Ads not shown when logged in
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: One post whingers

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Millay View Post
    I'd noticed the guidelines and they look sensible. I'm not sure they'll make much difference to the twitteranti or those returning from a particularly poor Sunday lunch experience.

Conrad, I'm sensing that, as well as being informative, you also see these guidelines as a defensive measure against the litigious. This is the www so people can actually post what they want. But provided the site has provided guidelines as to what is and is not acceptable, and makes a reasonable attempt at 'keeping it clean', then I'd have thought the site has a pretty defendable case.

I'd be interested in your thoughts Conrad, and those of others of course.
    The Guidelines are intended as just that guidelines on how you review. I guess the major issue is that when we delete reviews we explain why we do it and this explanation gets sent to the reviewer, we do this because we think that remaining transparent is the right way to do things. The inevitable next step is that the reviewer contacts us and tells us how we are morons and their review was completely legitimate (if I had any sense I would reply and point them at our forum as they would fit right in here) and that they will never leave another review on our site, a great loss as I am sure you will all appreciate. Now there is obviously nothing stopping us deleting any old review we want in reality, but it is nice if we have at least attempted to advise them that if you behave inappropriately you will be deleted, and that is where the guidelines come in.

In terms of the litigious, they make no difference, broadly speaking as long as we can be contacted, and we make every effort to address any concerns in a timely manner then there is no case against us - and where there is we can then sue the poster assuming we can track them down. The simple truth is though if we get sued the site is being closed and we throw in the towel, there is no defence fund. The advertising on the site doesn't even cover the cost of hosting it, every month me and Dave effectively dip into our pockets to keep it running. Now clearly we wont be complaining if it ever does make money (although I am buggered if I know how that is going to happen), but it doesn't alter the reality of the situation that it won't exist at all if a licensee gets wound up to the point where they sue.

Anyway, forget I mentioned it, I will certainly be doing my best to forget I mentioned it.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by Gann View Post
    I believe that no one has had a go at ansering Robs original question...

Why is this? Is it via Facebook?

I think the answer is ... yes.
    Nick actually made a damn good stab at it. As far as we can tell he is pretty much spot on.

Whilst Facebook may facilitate a few of the posters as it makes registration as simple as one click it is far more to do with a slightly improved visibility on Google allowing these posters to find our site on those Sunday afternoons.

This Space For Hire gillhalfpint's Avatar

This female is about to go out for Sunday lunch to the Star at Vogue where they serve good beer and excellent pensioners 2 course lunch for £6.50 with choice of meats for the lunch and selection of puds to drool over.

There is often a twig on the table but no candles or fairy lights.

The insults are mutually bandied about between the staff and customers making a great friendly atmosphere.

Car park often shared with the local petange teams who have their boules matches there.

Carry on your debates in my absence - will catch up with you again later. Seconds out..............

This Space For Hire

Father's day strikes....

The Greyhound Inn

Fully paid up beer belly Farway's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gillhalfpint View Post
    This female is about to go out for Sunday lunch to the Star at Vogue where they serve good beer and excellent pensioners 2 course lunch for £6.50 with choice of meats for the lunch and selection of puds to drool over.

There is often a twig on the table but no candles or fairy lights.

The insults are mutually bandied about between the staff and customers making a great friendly atmosphere.

Car park often shared with the local petange teams who have their boules matches there.

Carry on your debates in my absence - will catch up with you again later. Seconds out..............
    As per Sam Goldwyn, include me out

This Space For Hire

Default Compare and Contrast

Quote Originally Posted by NickDavies View Post
    Alas they neglected to mention the 7 Jaegerbombs, table dancing and spewing up over the bar later on. Coyness...