Ads not shown when logged in
Page 25 of 146 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast

Thread: Wetherspoon's news of the day

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Like others can't see the beer side working with cops just lurking on the slip road for easy collar, but 'spoons is very popular for food & coffee, plus some motorway service areas have a Travel Lodge or similar attached, so could be OK for a few evening pints if in one

It will beat some of the dire offerings currently available
    I drink to make others more interesting

I'll stay on me own

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    I'm not sure about how it will work either, but I can see their food going down well as in my experience Spoon's food is Michelin Starred compared to the appalling rubbish that I've come across at Motorway Services.

I can't see real ale other than maybe GK Ruddles being an option due to the drink and drive issue and any attempt to stock more surely wouldn't work as the sales would be too slow. Maybe Spoons have a completely different business plan for it. I thought these places were not allowed to serve alcohol.
    The majority of people travelling on motorways are not driving,there are loads of coaches with 50 odd people on them and car passengers who would enjoy a decent pint in a motorway Spoons,i would gladly drink in one after all the times i have been stuck at Woodhead services for 30 to 45 minutes drinking crap coffee while the National Express driver has his break.

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    The majority of people travelling on motorways are not driving,there are loads of coaches with 50 odd people on them and car passengers who would enjoy a decent pint in a motorway Spoons,i would gladly drink in one after all the times i have been stuck at Woodhead services for 30 to 45 minutes drinking crap coffee while the National Express driver has his break.
    Yep, had not thought of coaches, like you have been stuck whilst coach driver has his break..

'Spoons will however have to up the staffing, queues are standard at service stations, but with say only 30 minutes is any one going to wait?

Glass Half Empty

The Daily Mash has it spot on as usual http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2013060470772
    'Immanuel Kant was a real pissant who was very rarely stable' - Python

Quote Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
    The Daily Mash has it spot on as usual http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...-2013060470772
    I hope Tim Martin doesn't look at this forum as he may well take up the idea and I'll end up as an exhibit!!

Default Return of the £1.99 guest ale.

I don't know how widespread this is and as far as I can see it's not been publicised by them but the lower ABV guest ales in two local Spoons have been reduced from £2.15 to £1.99. My spy tells me that the next price review is in October, so presumably it will last until then. In the King's Ford today the Wickwar Bob, Brentwood Gold and Leeds Yorkshire Gold (4%) were all £1.99. The Orkney Dark Island and Portobello Market Porter (4.6% and 4.5%) were the usual £2.15.

Default Wetherspoon said 80 per cent of its staff, 24,000 people, are on zero-hour contracts

Two of Britain’s biggest pub chains have become the latest to admit that the vast majority of workers are on controversial zero-hour contracts

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...#ixzz2b17GMBsa

No such thing as cheap pint? Perhaps this explains how they do it?

"investigation after pub staff were allegedly “too busy” "
    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...ff-too-5712249
    "Do I know where hell is? hell is in hello"

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    "investigation after pub staff were allegedly “too busy” "
    http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/nort...ff-too-5712249
    What I find weird here is that the family member didn't make the call in the first place. If I was with someone who collapsed and I had a phone I would be making the call rather than ask a pub to do it.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    What I find weird here is that the family member didn't make the call in the first place. If I was with someone who collapsed and I had a phone I would be making the call rather than ask a pub to do it.
    Indeed it's usually difficult to stop passers-by calling an ambulance when someone you know well is felling a bit wobbly...and in any case they would rather have multiple calls to the same job rather than no call at all.