Ads not shown when logged in
Page 11 of 56 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Your plans in upcoming weeks

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Doesn't sound like we'll cross paths then BF, I've started my Grand Union walk but so far I'm only at Uxbridge having done the Paddington Arm and back to Brentford. Have a few days off so should be at Rickmansworth by the end of the week and possibly Kings Langley over the weekend. I should really head to Slough too but it doesn't look too inspiring. I know I will though.

A few ok pubs so far and a few not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    I should really head to Slough too but it doesn't look too inspiring. I know I will though.
    It isn't, I had to work there for 18 months.

However the Rose & Crown should make it worthwhile assuming it hasn't changed.

It's still in the GBG2011 so here's hoping.

It's the only proper pub in central Slough.

If you do go and there's a black & white sheepdog lying across the doorway guarding it, say hello to Rex for me.
    A pub is for life not just for Christmas

Waterborne Beer Inspector Bucking Fastard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Al 10000 View Post
    Hi BF,

When going up the Erewash canal Sawley is worth a visit 5 pubs and 4 of them have real ale on,Sandiacre has got 5 pubs 4 open at moment and they all have real ale on,Once in Ilkeston the Gallows inn next to a lock now has real ale on and in the town centre i would advise visiting the Poacher and Spanish bar these are almost opposite each other and have a very good choice of real ales on.

Alan
    Thanks Al ,that's really helpful.We will probably moor up in Sandiacre,have a quick beer then get a cab to Derby which I hear has some outstanding boozers.The info on Ilkeston helps a great deal as well,I expect to visit all three pubs you mention.Do you rate the Dewdrop,the moorings near there are a bit quieter .?

Quote Originally Posted by ROBCamra View Post
    It isn't, I had to work there for 18 months.

However the Rose & Crown should make it worthwhile assuming it hasn't changed.

It's still in the GBG2011 so here's hoping.

It's the only proper pub in central Slough.

If you do go and there's a black & white sheepdog lying across the doorway guarding it, say hello to Rex for me.
    I know but if I'm walking a route I feel I need to do all of it, for completeness sake. Looks like an ok pub or two around Iver to make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Doesn't sound like we'll cross paths then BF, I've started my Grand Union walk but so far I'm only at Uxbridge having done the Paddington Arm and back to Brentford. Have a few days off so should be at Rickmansworth by the end of the week and possibly Kings Langley over the weekend. I should really head to Slough too but it doesn't look too inspiring. I know I will though.

A few ok pubs so far and a few not so great.
    The old tub is moored in Rickmansworth and I hope to shift it on further on Monday .May get to Leighton Buzzard by Wednesday next week but not boating this weekend sadly.I didn't get to Slough either,maybe later in the year .

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ven View Post
    Keep us posted !
    Certainly will do so,I will also need to tap you locals for pub info nearer the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucking Fastard View Post
    The old tub is moored in Rickmansworth and I hope to shift it on further on Monday .May get to Leighton Buzzard by Wednesday next week but not boating this weekend sadly.I didn't get to Slough either,maybe later in the year .
    I'll keep my eyes open for it then, either tomorrow or Friday depending on weather/domestic demands. If you hear someone shout Mr Fastard I presume then It'll be me!

I'll stay on me own

Hi BF,

The Dewdrop is a large victorian pub and there is a decent choice of beers on the bar but there are no other pubs near it and the moorings should be quiet there.

In Sandiacre the Red Lion has got Olde Trip on at the moment the Plough is also next to the canal and there is Bass and two others nothing special though

The Blue bell is just up the road from the Plough and there are three real ales on here on last visit Bombadier, Bass

The Bridge Inn is near the old Derby canal and you can walk along this from the locks in Sandiacre.

There are quite a few moorings in Sandiacre these are in the middle of town and there are at the moment three narrow boats moored there with people living on them these hav'nt moved for quite a while.

I know this area very well if you need any more imformation i will galadly help you out.

Cheers Alan

Pussy Galore No 1 Oggwyn Trench's Avatar

Should be doing Ludlow in a few weeks time , beautifull town with lots of nice looking pubs but very few reviews . Then later in the year looking to do Wem , Whitchurch and Ellesmere up in north Shropshire and Church Stretton and the South Shropshire hills if i can work out the patchy local bus service .
    Really should get to the pubs around Dawley and surrounding areas in South Telford but i just cant motivate myself as most of them are dumps
    Theres a Man with a Mullet going Mad with a Mallet in Millets !

A fleeting visit to York coming up but to celebrate a notable wedding anniversary so ale opportunities may be limited. I'm hopeful of at least a visit to The Maltings and anything else will be a bonus to be bestowed by a, hopefully, benign and cheerful Mrs Phat.