Ads not shown when logged in
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite gig

Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
    Have a few favourite gigs but the best ones were,

Sonic Youth - Royal Court, Liverpool 7/9/90;
    ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead - Manchester Uni, 30/11/2000;
    At The Drive-in - Manchester Uni, 3/12/00;
    and any of the 16 Half Man Half Biscuit gigs I've been to.

The sheer energy and noise of the first three and the sheer brilliance of HMHB.
    Think we probably have similar tastes - my all time favourite show was At The Drive-In playing in a tiny tent at the Reading festival in Aug 2000. I also saw ATDI and Trail of Dead on the same Dec 2000 tours as you - they were back to back with ATDI at the Camden Electric Ballroom on the first night and Trail of Dead the following evening at University of London Union (supported by some unknown band called Snow Patrol who were shite!!). Funnily enough, the last gig I went to was also Trail of Dead, a couple of weeks before lockdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Delboy20 View Post
    Another stand out for me was Donington Monsters of Rock 1988. I wasn't a massive rock fan - more of an Indie fan but what a weekend.
    Iron Maiden, Kiss, Van Halen and a memorable set from Guns'n'Roses.
    Maybe you've seen this before, but the BBC made a very entertaining documentary about heavy metal, most of which was filmed at the 1988 Monsters of Rock festival - the interviews with Iron Maiden in particular are unintentionally hilarious in a Spinal Tap kind of way!

https://vimeo.com/156233172

This Space For Hire

Another stand out for me was Donington Monsters of Rock 1988. I wasn't a massive rock fan - more of an Indie fan but what a weekend.
    Iron Maiden, Kiss, Van Halen and a memorable set from Guns'n'Roses.
    I was in the thick of it for the Roses and witnessed the pile up of people when sadly 2 lost their lives. I got separated from my brother and never saw him again all day - no mobiles back then! As I left the gig at the end of the night a copper on the door was asking if anybody had lost touch with anyone as there had been 2 deaths. I said yes and was led off to a police tent to try and identify the bodies. After giving a description of my brother I was spared actually looking at the bodies but they were there covered by sheets. Quite a harrowing experience but one I'll never forget.
    My brother was already back at our tent drinking so no harm done - we had a good night after all.
    Listened to Guns and Roses -sweet child of mine earlier tonight .Quality guitar solos.

Quote Originally Posted by Pubsignman View Post
    Maybe you've seen this before, but the BBC made a very entertaining documentary about heavy metal, most of which was filmed at the 1988 Monsters of Rock festival - the interviews with Iron Maiden in particular are unintentionally hilarious in a Spinal Tap kind of way!

https://vimeo.com/156233172
    There was an Arena special filmed at the time and broadcast on BBC 2. They were filming in Donnington Village the night before the gig (Friday). I have the dubious honour of being on the "telly" that night along with my brother as they filmed outside one of the pubs. As you can imagine the night before was not for the faint hearted with most people in a right state. Happy days though!

I am a salmon !!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    Listened to Guns and Roses -sweet child of mine earlier tonight .Quality guitar solos.
    Classic track from a great album. They were not that well known at the time hence being on so early in the day.

I was more of a classic British rock fan, the Cult and Black Sabbath being my favourite metal bands.

I am a salmon !!

This Space For Hire

My wife has not been to a gig ever and only likes ska reggae and motown. Plenty of theatre visits and Motown weekends but never a concert.

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Black Sabbath being my favourite metal bands.
    They now have a canal bridge named after them at Broad Street ,Birmingham.
    "Good people drink good beer" Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    They now have a canal bridge named after them at Broad Street ,Birmingham.
    Yes there is - I must confess to taking a photo of it!

I am a salmon !!

Real Ale Drinker

Also great was the Rollercoaster tour with The Jesus And Mary Chain, Dinosaur Jr, My Bloody Valentine and, strangely, Blur at Manchester Apollo 24/3/92.
    Mary Chain were decent and Blur were OK I guess, however, both Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine were simply stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    My wife has not been to a gig ever and only likes ska reggae and motown. Plenty of theatre visits and Motown weekends but never a concert.
    My better half saw the Who at Charlton Athletic and occasionally frequented the Top of the Pops studio when she was young.