Ads not shown when logged in
Page 37 of 94 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: pubs galore bar

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield hatter View Post
    A = Magic Rock Cannonball, B = Harbour Five Summers, C = Allendale Dirty Deeds. I'll post this and then go and get the remains of the cans out of the fridge.
    The correct answer was as follows:

A = Allendale Dirty Deeds, B = Magic Rock Cannonball, C = Harbour Five Summers - so I got them all wrong!

But also, I reckon the blurb writers got them wrong too, because the Allendale was meant to be soft, fruity and juicy but it has a bitter finish, the Magic Rock was supposed to have a rasping bitterness but it tastes like bitter lemon and the Harbour was supposed to have a piney grapefruit aroma but it reminded me of marzipan and bubblegum. According to the blurb, these are three different styles of beer: American style pale ale; India Pale Ale in the true tradition; New England style IPA. If they were "true to style" they should all look, smell, and taste different enough to distinguish them from each other.

Actually, the main problem here is that they are three very similar beers, and trying to describe them is an absolute nightmare! Everyone's got different taste, and even when I try to take preconceptions and prejudice out of the equation (not to mention the fact that these beer styles are not really what I like best about beer), it's difficult to say what I like or don't like about each individual beer. But here goes.

Harbour Five Summers is a bit elusive, not much aroma, the taste subtle to the point of shyness, with a finish that is soft and flabby.

Allendale Dirty Deeds is supposed to be a NE IPA with soft fruitiness and juice all the way, but it has a big bitter finish.

Magic Rock Cannonball is a traditional IPA that fluffs its lines, with lemony bittersweetness where it should be "rasping".

None of them make any attempt to balance malt and hops, but then that's not the style, is it. That's not to say that any of these three is an unpleasant drink, but I wouldn't go for either the Cannonball or the Five Summers again. Not for the first time, the Allendale is my favourite beer of the blind tasting session. (And I've bought another can of last time's winner, Wanderlust. It's in the fridge for later.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

The correct answer was as follows:

A = Allendale Dirty Deeds, B = Magic Rock Cannonball, C = Harbour Five Summers - so I got them all wrong!

But also, I reckon the blurb writers got them wrong too, because the Allendale was meant to be soft, fruity and juicy but it has a bitter finish, the Magic Rock was supposed to have a rasping bitterness but it tastes like bitter lemon and the Harbour was supposed to have a piney grapefruit aroma but it reminded me of marzipan and bubblegum. According to the blurb, these are three different styles of beer: American style pale ale; India Pale Ale in the true tradition; New England style IPA. If they were "true to style" they should all look, smell, and taste different enough to distinguish them from each other.

Actually, the main problem here is that they are three very similar beers, and trying to describe them is an absolute nightmare! Everyone's got different taste, and even when I try to take preconceptions and prejudice out of the equation (not to mention the fact that these beer styles are not really what I like best about beer), it's difficult to say what I like or don't like about each individual beer. But here goes.

Harbour Five Summers is a bit elusive, not much aroma, the taste subtle to the point of shyness, with a finish that is soft and flabby.

Allendale Dirty Deeds is supposed to be a NE IPA with soft fruitiness and juice all the way, but it has a big bitter finish.

Magic Rock Cannonball is a traditional IPA that fluffs its lines, with lemony bittersweetness where it should be "rasping".

