Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Craft Beer

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

The Old Fighting Cocks has now got a dedicated key keg font , its a tall silver thing that sets it apart from the Handpulls and the normal fizzy keg taps , its usually around the £3.60/80 mark for a pint but last night they had an American beer on , Flying Dog - Doggie Style 5.5% at £4.80 a pint which for round here is scandalous especially when just along the bar is the decent Ironbridge Gold at £2.50 a pint and Ironbridge Blonde at £2.30 , even the stronger guests ales including the 6/7% rarely get above £3 a pint which to me says only one thing , key keg is a rip off .
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    Had a lengthy session in Craft Beer Central AKA The Euston Tap last night and they now quite correctly label their "craft beers" as Keg on the blackboard .What struck me was the pricing ,keg beers often advertised by the half resulting in Stone IPA 6.9% being knocked out at £9 per pint. Worse still was Kernel Table Beer 2.8% at £4.40 pp.

I stuck with the cask
    The Euston tap is actually the cheapest of the London craft beer pubs.You missed a bargain last night as they had Lagunitas ipa 6.8 at only £5 a pint.The White horse American beer fest has it on next week and I would imagine it will be £9 A PINT.

Quote Originally Posted by Oggwyn Trench View Post
    The Old Fighting Cocks has now got a dedicated key keg font , its a tall silver thing that sets it apart from the Handpulls and the normal fizzy keg taps , its usually around the £3.60/80 mark for a pint but last night they had an American beer on , Flying Dog - Doggie Style 5.5% at £4.80 a pint which for round here is scandalous especially when just along the bar is the decent Ironbridge Gold at £2.50 a pint and Ironbridge Blonde at £2.30 , even the stronger guests ales including the 6/7% rarely get above £3 a pint which to me says only one thing , key keg is a rip off .
    Keykeg beer doesn't have to be a rip-off. If this is a genuine American import then carting it across the pond will whack the price up.

I could have had a pint of Brodie's Big Mofo Stout (10.5%) in Soho on Friday for £4.80 but refrained (it was 11:00).

Some of the stronger Magic Rock brews work OK on keykeg so I wonder what they would cost. I think they were £4.50 in the William IV tap takeover last year. That's not too bad if it's over 7% abv.

The fact is that a local micro that has a good relationship with the pub is always going to provide a good relatively cheap pint.

In my opinion keykeg is OK if it's strong, not gassed up and well under a fiver a pint.

This is a pic of Marstons trying to grab hold of the "craft" ticket to push sales with their rebranding of Ringwood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old thumper.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	896

Reduced the ABV as well. The general feeling around these parts is that certainly Ringwood Best is not what it used to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post
    This is a pic of Marstons trying to grab hold of the "craft" ticket to push sales with their rebranding of Ringwood.

Reduced the ABV as well. The general feeling around these parts is that certainly Ringwood Best is not what it used to be...
    That is a complete disgrace, it's still listed on their website and the latest Spoons list as 5.6%. No doubt they will claim that it is after testing public opinion (how come they never ask me? I would tell them to up it to 6.5%.).

I bet the real reason other than the duty saving is that it's a similar strength to Old Empire, well so what they are completely different beers.

I can't comment on the Best as I haven't tried it in years.

I notice that since Lees reduced Brewer's Dark and Moonraker a year or so back that Morrison's no longer stock them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
    That is a complete disgrace, it's still listed on their website and the latest Spoons list as 5.6%. No doubt they will claim that it is after testing public opinion (how come they never ask me? I would tell them to up it to 6.5%.).
    Apparently it is to make it "more accessible" and they do mention "feedback"............no it's so the bar-stewards can pocket the duty difference.

Hasn't been the same since Peter Austin left if you ask me.

They have also changed the tag line "from the Heart of the New Forest" to "Visit the Winding Downs" Ringwood is nowhere near the fecking Downs, it is fairly close to Lyndhurst which is the heart of the New Forest. At least they haven't shut the brewery and shunted production off to Burton or Wolverhampton...............yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewguru View Post

I bet the real reason other than the duty saving is that it's a similar strength to Old Empire, well so what they are completely different beers.

I notice that since Lees reduced Brewer's Dark and Moonraker a year or so back that Morrison's no longer stock them.
    I agree ,a total disgrace , Old Thumper is a classic of it's style, not so much my style nowadays , but I have fond memories from back in the day. I never really thought the best was anything special ,but now its worse, its a boring brown beer ranking alongside the likes of Doombar, Greenking IPA ,Courage Best and many others, its been blandomised, if thats a word?
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    I agree ,a total disgrace , Old Thumper is a classic of it's style, not so much my style nowadays , but I have fond memories from back in the day. I never really thought the best was anything special ,but now its worse, its a boring brown beer ranking alongside the likes of Doombar, Greenking IPA ,Courage Best and many others, its been blandomised, if thats a word?
    Its probably not a word but its a great new addition to the English language. nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    They have also changed the tag line "from the Heart of the New Forest" to "Visit the Winding Downs" Ringwood is nowhere near the fecking Downs, it is fairly close to Lyndhurst which is the heart of the New Forest. At least they haven't shut the brewery and shunted production off to Burton or Wolverhampton...............yet.
    This new tag was obviously dreamed up by some marketing moron in Burton who knows as much about Southern England geography as I do about Smartphones, QR Codes and celebrity gossip. Well done OldBoots, you know a lot more about Southern England than I do about Yorkshire, although I probably know more than your average southerner who would struggle to tell you which County (Riding) Leeds, Sheffield and York are in!

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

I loved Old Thumper, and would go for it in any pub I saw it served up. What a shame. I hate these tactics of spoiling a great beer.
    Alcohol doesn't solve problems .... but then again, neither does milk.