Ads not shown when logged in
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: London Postcodes

Sorry, I am trying to be constructive and and not moaning about anybody (least of all Strongers). My point was that 'border issues' are always a problem, no matter how big or small the geographical areas may be (and that they only way of eliminating this is to have no borders at all - not that I am suggesting this as a sensible solution). Apologies if my comment wasn't welcome, but your "don't moan at people who are trying to contribute" request surely applies to you (in respect on me) too...
    Last edited by rpadam; 16-02-2010 at 23:22.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Quote Originally Posted by rpadam View Post
    My point was that 'border issues' are always a problem, no matter how big or small the geographical areas may be (and that they only way of eliminating this is to have no borders at all - not that I am suggesting this as a sensible solution).
    The data exists without borders, that is the Pubs Galore site at its most fundamental, it contains all the data, any borders we place on it are artificial and just ways of grouping the data. If you want to deal with the data without borders, just type a search in the search box at the top right of the Pubs Galore site. If you type 'Red Lion' in the search it will find all Red Lions in the UK (or at least the first 250) without applying any borders.

As well as this it is useful to apply groupings though so that users can also browse the site, and the ideal is to find a grouping that makes the site most usable to most people. This means that when thinking about groupings it is useful to think about those who don't know the area, as those who do are more likely to overcome hurdles in the groupings as they are better equipped to do so. In that respect I am finding this thread very useful where people are offering me, as someone who doesn't know London, a lot of free advice.

Apologies if my comment wasn't welcome,
    Your comment wasn't welcome, particularly 2 minutes after this one. In that thread, 3 times I have explained my logic and 3 times you have told me I am wrong whilst not offering a solution. The last comment in that thread, and the comment in this thread for me just amount to trolling, nothing good was ever going to come from them.

but your "don't moan at people who are trying to contribute" request surely applies to you (in respect on me) too...
    Sorry, no it doesn't. Whilst it may seem like a joke that I put Dictator in my title, it is the truth. These forums are moderated, ultimately I will engage in all sorts of censorship to try and keep them on track. Whilst you may feel I am 'moaning' at you, I am actually trying to warn you that if you persist in unhelpful behaviour I will begin to censor your ability to post. This would clearly be a pity as you have demonstrated that you have a great deal of value to contribute to this site that everyone can enjoy.

Sorry that post seems to be a bit unrelenting. I would prefer to just move on from this now, feel free to PM me if you wish to continue discussing this, but I would rather this thread were now left to discussing the issue of London postcodes & borders.

Spritzer Swallower

In reply to Rex-Rattus view on London postcodes
    When you look up an address of a pub with a London postcode everything goes OK except when you enter the realms of SW1 -W1- NW1 most addresses only use the previous mentioned codes and if you have a pub with a name & address under one of the codes you are now left to fathom out which one they come under on the new format ?and have to go through everyone before you find it, whereas before you looked up the name under the postcode under the SW1-W1-NW1 and low and behold there it is,perfect. I have asked Conrad to look at this but he says it is what most people want, I now ask the question who are they?

Former Pubs Galore Coder

Time to resurrect this old thread.

We have just done a new site release. I am guessing that it will initially look like a step backwards when you look at Central London (and Greater London once I sort that later).

If you look down the list we have incorporated your suggestions for SW1 & W1. It would be fantastic if you could start adding all the pubs in London to their districts areas, I think once the experts sort them out it should look a lot better and make more sense. One of the important qualities about this new change is that a pub can be in more than one area, so if there is confusion about which area a pub belongs in, chuck it in both.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Sorting out the London pubs sounds like a daunting task to me! I expect Hercules would have had second thoughts - "No way - where are the Stygian Stables?". But I'm sure we'll get cracking and get there in the end. As you say it will then all make more sense. I have to say that it looks good. I expect I'm going to have to think about where one place ends and another begins, as it is often very unclear (to me at least) where London is concerned. I'll probably have some more thoughts once I've tried it out.

Former Pubs Galore Coder

If it is unclear it is fine to put it in more than 1 area.

Just to be clear before cracking on,

Hampstead for instance, should I be changing the postal address from 'NW3 (postal town)' to 'Hampstead' and then adding 'Belsize Park' in other areas nearby? Does it make any odds if I have also added Hampstead as an area nearby as well as changing the postal address to Hampstead

I hope this is clear.
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES

Former Pubs Galore Coder

You can't actually change the postal address, that is something we have to do on the database.

This simply allows you to add areas to the pub, then that pub will show in that area (once approved).

More instructions here.

Hopefully that answers it.

Get some gravy on it. Maldenman's Avatar
    Motspur Park or whichever pub I happen to be in at the time.

Well I've just had a go at a few local ones, seems simple enough but I'll leave it for now just to make sure I'm doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldenman View Post
    Well I've just had a go at a few local ones, seems simple enough but I'll leave it for now just to make sure I'm doing it right.
    Yep, I've done Hampstead and I'm going to leave it for the same reasons. I am a little concerned that the link to Hampstead has been approved on some of the pubs I have done, but a search for Hampstead comes up blank. Will this change or does the postcode have to be put in to get a choice of areas in that code?
    WE ARE THE BREADMEN - UP THE BEES