None of them make any attempt to balance malt and hops, but then that's not the style, is it. That's not to say that any of these three is an unpleasant drink, but I wouldn't go for either the Cannonball or the Five Summers again. Not for the first time, the Allendale is my favourite beer of the blind tasting session. (And I've bought another can of last time's winner, Wanderlust. It's in the fridge for later.)
    Only had Cannonball from that trio and although I highly rate Magic Rock I didn't particularly rate Cannonball either way, good or bad, for a beer of its strength it seemed a little middle of the road in any complexity or forward taste., but as I've mentioned before I can have a beer one day, not particularly like it and a couple of days later it hits the spot, so many factors affect taste. Just as well you did the tasting before your curry.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Mobyduck View Post
    Only had Cannonball from that trio and although I highly rate Magic Rock I didn't particularly rate Cannonball either way, good or bad, for a beer of its strength it seemed a little middle of the road in any complexity or forward taste., but as I've mentioned before I can have a beer one day, not particularly like it and a couple of days later it hits the spot, so many factors affect taste.
    Spot on there, Mick. Though I think John the other day said he liked this one. To me, the blurb says it all: "An India Pale Ale in the true tradition massively hopped, and higher abv to survive a long sea voyage. We’d don’t want you to wait though, crack the cap and let the flavour explode on your palate. Tropically fruity, resinous hops compete against a sweet malty backbone, while a rasping bitterness builds to a mouth puckering crescendo. This hop bomb will blow you out of the water . . ." Sorry guys, it doesn't do any of those things. So either that blurb is just guff, or they haven't succeeded in brewing what they thought they were brewing. For a suitable fee, they can use my description on their cans: "...a traditional IPA that fluffs its lines, with lemony bittersweetness where it should be rasping."

Just as well you did the tasting before your curry.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

The Beer Nut would be proud of that review.

This Space For Hire

Spot on there, Mick. Though I think John the other day said he liked this one. To me, the blurb says it all: "An India Pale Ale in the true tradition massively hopped, and higher abv to survive a long sea voyage. We’d don’t want you to wait though, crack the cap and let the flavour explode on your palate. Tropically fruity, resinous hops compete against a sweet malty backbone, while a rasping bitterness builds to a mouth puckering crescendo. This hop bomb will blow you out of the water . . ." Sorry guys, it doesn't do any of those things. So either that blurb is just guff, or they haven't succeeded in brewing what they thought they were brewing. For a suitable fee, they can use my description on their cans: "...a traditional IPA that fluffs its lines, with lemony bittersweetness where it should be rasping."

Life was simpler when most beers were boring brown.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Beer Nut would be proud of that review.
    Thanks John!
    Come On You Hatters!

Default Tonight at Sheffield Hatters Inn

A delivery from Harveys of Lewes today: a case of 12 cans of their stout, going cheap because near to the best before date; 12 bottles of their Imperial Russian Stout, which is based on the brew made at the Latvian brewery founded by the Belgian, Albert Le Coq (the label on the bottle is a facsimile); and 12 bottles of Elizabethan Ale, a barley wine.

I started with the stout, which was in tip top condition despite its journey from Sussex to South Yorkshire. "Smooth and bitter", it says on the tin; my main impression was of roasted barley malt, and very good it was too. Best before end of May? I can manage 12 cans in five days...

Next, the Imperial Stout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Come On You Hatters!

Next, the Imperial Stout.
    That should be very good.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

That should be very good.
    Oh yes! Tremendous. Just opening the bottle gives a great waft of alcohol and wine. Wine? Well, it could almost be an elderberry wine in some aspects, or possibly port. Also hints of coffee. And toffee? Certainly sweetness but also bitterness and a slightly sour impression (elderberries again). Loads of complexity, and always there in the background a very strong alcoholic bite. At 9%, this is not as strong as some Imperial Stouts I've had, but it really feels like it packs a punch.

If I recover, I shall have a go at the barley wine too.
    Come On You Hatters!

This Space For Hire

Walked up to the Owl and Pussycat to get some draught cask beer to try it but none of the five casks attracted me as much as the keg Citra Mosiac American ipa .Got 2 pints and a small bottle of imperial stout.
    Ealing brewery -Poka Haze 5.8 nice keg beer in good condition after about half a pint I rated it 7.75.After a pint rerated it 8.0.After 2 pints rerated it 8.25.This is is the problem of rating beers sometimes the more you drink imo the worse it gets and like tonight it sometimes gets better.
    Ealing brewery -IRS stout 9.5 lovely impy rate it 8.5
    Always found a half of Doombar tastes better than a pint.Might just be one of my foibles.