewell Best Bitter 4.2% was £4.10 (and worth every penny, I can tell you), so the charge would have been 3p or thereabouts - is that such a deal-breaker for them that they're going to make a fuss about it to every customer like me having just a pint? I should have said "charge me £4.20 and put it on my card"!
    They have to pay up to 1% to pay in cash, and it costs to obtain change too. And rural pubs have the hassle of going to the bank miles away every day or two. The cost of card transactions is hardly prohibitive.

Remember the advert, "American Express says more about you than cash ever can"? Quite. Cash says nothing about you. If you're a small business it can be useful to keep some funds away from the prying eyes of the VAT man, the brewery, the pubco, your own accountant...

This Space For Hire

A mate sent me a photo of the 16 handpumps in the craft beer co clerkenwell with only 2 beers on.he posted underneath. Sad!.

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    I remember during my first job we were looking at getting a card machine and the bank charges were something like 3% at the time for credit cards, and a fixed fee of 25p for debit cards (per transaction). Plus there was a monthly fee for the terminal usage, and potentially upfront costs too. There may still be some of the big banks that get away with high charges such as these, but shopping around you can get a few different makes of basic terminal for a low one off cost for the equipment and then 0.75% charge per transaction. With those kind of rates, a minimum spend for taking card payments doesn't make sense - if someone buys two pints at £6 (optimistic I know, but bear with me) then you are losing 4.5p in card transaction fees. If buying a half pint at £1.50 then you lose 1.125p. The percentage of the hit you take is the same, so having a minimum amount makes no sense, unless of course you are aiming to steer people away from tying the card reader up for lots of smaller transactions, or you're just trying to push customers towards a larger spend. Of course, under the old system if someone paid by debit card on a £1.50 transaction then you lose 25p of that right away - which is a much bigger dent in the profit margin and may even make the transaction unviable if the margins are slim to start with.

A regular pub of mine prefers cash and pay as you go but if paying by card they run a tab until you've finished your session then paying in one transaction, of course this offers up the chance of someone (non regular) doing a runner, I don't think this has happened yet, though a couple of locals have wandered off home forgetting to pay, they are of course reminded upon their return the next day
    day.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Just Missed the Round

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A regular pub of mine prefers cash and pay as you go but if paying by card they run a tab until you've finished your session then paying in one transaction, of course this offers up the chance of someone (non regular) doing a runner, I don't think this has happened yet, though a couple of locals have wandered off home forgetting to pay, they are of course reminded upon their return the next day
    day.
    I much prefer the pay as you go model whether paying by card or cash, as I like to know I am free to leave when I like without having to hang around and settle a tab. That was one of the downsides to compulsory table service when that was a thing under COVID rules, it really slowed down the ability to move along if you were attempting any kind of crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by RealAleRobUK View Post
    I much prefer the pay as you go model whether paying by card or cash, as I like to know I am free to leave when I like without having to hang around and settle a tab. That was one of the downsides to compulsory table service when that was a thing under COVID rules, it really slowed down the ability to move along if you were attempting any kind of crawl.
    Agree with that but in this case being a small pub and being a local, normally sat at the bar (frowned upon in some circles) I just pay up as I get my last pint/ round.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    A regular pub of mine prefers cash and pay as you go but if paying by card they run a tab until you've finished your session then paying in one transaction, of course this offers up the chance of someone (non regular) doing a runner.
    I find that in these instances, the pub puts your card behind the bar - not so easy when paying with a phone though.

Remember the advert, "American Express says more about you than cash ever can"? Quite. Cash says nothing about you. If you're a small business it can be useful to keep some funds away from the prying eyes of the VAT man, the brewery, the pubco, your own accountant...
    I remember the American Express adverts! You are also right in that many businesses want cash only so as not to attract the attentions of the VAT man, like Arthur Daley.