Ads not shown when logged in
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government inquiry into review websites

Default Government inquiry into review websites

"89% think customer comments on review sites"
    http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/G...eview-websites
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

Thanks for pointing that one out, I'd missed it which is a bit embarrassing.

So the government are looking at doing more to protect businesses from having false reviews posted about them, they have called for feedback from reviews sites. I'm currently looking to see whether it is worth me contributing since it is likely to affect us.

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

I find it very odd that firms / pubs / hotels / love and even self publicise their offering, but go crying to mum when anyone has the temerity to say, "know what? it was crap when I stayed, went in or whatever"

I review on here & Trip advisor

Both have option for owner / tenant etc to reply to reviews

Some do reply, some do not go & crying to mum about how their crap pub serving Sarsons, poor food and surly staff has been reviewed

I have had positive responses from Trip Advisor, well done hotels for fixing the faults, and as Dave will know, some pubs just whinge unless given 10/10 by their mates, and ignore & complain when a stranger walks in & gets flat pint of Sarsons, only to be told "no else has complained & it tastes OK to me"

I think businesses should at least respond, either by saying we were wrong, and sorry, or load of testicles, giving reason why this is so, they should not have right to remove a posting that does not give a glowing reference, otherwise what is the point of reviews?

odd how they love the 5 stars from Trip Advisor, but somehow think the zero is malicious and not warranted
    Last edited by Farway; 11-03-2015 at 12:46.
    I drink to make others more interesting

Then there's the issue of freedom of speech.

It's OK to slate the Government, the Establishment, TV shows, even (in this country at least) a certain prophet (peace be upon him), but point out that a pint of Doombar failed to meet expectations and you'll be deemed seditious. Satire and parody form the basis of much of our cultural heritage from times before the Conquest, but if you dare allude to the hippo-like habbits of the halytocene harridan in the Ye Olde Systemes Analysstes' Arms you'll have the Thought Police down on you like 2220lb of clay-based construction material.

Ironic that this sort of censorship is being discussed as we celebrate the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    . I'm currently looking to see whether it is worth me contributing since it is likely to affect us.
    I think you can display ample evidence that this site is well moderated and that many of its members cooperate in ensuring that inaccurate and malicious postings are quickly notified to the editorial team and removed.

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    Ironic that this sort of censorship is being discussed as we celebrate the 800th anniversary of the Magna Carta.
    So very true, wish I had spotted that, you can have 10/10

Not about PUG, but thank Heavens for Trip Advisor, based in USA, US freedom of speech constitution applies, and two fingers up to the business that do not like an honest review, which does not fit in the rose tinted specs category

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    and as Dave will know, some pubs just whinge unless given 10/10 by their mates
    The interesting thing is that I hardly ever hear from pubs who are upset about a rant or a really negative review. It is when an established reviewer writes a well thought out post that isn't entirely positive that pubs get really angry. "How dare you suggest we only have a small car park!"

Quote Originally Posted by ETA View Post
    I think you can display ample evidence that this site is well moderated and that many of its members cooperate in ensuring that inaccurate and malicious postings are quickly notified to the editorial team and removed.
    Well yes we certainly have a process that works reasonably well at the moment. I dread to think what I may be forced to implement in a few years time if they decide to crack down on review sites.

Reading up on the information they are asking for is interesting. I think what they are really trying to stop is businesses promoting themselves with fake positive reviews by pretending to be customers.

The other thing they seem worried about is rating systems, so again companies will game the Tripadvisor system with positive reviews to make them look like the best venue in a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    The interesting thing is that I hardly ever hear from pubs who are upset about a rant or a really negative review. It is when an established reviewer writes a well thought out post that isn't entirely positive that pubs get really angry. "How dare you suggest we only have a small car park!"
    Oh yes Dave, know exactly what you mean

For the uninitiated, I am the one who said a local pub had small car park and steps down to gents bog, plus crap service until barmaid had finished her fag outside, tenant whinged, Dave removed pub from the site. Pub is still open, I do not use it

Quote Originally Posted by Farway View Post
    For the uninitiated, I am the one who said a local pub had small car park and steps down to gents bog, plus crap service until barmaid had finished her fag outside, tenant whinged, Dave removed pub from the site. Pub is still open, I do not use it
    Ah yes, I think it's one I rated 2/10 after observing the relative IQs of the canine and human inmates, so I thought it was my fault until now. If I've guessed right, I now don't venture past The Anglesea or the Brew Pot, depending on time of day, when I'm in that town.