Ads not shown when logged in
Page 34 of 63 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: How much?

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    The Grovenor Hanwell poured me 3/4 pint of Siren -yu lu 3.8 tonight and while I was waiting for it to settle before he topped it up he asked for £6 .I walked out of the pub.
    Pro rata this sounds like the most expensive pint I've ever heard of: £8.00. Taking account of inflation, that probably beats my pint at The York & Albany which is run by Sweary Gordon. And I only went there because I heard a rumour it would be demolished.

This Space For Hire

Is Brentford ready for the £15 a pint beer.The Royal Oak on one of the corners of the football ground has been done up and is now The Brook.They have a keg 11.5 imperial stout from an American brewer Hardywood at this Awesome price. They had Titanic -plum porter on cask at £4.90 a pint which is no bargain either.

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by oldboots View Post
    Whilst walking in the vicinity of The Prince Alfred I happened upon three orange drinking vouchers in the gutter so decided to pop in for a Proper Job or two and guess what? Paid for in cash, the price drops from £5.20 a pint to £4.65 and the same for both pints, so not an error. I wonder if this is the bank's commission or a tip? Either way, it may be a wise decision in future to ask when in a pub if there's a difference in price between cash/cashless unless the price is displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    it may be a wise decision in future to ask when in a pub if there's a difference in price between cash/cashless unless the price is displayed.
    It seems drinking is becoming far from a simple task.
    "Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer."
    -W.C.Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Tris39 View Post
    Whilst walking in the vicinity of The Prince Alfred I happened upon three orange drinking vouchers in the gutter so decided to pop in for a Proper Job or two and guess what? Paid for in cash, the price drops from £5.20 a pint to £4.65 and the same for both pints, so not an error. I wonder if this is the bank's commission or a tip? Either way, it may be a wise decision in future to ask when in a pub if there's a difference in price between cash/cashless unless the price is displayed.
    This must now be illegal? Card surcharge ban means no more nasty surprises for shoppers

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    Discount for cash?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Discount for cash?
    I think you would have a hard job convincing Trading Standards that there was a meaningful difference between "discount for cash" and "surcharge for card"...

This Space For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    I think you would have a hard job convincing Trading Standards that there was a meaningful difference between "discount for cash" and "surcharge for card"...
    Depends how foramlised it is. You can't sell something for more than the ticket price, but there's no issue striking an informal bargain for less. If someone said "five pounds for cash" that would be fair enough. If their were two separate prices baked into the tills, then I agree there is no difference between a discount and a surcharge.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    You can't sell something for more than the ticket price/.
    That's absolutely right. A year or two back I went to day 1 of a JDW "festival" and the woman behind the bar was trying to charge me 10p more than the displayed price. Neither of us were giving way then it occurred to me to ask if she was using the festival ale price and she wasn't. The issue was resolved amicably but I know I was right.
    Going back to the original thread I paid £1;29 for a pint of Arkell's Kingsdown in the Newcastle Mile Castle on Wednesday. It was fine and I paid in cash. The big difference between JDW and other pub chains is that you're more likely to be ripped off due to staff incompetence rather than blatant fraud. Having said that, way back in the early days of the Wanstead George a manager set up a separate cask of ale on gravity where the money didn't go through the till. Needless to say he got found out and was sacked!

This Space For Hire

Some lady drinker on twitter complained that when she asked for a taster of a £15 a pint beer they told her it would cost £1.30.She did not name the pub but others suggested it was a Greene King pub.